Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Multi-Ladder

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:58:08 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:22:15 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 08:48:26 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 04:37:14 -0700 (PDT), Bob Simon
wrote:

My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of burned out bulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see that Harbor Freight has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a similar ladder and how it worked out for them.

I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume I'd only need to use this ladder a couple times a year, nevertheless, I'll buy something else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.
Bob Simon
New Orleans

Keep in mind the multi ladders are pretty heavy. I had a heavy duty
20 foot multi-ladder for about 15 years and traded it straight up for
my neighbors cheap 20 foot extension ladder.
It was just a hassle to use, especially as I got older.
Have you looked into the stick bulb-changers?

My Little Giant multi ladder was gifted to me. About 19 foot
extended. Sure is heavy, ~ 85 lbs, welded aircraft quality AL. Flared
legs for stability -- with a leg extension attachment.

Gave my neighbor an EXT ladder from previous owner leaving.

OP:

- borrow a ladder from next door in a similar situation.

- rent a multi ladder for a day.

I have a love / hate relationship with ladders. Need to send a young
ladder monkey up there

+1 on the weight. And that's one thing I'd carefully evaluate with
the HF one. The Little Giants are heavy for a reason and that leads
to them being very sturdy and stable. How stable will the HF one be?
How comfortable are you on a ladder it it shakes a bit?

As Bob pointed out, if there is an attic above the chandelier, you
can put in a hoist. I have one, works with a wireless remote.
It only cost me a few hundred bucks, well worth it.

I can see the fixture itself coming down, but what about the wires? Does
the fixture "disconnect" or do the wires coil around the hoist along with
the hoist cable?