Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Price of R22

Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days? Figure
residential central air and sold / installed by a professional, licensed
tech on a service call. Service call & labor charged separately. I'm
sure it's gone way up in recent years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days? Figure
residential central air and sold / installed by a professional,
licensed tech on a service call. Service call & labor charged
separately. I'm sure it's gone way up in recent years.

Saw something on TeeVee the other day , IIRC it's around 40-50 bucks a
pound .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2016 7:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days? Figure
residential central air and sold / installed by a professional, licensed
tech on a service call. Service call & labor charged separately. I'm
sure it's gone way up in recent years.

It was way up, but it has come down now that new units are not using it.
Most of what is available has been recovered. I'll let you know once
we get the bill from our service company.They are charging our R-22
system tomorrow.

IIC, it was $60+ a few years ago and is now closer to $40 to $50.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2016 11:25 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
It migh not be the actual cost of the R22. Last year I had a service
call that turned out to be a bad capacitor. For a less than $ 50
capacitor ( allowing a fair markup) it cost me about $ 350 for the
service call. The service man was here just long enough to take a cover
off the unit, look at the capacitor, go to his truck and get one.
Almost no time to find and replace the bad capacitor.

One time, I paid $91 for a twenty minute job,
changing a master brake cylinder on my van.
"we just flat rated it out."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2016 11:53 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 6/19/2016 8:25 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
It migh not be the actual cost of the R22. Last year I had a service
call that turned out to be a bad capacitor. For a less than $ 50
capacitor ( allowing a fair markup) it cost me about $ 350 for the
service call. The service man was here just long enough to take a cover
off the unit, look at the capacitor, go to his truck and get one.
Almost no time to find and replace the bad capacitor.

They don't even bother to fake it anymore.

Knowledge.
Parts.
Tools.
Skills.

Some times, the parts is the smallest section
of the final bill. One tradesman I used to know
said one time "if they could do the job, they
would do it them selves and never call you. You
can do the job, they can't. And you have to
charge accordingly."

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days?

Who is "they"? Amazon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

D. Fault wrote:

On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days?

Who is "they"? Amazon?

Who "they" are is clearly spelled out in the orginal question:

"a professional, licensed tech on a service call"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2016 9:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I never said they should only bill for the cost of the capacitor. But
why stop at $350 for a 5 minute service call. Why not $1350?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent wrote:
I never said they should only bill for the cost of the capacitor. But
why stop at $350 for a 5 minute service call. Why not $1350?

How much time did it actually take, incluiding driving to & from the
customer? You have a tech who being paid all day, a truck, and a lot of
parts in that truck, plus what I presume is hefty insurance, especially
liability.

$350 sounds steep but it's clear they can't just charge 5 minutes and
expect to stay in business. I have no idea what the going rate is as I've
not had a tech out in a while. I had a bad condensing unit cap several
years ago but I was able to take care of that myself by picking one up at
Grainger the next day. Similarly a stuck contactor one time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2016 5:41 AM, Big Giant Head wrote:
D. Fault wrote:

On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days?

Who is "they"? Amazon?

Who "they" are is clearly spelled out in the orginal question:

"a professional, licensed tech on a service call"

I just asked the service company owner. Right now he is paying $30 a
pound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Taxed and Spent wrote:
I never said they should only bill for the cost of the capacitor. But
why stop at $350 for a 5 minute service call. Why not $1350?

How much time did it actually take, incluiding driving to & from the
customer? You have a tech who being paid all day, a truck, and a lot of
parts in that truck, plus what I presume is hefty insurance, especially
liability.

$350 sounds steep but it's clear they can't just charge 5 minutes and
expect to stay in business. I have no idea what the going rate is as I've
not had a tech out in a while. I had a bad condensing unit cap several
years ago but I was able to take care of that myself by picking one up at
Grainger the next day. Similarly a stuck contactor one time.

I did not go into the whole story. When I called about the heatpump I
was told it would be a $ 89 service call to find out what was wrong.
Reasonable to me.
In probably 10 minuits he had found the bad capacitor and replaced it,
maybe not that long. Then came the shocker.. We were talking while he
was working and I told him I worked on many electrical and other things
at work. He asked me what I thought the capacitor would cost to replace
it and I guessed $ 50 knowing that was way high just to get one at the
parts store.

He showed me a chart of the standard company repair charges and that
capacitor was in the $ 350 level. Funny thing about the level of
charges was that he said he could give it a 'spring tuneup' for $ 100
that included cleaning the coils inside and outside. It took him much
longer to do that. I had him to do that so I could see how it was done.
I learned a lot from that.

I got on ebay and ordered a capacitor and a relay that may go bad at
sometime so I can replace them myself the next time. The total cost was
less than $ 30 for both of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2016 6:16 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 6/19/2016 9:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

They don't even bother to fake it anymore.

Knowledge.
Parts.
Tools.
Skills.

Some times, the parts is the smallest section
of the final bill. One tradesman I used to know
said one time "if they could do the job, they
would do it them selves and never call you. You
can do the job, they can't. And you have to
charge accordingly."

-

I never said they should only bill for the cost of the capacitor. But
why stop at $350 for a 5 minute service call. Why not $1350?

That sure is a deep, philisophical question.
I don't have the answer.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2016 7:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Taxed and Spent wrote:
[...]

I have a lady friend who lives in a more expensive town a couple over.
She hates it when she calls a service guy or contractor, and the first
thing they ask is "what city do you live in?" She gets charged more
because of where she lives - not distance, but house prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

D. Fault wrote:

On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days?

Who is "they"? Amazon?

Who "they" are is clearly spelled out in the orginal question:

"a professional, licensed tech on a service call"

I just asked the service company owner. Right now he is paying $30 a
pound.

Yeah , that's HIS cost , but what is he charging his customers for it ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

D. Fault wrote:

On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days?

Who is "they"? Amazon?

Who "they" are is clearly spelled out in the orginal question:

"a professional, licensed tech on a service call"

I just asked the service company owner. Right now he is paying $30 a
pound.

Yeah , that's HIS cost , but what is he charging his customers for it ?

I'll let you know when we get the bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

D. Fault wrote:

On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days?

Who is "they"? Amazon?

Who "they" are is clearly spelled out in the orginal question:

"a professional, licensed tech on a service call"

I just asked the service company owner. Right now he is paying $30 a
pound.

Yeah , that's HIS cost , but what is he charging his customers for it ?

I'll let you know when we get the bill.

The gas itself is not that expensive these days. Getting a guy to put
it in is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a lady friend who lives in a more expensive town a couple over.
She hates it when she calls a service guy or contractor, and the first
thing they ask is "what city do you live in?" She gets charged more
because of where she lives - not distance, but house prices.

You could put a positive slant on it and say they are giving a discount to
those less able to pay!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Giant Head" wrote in message

Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a lady friend who lives in a more expensive town a couple over.
She hates it when she calls a service guy or contractor, and the first
thing they ask is "what city do you live in?" She gets charged more
because of where she lives - not distance, but house prices.

You could put a positive slant on it and say they are giving a discount to
those less able to pay!

That could be truth however it also known fact, that different town have
different user tax laws!
State and city taxes are base where the work was perform and not where the
service company is located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2016 10:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I got on ebay and ordered a capacitor and a relay that may go bad at
sometime so I can replace them myself the next time.

Flea-bay? Really?
For a few dollars more you could have bought a quality "Made in USA" cap from Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buzz N. Sizzler wrote:
On 6/20/2016 10:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I got on ebay and ordered a capacitor and a relay that may go bad at
sometime so I can replace them myself the next time.

Flea-bay? Really?
For a few dollars more you could have bought a quality "Made in USA"
cap from Amazon.

How do you know the one he bought isn't a quality made in USA part ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/20/2016 07:14 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Buzz N. Sizzler wrote:
On 6/20/2016 10:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I got on ebay and ordered a capacitor and a relay that may go bad at
sometime so I can replace them myself the next time.

Flea-bay? Really?
For a few dollars more you could have bought a quality "Made in USA"
cap from Amazon.

How do you know the one he bought isn't a quality made in USA part ?

Everybody and their brother is a big-time importer/seller on ebay.
How would a buyer know if the item was genuine or a cheap china knock-off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
says...

On 6/20/2016 10:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I got on ebay and ordered a capacitor and a relay that may go bad at
sometime so I can replace them myself the next time.

Flea-bay? Really?
For a few dollars more you could have bought a quality "Made in USA" cap from Amazon.

Just because something comes from ebay does not mean it could not be
made in the US. Buying form Amazon does not mean it is made in the US
either. I looked and this particular one came from Mexico. Amazon has
the same brand.

It does not make any difference where an item is made, but what company
makes it and how it is made.

I buy a lot of things by mail. Some from Amazon, ebay, and the beter
known and not so beter known supply houses. It just depends on where the
best price is for the item I want.

When someone says 'quality made in the US" I think of all the pieces of
junk cars made in the US or designed by the companies in the US even
though most are made in another country now. Switched over to the Jap
cars around 1981 and been happy with them. I did buy a new Ford in the
late 90's and that turned into a bad mistake. Got rid of it at about
30,000 miles. First thing to go was the inition switch. Never had one
of those to go out on any other car in my life. Another car (Dodge)
only made it to about 20,000 before I got rid of it. That thing had a
habit of not starting for some reason. The dealer could not find the
problem after around 10 trips back to them. An uncle bought one similar
to that and he was always having some problem with his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 7:28:29 PM UTC-4, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days? Figure
residential central air and sold / installed by a professional, licensed
tech on a service call. Service call & labor charged separately. I'm
sure it's gone way up in recent years.

All I can say is "BOHICA". Start saving for a new system. Your electric bill and recharge bills should go way down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When someone says 'quality made in the US" I think of all the pieces of
junk cars made in the US or designed by the companies in the US even
though most are made in another country now.

This brought a smile to my face as I look at my recently washed and
waxed 1995 Ford Thunderbird with 94,000 miles sitting in the garage. I
purchased it new in June of 1995 to replace my 10 year old 1985 Ford
Thunderbird that had 234,000 miles on the odometer. I sold the '85 to a
new driver who totaled it in two months time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 7:28:29 PM UTC-4, Big Giant Head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days? Figure
residential central air and sold / installed by a professional, licensed
tech on a service call. Service call & labor charged separately. I'm
sure it's gone way up in recent years.

Well I just paid $425 plus tax for a 30lb tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well I just paid $425 plus tax for a 30lb tank.

Decent enough price compared to Amazon ($510-555) though maybe more than
from Craigslist or eBay (typically around $400).

But the question was about what HVAC service businesses are charging (yes,
a pun!) their customers.

"Instant Rebate" rather than "Price drop" or "Sale Price" -- Why? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 28 November 25th 15 08:40 PM
SA 200 price SteveB[_15_] Metalworking 2 March 26th 14 09:42 AM
Scrap price vs useable price for I beams David.WE.Roberts UK diy 6 July 16th 13 08:04 PM
Why not? The price is right... Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 2 September 18th 07 08:36 PM
IC Price Database -- You can query price of 1,147,000 IC Types! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 30th 06 03:46 PM