Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Easy minor water leak repair?

Sometimes you have a small connection leak in a water system that you do
not have to time to properly repair right now - teflon tape on threads,
replace connector, whatever.

For example, I've been pestered with these problems in the water feed to
my evaporative cooler the past few days but have other urgent more
important problems to take care of. Fix one of those 'little' problems
and a related one soon arises. You know how often the 'simple' little
problems one starts on multiply and end up taking many hours you really
don't have to spare. Trip to store, searching for that special tool,
added related problems, accidents during repair that cause new problems,
etc.

To get to my question - is there a spray or tape product that one can use
to quickly temporarily fix such problems until you have the time to deal
with them properly?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 10:01:03 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
[...]

a buddy of mine cleanded and dried the area very well, he heated the connection with a torch to dry it out, then cleaned and applied epoxy.

the problem a temporary fix can have? it might begin leaking later when no one is home

the moisture trapped in the joint can prevent a leak free fix.

if it was mine i would call a plumber or fix it right
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jun 2016 14:00:58 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...]

Permatex makes various products that "may"work:

Non Hardening sealants, thread lockers and thread locker gels. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2016 7:00 AM, KenK wrote:
Sometimes you have a small connection leak in a water system that you do
not have to time to properly repair right now - teflon tape on threads,
replace connector, whatever.

For example, I've been pestered with these problems in the water feed to
my evaporative cooler the past few days but have other urgent more
important problems to take care of. Fix one of those 'little' problems
and a related one soon arises. You know how often the 'simple' little
problems one starts on multiply and end up taking many hours you really
don't have to spare. Trip to store, searching for that special tool,
added related problems, accidents during repair that cause new problems,
etc.

"Plumbing takes three trips"

To get to my question - is there a spray or tape product that one can use
to quickly temporarily fix such problems until you have the time to deal
with them properly?

Depends on where the leak is located. E.g., pinhole leaks in a copper pipe
would be handled differently than a failed compression fitting.

Note that you also need to be concerned with how easily you can
"undo" any damage your PTF (permanent temporary fix) causes. You
probably don't want to turn a 2 hour repair into a weekend job!

Where are your leaks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I prefer to put a clamp around a rubber tape or plug as a temporary fix, easily undone and doesn't damage anything that would preclude a "real" fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:41:37 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Where are your leaks?

On the swamp cooler. OP said so? I'd not worry about a minor leak for
a reasonable duration. The unit uses water to cool your skin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2016 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

If you don't have time to fix it correctly, when will you have time
to do it over? That said... yeah, hose clamps with rubber from an
old innertube... slip couplings ... hacksaw or sawsall with a metal
cutting blade and various plugs, caps, tees, ells, pieces and sizes of
pipe... think rent house standards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've never tried it, and probably never will, but it seems to answer your
"quickly temporarily fix" question. This is just one example of this type
of product:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-2-o...hesive/3389026

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jun 2016 14:00:58 GMT, KenK wrote:

To get to my question - is there a spray or tape product that one can use
to quickly temporarily fix such problems until you have the time to deal
with them properly?

If not, might try to drain the leak water to some place safe. A
trough to the eave? A piece of scrap gutter?

Ultimate example, medium-small ieak under sink, filled bucket. I
emptied bucket but didn't want to do that every hour, all night, so
put the bucket on a box ,ran a siphon tube from the bucket to under
the toilet seat (had to uise a big plastic soda straw to make it long
enough) and amazingly, once the siphon started going, it was
self-regulating, and drained faster when the bucket level was high,
and slower when it was low. Took no tending in the two weeks it
took for the landlord to send a plumber. I don't know how to
predict what kind of siphon will do this. Some relationship between
the maximum and minimum heights of the water, and the length and
diameter of the hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

i had a drain leak under my sink the trap had rusted. so i wrapped the trap with electric tape, that fixed the leak, and i honestly forgot about it......

till perhaps 5 years later, i discovered it again.......

all hat reaimed was the tape the trap was totally rusted away. I was redoing the kitchen so it didnt matter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 5:18:46 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
[...]

all hat remaimed was the tape the trap was totally rusted away. I was redoing the kitchen so it didnt matter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2016 5:20 PM, bob haller wrote:
i had a drain leak under my sink the trap had rusted. so i wrapped the trap with electric tape, that fixed the leak, and i honestly forgot about it......

till perhaps 5 years later, i discovered it again.......

all hat reaimed was the tape the trap was totally rusted away. I was redoing the kitchen so it didnt matter

i had a drain leak under my sink the trap had rusted. so i wrapped the trap with electric tape, that fixed the leak, and i honestly forgot about it......

till perhaps 5 years later, i discovered it again.......

all hat remaimed was the tape the trap was totally rusted away. I was redoing the kitchen so it didnt matter

HF used to have some plumbers leak tape. I've used it,
but on a drain I have not checked since then. Might
have worked, might not.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in
:

On 6/11/2016 7:00 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Currently water feed to swamp cooler. At garden hose connection to the
reducer that feeds the small connector and line the cooler uses. Then
another at the cooler itself. I 'fixed' both of these a week ago with
some teflon tape on the threads but evidently that wasn't enough as the
leaks returned after a few days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2016 1:41 PM, KenK wrote:
Currently water feed to swamp cooler. At garden hose connection to the
reducer that feeds the small connector and line the cooler uses. Then
another at the cooler itself. I 'fixed' both of these a week ago with
some teflon tape on the threads but evidently that wasn't enough as the
leaks returned after a few days.

My old boss used teflon tape, and then some
Rectorseal #5 on top of the teflon tape.
Worked well, for him.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2016 7:00 AM, KenK wrote:
Sometimes you have a small connection leak in a water system that you do
not have to time to properly repair right now - teflon tape on threads,
replace connector, whatever.

I do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/13/2016 11:41 AM, KenK wrote:
Currently water feed to swamp cooler. At garden hose connection to the
reducer that feeds the small connector and line the cooler uses. Then
another at the cooler itself. I 'fixed' both of these a week ago with
some teflon tape on the threads but evidently that wasn't enough as the
leaks returned after a few days.

Garden hose is prolly not the best choice for plumbing in a swamp cooler. Pex maybe?