Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minor bumper repair

Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper. Damage
limited to the extreme edge and about 4mm deep feathering to nothing
over about 1cm. The surface skin or glass fibre and whatever resin has
breached. It is entirely of plastic resin construction.

The edge profile is something like

\
/

Unfortunately the damage is also highly visible plastic core is a very
different colour to the paint

What does the team recommend as a flexible tough filler for such a small
patch but in a highly exposed position and what should I do to ensure
the best physical key of the repair to the substrate.

It is almost small enough that I am tempted to just use epoxy glue as
filler but I am sure there must be something better and able to cope
with being on a flexible plastic bumper. I had a look online and could
find any dent/damage fillers that got decent reviews.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
What does the team recommend as a flexible tough filler for such a small
patch but in a highly exposed position and what should I do to ensure
the best physical key of the repair to the substrate.

ISTR seeing repair kits for this sort of plastic. Like most things,
probably for sale on Ebay.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown put finger to keyboard:

Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper. Damage
limited to the extreme edge and about 4mm deep feathering to nothing
over about 1cm. The surface skin or glass fibre and whatever resin has
breached. It is entirely of plastic resin construction.

The edge profile is something like

\
/

Unfortunately the damage is also highly visible plastic core is a very
different colour to the paint

Would an alternative be to paint the plastic core and leave the nick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2014 13:52, Scion wrote:
Martin Brown put finger to keyboard:

Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper. Damage
limited to the extreme edge and about 4mm deep feathering to nothing
over about 1cm. The surface skin or glass fibre and whatever resin has
breached. It is entirely of plastic resin construction.

The edge profile is something like

\
/

Unfortunately the damage is also highly visible plastic core is a very
different colour to the paint

Would an alternative be to paint the plastic core and leave the nick?

Not really it is deep enough that the outline of the rear bumper is
visibly affected and if just painted it would catch the light. It needs
filling with a filler that will adhere strongly to the base and not fall
off or peel when feathered into the existing structure. Because of the
"elegant" smooth curves and position it shows up rather badly.

Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 May 2014 08:56:55 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Look for a used one on someplace like Breakeryard.co.uk? I got a
complete headlight assembly using them. £25 instead of several hundred
for a new one.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Martin Brown |||newspa
escribió:

Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

You could just live with it.

We in the UK seem rather precious about our cars. Look at cars in other
European countries, they've almost all got a scrape or a dent somewhere.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

There was a time when bumpers were to protect expensive bodywork. Not be a
part of it. Even a minor scrape on a metallic body coloured one can cost
hundreds to fix perfectly.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

There was a time when bumpers were to protect expensive bodywork. Not be a
part of it. Even a minor scrape on a metallic body coloured one can cost
hundreds to fix perfectly.

I'd settle for a repair that is hard to spot. I have over the years done
a few but I can see that the position of this and the flexibility of the
plastic shell means the choice of resin and filler has to be exactly
right if it is to work. I wasn't impressed with reviews of two part
repair media I found online in a quick check last night.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Bumper sticker should cover it up:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jcv6mh0uok

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 May 2014 19:02:18 +0100
"ARW" wrote:

[...]

"How's my Parking? Call 0800-xxxxxxx".

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:

[...]

Don't you mean 0871-xxxxxx

;-)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper.

Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

What about asking the "chips away" type companies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:

[...]

Yes, you're right. I was quoting the American ones, which a
1-800-xxx-yyyy. They are usually about Driving.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/14 00:22, "Martin Brown" wrote:
It is almost small enough that I am tempted to just use epoxy glue
as filler but I am sure there must be something better and able to
cope with being on a flexible plastic bumper. I had a look online
and could find any dent/damage fillers that got decent reviews.

Really the best material is more of the same.

Eposxy doiesn stick to most plastics.

is it 'plasticky' or 'rubbery'?
If its plasticky then a solvent and plastic filler works best.

Ty some of yer wife's nail varnish remover on the damaged bit. If it
looks like the solvent is actually messing with the plastic you are in
luck.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165625

is worth a try. the styrene in the polyester may be able to 'grab' to
the plastic, but don't be surprised if it all falls out.

Then you will have to do the prime/body puttty/undercoat/spray /rub down
on the WHOLE bumper to get an even colours

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:34:23 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Davey
wrote:

snip

Bumper sticker should cover it up:-)

"How's my Parking? Call 0800-xxxxxxx".

Don't you mean 0871-xxxxxx

Yes, you're right. I was quoting the American ones, which a
1-800-xxx-yyyy. They are usually about Driving.

"How's my Driving? Call 1-800-EAT-****"

was one I saw while living there. On the back of a pickup, inevitably,
which is what American chavs drive.

The one time I did call the 1-800 number was when a van was driving
recklessly along a busy road, and then we all got stuck in a traffic
jam. The offender was in my view, and I was able to read the number,
call it, and report him as a bad driver. Whether it did any good, I
don't know, but it made me feel better.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:34:23 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Davey
wrote:

snip

Bumper sticker should cover it up:-)

"How's my Parking? Call 0800-xxxxxxx".

Don't you mean 0871-xxxxxx

Yes, you're right. I was quoting the American ones, which a
1-800-xxx-yyyy. They are usually about Driving.

"How's my Driving? Call 1-800-EAT-****"

was one I saw while living there. On the back of a pickup, inevitably,
which is what American chavs drive.

The one time I did call the 1-800 number was when a van was driving
recklessly along a busy road, and then we all got stuck in a traffic
jam. The offender was in my view, and I was able to read the number,
call it, and report him as a bad driver. Whether it did any good, I
don't know, but it made me feel better.

Now you see why I don't have a van with my phone number on it:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper. Damage
limited to the extreme edge and about 4mm deep feathering to nothing
over about 1cm. The surface skin or glass fibre and whatever resin has
breached. It is entirely of plastic resin construction.

So the scratch is only 1cm long? Or am I misunderstanding?

If so, I'd use http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=5695

fill a bit low. Once dried a few coats of paint from
http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=6912 (obviously
find the correct colour for your car :-))

If done with patience (will take a fair few coats) and with care (don't
sand too many times, you'll burn through the laquer) then it'll be near
impossible to spot once polished up.

No connection with paints4u.com apart from being a happy customer (and
knowing others!). I'm sure there are other companies selling similar.

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/14 00:22, "Martin Brown" wrote:
It is almost small enough that I am tempted to just use epoxy glue
as filler but I am sure there must be something better and able to
cope with being on a flexible plastic bumper. I had a look online
and could find any dent/damage fillers that got decent reviews.

Really the best material is more of the same.

Eposxy doiesn stick to most plastics.

is it 'plasticky' or 'rubbery'?
If its plasticky then a solvent and plastic filler works best.

Ty some of yer wife's nail varnish remover on the damaged bit. If it
looks like the solvent is actually messing with the plastic you are in
luck.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165625

Thanks. This looks to have done the job OK and was easy to work with.
Time will tell if it peels off after a few weeks in strong sunshine.

Internet reviews seem to grumble that there isn't enough catalyst but in
warm weather only a tiny amount was needed to get the stuff to go off.
My first batch went off a bit quick after following their instructions
to the letter. Mixing a small amount of resin into the hardener first
and then that into the bulk helps get an even cure.

Peroxide initiators are very temperature sensitive. In mid winter you
might well struggle to get it to go off at all.

is worth a try. the styrene in the polyester may be able to 'grab' to
the plastic, but don't be surprised if it all falls out.

I won't be. But time will tell. Looks OK now. BTW Those cheap diamond
files are excellent for making the base layer rough enough to get a good
key and roughing off the high spots after filling.

Then you will have to do the prime/body puttty/undercoat/spray /rub down
on the WHOLE bumper to get an even colours

Nah. There are other minor distortions where the bumper supports were
that are beyond realistic repair. The profile is now matched and the
colour is close enough that you have to know where to look to find it.

I used cardboard masks to control the feathering of the spray. First
colour coat was done with a fine brush as it was blowing a gale.
Surprising how once it is all the right colour minor contour errors
become newly visible. Time will tell if the styrene sticks to it.

600 grade carborundum paper followed by 1000 feathered it out nicely.

BTW any ideas what the main rear lamp cluster on a BMW is made of?

It certainly isn't acrylic since chloroform didn't touch it at all.
Styrene based glue seemed to work OK (as did acrylic glue but it didn't
make an invisible mend).

The lower bumper reflector was red arcylic and chloroform based Perpex
glue did an invisible mend on it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2014 19:52, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper. Damage
limited to the extreme edge and about 4mm deep feathering to nothing
over about 1cm. The surface skin or glass fibre and whatever resin has
breached. It is entirely of plastic resin construction.

So the scratch is only 1cm long? Or am I misunderstanding?

The scratch damage is about 1cm wide and runs vertically up and down the
bumper doing more damage on the bits that are stuck out furthest. The
deepest parts were about 4mm below the correct profile.

If so, I'd use http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=5695

fill a bit low. Once dried a few coats of paint from
http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=6912 (obviously
find the correct colour for your car :-))

If done with patience (will take a fair few coats) and with care (don't
sand too many times, you'll burn through the laquer) then it'll be near
impossible to spot once polished up.

No connection with paints4u.com apart from being a happy customer (and
knowing others!). I'm sure there are other companies selling similar.

I used the peroxide catalysed styrene Isopon mentioned by TNP. It seems
fine. Only time will tell if it has really stuck to the bumper properly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2014 14:10, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

What make and model of car?

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 May 2014 22:48:24 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper.

Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

What about asking the "chips away" type companies?

+1 They do a brilliant job and less expensive than you would think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2014 17:47:15 +0100, Old Git wrote:

What about asking the "chips away" type companies?

+1 They do a brilliant job and less expensive than you would think.

Some do, some don't. They're your typical franchise outfit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Martin Brown wrote:

Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left
a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper.

Main dealer says not repairable and wants £1k to replace entire bumper
assembly which I think is extortionate for a minor cosmetic dint.

What about asking the "chips away" type companies?

I would just wait until she hit something else and then buy a new bumper.
It's only a matter of time.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/14 18:43, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 May 2014 17:47:15 +0100, Old Git wrote:

What about asking the "chips away" type companies?

+1 They do a brilliant job and less expensive than you would think.

Some do, some don't. They're your typical franchise outfit.

cost of capital + minimum wage...