Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A minor repair success...

Wife hands me the DVD player from the bedroom, "It
won't turn on anymore."

Aw crap, well, ok, I'll look at it.

Take it out the the shop, pop the lid, oh look, a
bulging cap in the switching power supply. Replace
that and presto, it works again.

Sometimes we get lucky.

And I'll get dinner tonight. ;-)

Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:25:53 -0600, Jeffrey Angus wrote:

Wife hands me the DVD player from the bedroom, "It won't turn on
anymore."

Aw crap, well, ok, I'll look at it.

Take it out the the shop, pop the lid, oh look, a bulging cap in the
switching power supply. Replace that and presto, it works again.

Sometimes we get lucky.

And I'll get dinner tonight. ;-)

Jeff

So if you didn't fix the DVD player no dinner?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/15/2011 6:51 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:25:53 -0600, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
Sometimes we get lucky.

And I'll get dinner tonight. ;-)

Jeff

So if you didn't fix the DVD player no dinner?

Well that depends....

If I had said, "Nope, the DVD is broke, it died. We need
to buy a new one for $19.95"

I would probably still have gotten dinner.

If I had said, "You've got to be kidding me? Why should
I waste my time on that cheap piece of ****?"

I would have been eating an MRE out in the garage.

Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/15/2011 8:45 PM, D Yuniskis wrote:
You might want to actually *check* the voltage across that cap
instead of blindly replacing it with one that has the same
markings. I see lots of undervoltage caps in cheapy consumer
kit (especially DVD players).

Oh that was easy, it was a 16V cap. I replaced it with a 25V
just on general principles.

And I'll get dinner tonight. ;-)

Yeah, but will it be *edible*?? :

It was quite good actually.

Jeff

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:25:53 -0600, Jeffrey Angus
wrote:

And I'll get dinner tonight. ;-)

Electrolytic capacitors for dinner is a rather sparce and toxic diet.
You had it easy. I just tore apart (formerly known as disassembled)
an iPhone first degeneration. As it was designed to do, the battery
leaked slimy goo and corrosive slime all over the antenna section and
parts of my workbench. If I get it working and sold, I can afford
several lavish dinners for two. Eat your heart out (literally).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeffrey Angus wrote:

On 1/15/2011 6:51 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:25:53 -0600, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
Sometimes we get lucky.

And I'll get dinner tonight. ;-)

Jeff

So if you didn't fix the DVD player no dinner?

Well that depends....

If I had said, "Nope, the DVD is broke, it died. We need
to buy a new one for $19.95"

I would probably still have gotten dinner.

If I had said, "You've got to be kidding me? Why should
I waste my time on that cheap piece of ****?"

I would have been eating an MRE out in the garage.

Or some Spam at the General Store...

Teflon coated.