Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Need keyboard & mouse for old Apple G3 computer

While going to rummage sales, I ran across a Macintosh G3 tower. The
seller said it works, and told me to just take it for free. I have
always wanted to play around with an Apple computer, so I took it. I
plugged in the monitor from my PC, turned it on, and it boots up to the
GUI desktop.

The problem is that there is no mouse or keyboard. I quickly found that
the small round connector, which is called DIN on a PC, is similar on
the Apple, but is called a ADB connector. The weird part, is that
there's only one of them, so I'm not sure how you can connect both a
keyboard and mouse to it. These have less pins than a PC connector, so I
cant just use any keyboard or mouse.

I googled some of this, and found that they often used a USB keyboard
and mouse. The tower only has 2 USB ports, so a keyboard & mouse would
use up both (that sucks).

I dont have any USB keyboards or mice, so I will have to buy something.
But I'm not going to spend a lot, since this computer is old (1999). But
I'd still like to play around with it.

It seems that the original ABD keyboards sell for big money, so I wont
even consider buying one of them. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing
that I could use ANY mouse with a USB plug (is that true?)
But can I use a USB keyboard which is made for a PC? (Knowing that the
specific "windows" keys will be worthless).

Hopefully someone on here uses Apple computers and can tell me what I
can use, and buy for little money.

By the way, it has OS9 for the operating system, so it was apparently
upgraded since they sold with OS8.x (according to what I read on the
web).

Mouse Button Replaced by Keyboard Stroke? Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 17 October 20th 09 04:42 PM
Real Wood Keyboard and Optical Mouse Set (USB) Matt Woodworking 3 November 9th 07 02:58 AM
OT - Computer Mouse J T Woodworking 4 August 10th 07 06:02 PM
rebuilding a computer keyboard Reid Priedhorsky Electronics Repair 14 June 10th 07 11:40 PM
OT (way) - looking for large computer mouse Igor Woodworking 9 July 25th 06 02:41 AM