Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] oldcomputer@nomail.none is offline

Default (OT) Need keyboard & mouse for old Apple G3 computer

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 13:16:33 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

In MacOS, the window with the current focus presents its menu across the
top of the screen. So, if you move the focus to different windows
(regardless of where they are located on the screen), the top "line"
of the display keeps changing to reflect the menu bar that *would* have
been present in that window (*if* it had been a PC).

The graphics tend to be a lot cruder -- more like the DOS GEM interface.

And, the machine will feel sluggish (typically Macs were purchased
"underpowered" to save $$).

I remember GEM. I played with that in the early 90s. At the time it was
quite interesting....

I'm surprised that the graphics are crude, when over the years I have
heard time and time again, that the Mac computer was always preferred
for people who do graphical work professionally. And this goes back many
years. (Which would include the time period the G3 was in use). I
recall seeing some business that went to events and would print
photographs onto T-shirts, and they used a Mac. What they produced was
very high quality! This was in the late 90's.

I can understand it being sluggush with so little RAM. I read the G3 can
get up to 1gb of Ram.

Mine has a "Rage" video card, which I guess was (or is) common! I
noticed that as soon as I opened it. Which, by the way, is a great
setup. It opens so easily without needing any tools.

Either way, this is just another adventure with computers. I have tried,
rebuilt, or build darn near every older computer. I probably have about
30 old computers in my collection, going all the way back to the
original XT and on up to the Pentium 4. All are PCs, none are really
new, and I dont care to use any operating system newer than XP.
So, this Mac is my first Apple computer to play with, and may be the
beginning of something new, since I dont really care to continue with
Microsoft's newer bloatware crap, and while I've played with Linux, it's
not for me.