Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Would refrigeration shrink my rechargeable batteries?

I recently bought a fairly expensive Internet radio that takes four D batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable. There are two battery compartments, one holding one battery and the other three batteries. The radio is capable of recharging rechargeable batteries by itself.

My problem is that the rechargeable batteries that I have (EBL brand) are slightly too long for three of them to fit in the space provided. Alkalines fit fine, but they are slightly shorter than the rechargeables.

My question is, if I put the rechargeables in the refrigerator or freezer, would they shrink a tiny bit and therefore fit in my radio? And would this harm the batteries in any way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2016 10:58 PM, Terry S. wrote:
I recently bought a fairly expensive Internet radio that takes four D batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable. There are two battery compartments, one holding one battery and the other three batteries. The radio is capable of recharging rechargeable batteries by itself.

My problem is that the rechargeable batteries that I have (EBL brand) are slightly too long for three of them to fit in the space provided. Alkalines fit fine, but they are slightly shorter than the rechargeables.

My question is, if I put the rechargeables in the refrigerator or freezer, would they shrink a tiny bit and therefore fit in my radio? And would this harm the batteries in any way?

maybe, if your freezer has an Absolute Zero Kelvin setting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 19:58:19 -0700 (PDT), Terry S. wrote:

How much shorter do they need to be? Can you not sand off a bit of each
end?

Be sure though, that the rechargeable circuit is not made for NiCd if you
put in NiH batteries. (Explosion may result.)

Newer charging circuits (NiH) are 'supposed to' recognize NiCd, and either
refuse, or charge them according the proper rate / duration / charging rate
change per amps already pushed in this session / whatever. I'm not sure,
but perhaps the slight length difference is a safety feature built into
battery specs to prevent this. You really do not want to explode your
batteries. Even if you avoid the shrapnel, the contents are caustic and
poisonous.

*Never* mix battery types in a charger (or attempt to charge alkaline or
zinc-carbon). This can confuse the charge sensing cicuits, and result in
(surprise) a battery explosion.

Also, if you do manage to fit them by cooling, don't you think that they
will expand again afterwards and probably break the battery holder?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Never thought about sanding the ends of the batteries....does anybody think there could be a downside to doing that?

The radio was made to use Ni-Mh batteries and that's what I have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 11:03:09 PM UTC-5, Terry S. wrote:
Never thought about sanding the ends of the batteries....does anybody think there could be a downside to doing that?

The radio was made to use Ni-Mh batteries and that's what I have.

You can always get adapters that will convert AA batteries to D size. The adapters will probably be the standard length. I'd be able to disassemble the radio and cut off part of the spring in the base of the battery compartment in order to make the slightly longer batteries fit. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Size-Battery-A.../dp/B0092XYLP6

[8~{} Uncle Adaptable Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 21:03:04 -0700 (PDT), "Terry S."
wrote:

Never thought about sanding the ends of the batteries....does anybody think there could be a downside to doing that?

The radio was made to use Ni-Mh batteries and that's what I have.

I don't know if rechargeables might be different, but regular
batteries seem a lot longer than they need be, with that long button.
There's nothing in there but more metal, right?

I have a VOM that uses a 9v battery, and it will only take alkaline.
Carbon zinc are longer than alkaline and don't fit. Who knew?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2016 10:58 PM, Terry S. wrote:
I recently bought a fairly expensive Internet radio that takes four D batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable. There are two battery compartments, one holding one battery and the other three batteries. The radio is capable of recharging rechargeable batteries by itself.

My problem is that the rechargeable batteries that I have (EBL brand) are slightly too long for three of them to fit in the space provided. Alkalines fit fine, but they are slightly shorter than the rechargeables.

My question is, if I put the rechargeables in the refrigerator or freezer, would they shrink a tiny bit and therefore fit in my radio? And would this harm the batteries in any way?

Should work fine. Just be sure to leave the radio in
the refrigerator all the time. Otherwise the batteries
will expand and become lodged in the radio.

Might need a small electric heater. When the radio
chills, it will contract about the same as the
batteries, and you will lose the advantage. Need to
keep the radio warmed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2016 12:03 AM, Terry S. wrote:
Never thought about sanding the ends of the batteries....does anybody think there could be a downside to doing that?

The radio was made to use Ni-Mh batteries and that's what I have.

Probably not much metal, till you get to
whatever is in there. Chemical soaked fiber,
or some thing.

I missed your issue, are the batteries too
long, or too wide?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2016 10:58 PM, Terry S. wrote:
I recently bought a fairly expensive Internet radio that takes four D batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable. There are two battery compartments, one holding one battery and the other three batteries. The radio is capable of recharging rechargeable batteries by itself.

My problem is that the rechargeable batteries that I have (EBL brand) are slightly too long for three of them to fit in the space provided. Alkalines fit fine, but they are slightly shorter than the rechargeables.

My question is, if I put the rechargeables in the refrigerator or freezer, would they shrink a tiny bit and therefore fit in my radio? And would this harm the batteries in any way?

Reading again. Slightly too long. When I was a kid,
I did tear some batteries apart. Some cells, the
negative end has a kind of decorative plate, which
is held on by the plastic wrap. Don't know if it
applies to your cells, but the negative end may
have a part that can come off.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 11:03:09 PM UTC-5, Terry S. wrote:
Never thought about sanding the ends of the batteries....does anybody think there could be a downside to doing that?

The radio was made to use Ni-Mh batteries and that's what I have.

The ends would corrode, and you'd lose contact. You could try squeezing each one slightly in a vise. The positive end should compress some...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 21:03:04 -0700 (PDT), Terry S. wrote:

Never thought about sanding the ends of the batteries...
does anybody think there could be a downside to doing that?

You might sacrifice one first to see how thick the end plates are. IIUC,
you actually have 6 surfaces that you can plane down a bit. Also, a vice
might shorten them without breaking the anode or causing an internal short.
You might try a combination of both techniques.

(I know not if they do have a central solid cylinder similar to the carbon
rod in a carbon-zinc battery.)

The radio was made to use Ni-Mh batteries and that's what I have.

Excellent. Be very sure of this. That disclaimer about exploding batteries
is not just something the lawyers added to protect them in the one per ten
thousand range. If you put in the wrong type (especially a lithium) you are
courting disaster.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

rechargeable batteries cj Home Repair 18 March 20th 13 07:08 AM
Rechargeable batteries Jo Stein UK diy 29 January 18th 13 04:33 PM
Rechargeable Batteries TMC[_2_] UK diy 29 January 28th 12 09:38 AM
Bad rechargeable batteries? Timothy Murphy UK diy 8 January 24th 10 06:14 PM
rechargeable batteries? N8N Home Repair 22 June 19th 08 12:25 PM