Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Would refrigeration shrink my rechargeable batteries?

On 6/2/2016 10:58 PM, Terry S. wrote:
I recently bought a fairly expensive Internet radio that takes four D batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable. There are two battery compartments, one holding one battery and the other three batteries. The radio is capable of recharging rechargeable batteries by itself.

My problem is that the rechargeable batteries that I have (EBL brand) are slightly too long for three of them to fit in the space provided. Alkalines fit fine, but they are slightly shorter than the rechargeables.

My question is, if I put the rechargeables in the refrigerator or freezer, would they shrink a tiny bit and therefore fit in my radio? And would this harm the batteries in any way?

Should work fine. Just be sure to leave the radio in
the refrigerator all the time. Otherwise the batteries
will expand and become lodged in the radio.

Might need a small electric heater. When the radio
chills, it will contract about the same as the
batteries, and you will lose the advantage. Need to
keep the radio warmed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young