Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT When is evening to you?

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

I wonder if the part of the country where you were raised would matter? Or
where you currently live?

I didn't Google this because it would probably affect my opinion.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2016 10:29 AM, KenK wrote:
Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

I wonder if the part of the country where you were raised would matter? Or
where you currently live?

I didn't Google this because it would probably affect my opinion.

The more interesting thing is how you rationalize your answer:

"When it (starts to) gets dark"
"When it starts cooling off"
"When the evening news airs"

I.e., how would your rationalization be affected by moving to the extreme
latitudes, a cooler climate, evening news at 4PM, etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 May 2016 17:29:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

My ole body tells me. I haven't worn a watch or studied time in more
than a decade.

In the South. meals are often stated as; breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Some regions call dinner, supper
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2016 01:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On 30 May 2016 17:29:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

My ole body tells me. I haven't worn a watch or studied time in more
than a decade.

In the South. meals are often stated as; breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Some regions call dinner, supper

I've always used breakfast, lunch, supper. "Dinner" feels like something
special, not a regular meal. Of course, when I'm alone I can eat without
having a WORD for it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:28:16 -0500, Oren wrote:

On 30 May 2016 17:29:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6
PM?
7 PM?

My ole body tells me. I haven't worn a watch or studied time in more
than a decade.

In the South. meals are often stated as; breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Some regions call dinner, supper

My parents called it breakfast, dinner (at noon), lunch
about 4 or so, supper at sundown or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 15:37:20 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 05/30/2016 01:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On 30 May 2016 17:29:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

My ole body tells me. I haven't worn a watch or studied time in more
than a decade.

In the South. meals are often stated as; breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Some regions call dinner, supper

I've always used breakfast, lunch, supper. "Dinner" feels like something
special, not a regular meal. Of course, when I'm alone I can eat without
having a WORD for it.

"Vittles" is a good word.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2016 1:29 PM, KenK wrote:
Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

I wonder if the part of the country where you were raised would matter? Or
where you currently live?

I didn't Google this because it would probably affect my opinion.

TIA

I always thought it was 6 PM.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/30/2016 12:29 PM, KenK wrote:
Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

I wonder if the part of the country where you were raised would matter? Or
where you currently live?

Probably, but to me it's from roughly sundown'ish or a tad earlier to a
little past dark-thirty; it isn't a time but a season (so to speak).

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/30/2016 1:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On 30 May 2016 17:29:16 GMT, wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

My ole body tells me. I haven't worn a watch or studied time in more
than a decade.

In the South. meals are often stated as; breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Some regions call dinner, supper

"Lunch" is something city-folk have; in this part of farm country anyway
it's breakfast, dinner, supper. The difference is that "lunch" would be
considered a much lighter, less substantial meal like just a sammich and
such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 12:29:16 -0500, KenK wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6
PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

I wonder if the part of the country where you were raised would matter?
Or
where you currently live?

I didn't Google this because it would probably affect my opinion.

TIA

It was after chores were done on my parent's farm. They
did all the things people might picture as being farmer things.
Milking the cow, feeding the other cattle, sloppin' the
hogs, and feeding the chickens.
Running milk through the cream separator and picking eggs
were other routines.
The things I described were routine farmer things in the old
neighborhood. Those routines are gone for the most part.
The only animal on a lot of farms is the dog.
The cattle feeders do raise corn but it's for their own
use. Most of it goes into silage. They spread the manure on
the fields. The runoff from the lots goes into catch pits.
That stuff is pumped throughirrigation systems to get rid of
it and get the fertilizer value out of it.
Evening for me is just whenever I get off work. That
varies by season since I work outside for a farm related
business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2016 02:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I've always used breakfast, lunch, supper. "Dinner" feels like something
special, not a regular meal. Of course, when I'm alone I can eat without
having a WORD for it.

Yeah, dinner was something that happened on Sunday at 12 o'clock sharp
unless my mother's minister had a bug up his butt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2016 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
"Vittles" is a good word.

I'm not sure that's even a word. It's the ******* offspring of the
Norman French victual that they inherited from the Romans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2016 09:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/30/2016 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
"Vittles" is a good word.

I'm not sure that's even a word. It's the ******* offspring of the
Norman French victual that they inherited from the Romans.

At least it doesn't mean SOMETHING ELSE, or does it?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 11:33:59 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/30/2016 09:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/30/2016 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
"Vittles" is a good word.

I'm not sure that's even a word. It's the ******* offspring of the
Norman French victual that they inherited from the Romans.

At least it doesn't mean SOMETHING ELSE, or does it?

Yes, yes it does...

http://www.qrayon.com/home/vittle/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2016 09:33 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/30/2016 09:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/30/2016 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
"Vittles" is a good word.

I'm not sure that's even a word. It's the ******* offspring of the
Norman French victual that they inherited from the Romans.

At least it doesn't mean SOMETHING ELSE, or does it?

I'm one of those northerners. Vittles for me brings to mind a roast
possum with a persimmon in its mouth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 22:52:56 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
I'm one of those northerners. Vittles for me brings to
mind a roast possum with a persimmon in its mouth.

Vittles reminds me of Granny and Jed Clampet from the Beverly
Hillbillies.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2016 10:29 AM, KenK wrote:
Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

It's not "about" 6pm, it is 6pm. That marks evening's entrance.
Any questions, goober?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 05/30/2016 09:33 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/30/2016 09:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/30/2016 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
"Vittles" is a good word.

I'm not sure that's even a word. It's the ******* offspring of the
Norman French victual that they inherited from the Romans.

At least it doesn't mean SOMETHING ELSE, or does it?

I'm one of those northerners. Vittles for me brings to mind a roast
possum with a persimmon in its mouth.

Those are called road-kill groceries.

Wrap potatoes in foil, place in the 'possum cavity. Bake for one hour.

Remove potatoes and throw the 'possum in the yard for the dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/31/2016 12:12 AM, Muggles wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 22:52:56 -0600, rbowman wrote:
I'm one of those northerners. Vittles for me brings to
mind a roast possum with a persimmon in its mouth.

Vittles reminds me of Granny and Jed Clampet from the Beverly Hillbillies.

"It's important that they were paying a new kind of dollars. I've heard
of silver dollars, and gold dollars, but never before MILLION dollars."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/31/2016 12:08 PM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 5/30/2016 10:29 AM, KenK wrote:
Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM?
6 PM?
7 PM?

To me it's about 6 PM.

It's not "about" 6pm, it is 6pm. That marks evening's entrance.
Any questions, goober?

And 6AM begins the morning. At 9AM the morning is half gone.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The activities engaged in by the Christian Coalition...were a vital
part of why we had a revolution at the polls on November 8, 1994." [Newt
Gingrich]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 May 2016 17:29:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just out of curiosity. When does evening start to you? Sundown? 5 PM? 6 PM?
7 PM?

If I'm home, 5PM
If I'm commuting from work, when I get home if it's after 5, or 6PM
even if I'm not home yet.

When I'm still out but I haven't been at work, 6PM.

It has to do with the rush of the day being over and being able to
relax.

To me it's about 6 PM.

I wonder if the part of the country where you were raised would matter? Or
where you currently live?

I didn't Google this because it would probably affect my opinion.

TIA

Chilly evening ... Terry Coombs[_2_] Metalworking 42 January 12th 15 09:45 AM
OT Evening September harry UK diy 18 March 6th 14 05:04 AM
Wednesday evening ARW UK diy 19 October 30th 12 11:40 PM
What a cool evening! mac davis Woodturning 2 December 23rd 04 05:21 AM