Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn sprinkler question

I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if
I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 12:55:32 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if
I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Try spraying them with some silicone lube, while they are full up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 12:55:27 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if
I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

I'd pull the spray tip off first, and inspect the plastic cone type
filter. Remove those three, the cone and run the zone to flush out
any debris, grit or pebbles.

Later, consider replacing the three pop-ups, the springs have worn
out. Salvage some parts for future adventures G.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2016 9:55 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve are
working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if I manually
pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure issues. Does
it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is there some other
diagnostic trick I should try first?

Swap them. See if the problem moves with the heads or follows the location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 10:19:05 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Try spraying them with some silicone lube, while they are full up.

+1 Reduce the friction. Yet, sprinkler pop-ups wear out (often the
spring).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if
I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Replace one and if that fixes it, replace the other two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if
I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Save the old ones in case I'm wrong. Maybe they can be cleaned,
although I guess if so, you should do that before buying new ones. Not
that I've ever cleaned one, but dirt is the biggest problem for almost
anything mechanical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd pull the spray tip off first, and inspect the plastic cone type
filter. Remove those three, the cone and run the zone to flush out
any debris, grit or pebbles.

I have already done that. Sorry forgot t tell you.

Later, consider replacing the three pop-ups, the springs have worn
out. Salvage some parts for future adventures G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and
if I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Take them apart and clean them out. Buy new if they still don't pop up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/16 3:33 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and
if I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Take them apart and clean them out. Buy new if they still don't pop up.

For $5-6 bucks each it seems just as easy to and probably quicker to
just get new. Wouldn't I have to dig them out and take them off the line
to take them apart and clean them? (Serious question, BTW)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 5/30/16 3:33 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the
valve are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part
way up and if I manually pull them up, they often stay up even
after the water is turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Take them apart and clean them out. Buy new if they still don't pop
up.

For $5-6 bucks each it seems just as easy to and probably quicker to
just get new. Wouldn't I have to dig them out and take them off the
line to take them apart and clean them? (Serious question, BTW)

On mine, the head unscrews...pull it up, unscrew head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2016 9:55 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve
are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if
I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is
turned off.
The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure
issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is
there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

When mine start sticking, I pull out the grass blocking their movement.
Then turn on the water, and repeatedly push the head down and let it pop
back up. Water squirts out along the sides in the process, and tends to
wash out grit that is making them stick.

Lawn Sprinkler Meanie Home Repair 23 July 9th 12 11:21 PM
Lawn Sprinkler System? HerHusband Home Repair 19 September 5th 11 12:08 AM
Lawn sprinkler system? ? ? Ray Home Repair 10 July 8th 11 05:28 PM
Lawn Sprinkler Winterization QuickSand Home Repair 1 August 31st 05 11:30 AM
disabling one lawn sprinkler?? BobMcC814 Home Repair 6 April 9th 04 04:59 PM