Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Update update

On 5/15/2016 7:59 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/15/2016 07:17 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

If something works better and easier on Windows, I don't hesitate to do
so...nor do I proselytize for others to use Linux.

I don't understand those who seem to think you have to do everything on ONE OS.
I like Linux, but have nothing against Windows when something works better on it.

Exactly.

But, the problem isn't just zealotry on the user side.

Folks developing (marketing) OS's also seem to think
their "solution" can apply to all problems/applications.

If it can, it does so poorly. If it does so "well",
it is bloated.

Windows as an application layer (NOT an OS in 3.0),
Windows as a desktop OS, Windows as an OS for PDA's
(WinCE), Windows as an OS for phones, Windows as
an embedded OS, etc.
"Well, what is it, guys?"

The RTOS I've developed for my current project would
be **** poor in a desktop environment. It doesn't
obsess over speed, has no notion of disks, or users,
or The Internet, etc.

OTOH, it is designed to be reliable, robust, secure and
seamlessly distributed. The application has no idea
that it is executing on a set of ~100 CPUs vs. "just one".
Nor *which* of those it is executing on at the current time.

DIY VFD Update azotic Metalworking 31 July 18th 09 12:54 PM
RCD update Gib Bogle UK diy 0 April 25th 09 02:34 AM
SF % update The Medway Handyman UK diy 2 November 15th 08 09:18 PM
Captain's Bed Update, Web page update Mark & Juanita Woodworking 3 July 3rd 06 04:57 PM
Update Saml Home Repair 4 May 22nd 05 07:03 PM