Saml

Default Update

Update on well problems.

After all the work, we found that the original NEW pump that we had bought
for the well had actually been returned to HD as not working.

They simply put it back on the shelf.

We knew that that there could be a problem, since the box was open but the
sales guy said the pump was OK.

Should not have listened.

We checked the water level by the string with a nut on the end of it and
found we have at least 4-5 feet of water in the well pipe.

Got a new pump and we are now pumping water.

There is still a problem in that there is a pressure tank on the old well
pump that we installed on the new one.

Problem is; pump pumps up to 40 #'s on the pressure gauge, and the motor
shuts off, then when the pressure goes back down, the pump comes back on,
about 20#'s and resumes pumping water.

Maybe we need to get a new pressure tank for the OG (Old Guy)

Thanks again for all the good suggestions, they have been helpful.

Backlash

The well pump water system usually gets it's pressure by pumping water into
the tank, all the while compressing the air cushion in the upper part of the
tank. Water is relatively non-compressible. Pump works against air cushion
and shuts off via the pressure switch. When pressure drops due to water
usage, pump comes back on. 20 on, to 40 lbs off, is not abnormal, but I
prefer it higher for my use. It is adjustable by removing the pressure
switch cover, and making adjustments on cut-out, and cut-in. Instructions
sometimes under the cover. Higher pressure rated switches are also sold.
(ie, 30 to 50) Be conservative if the house piping is old. If no water is
being used and the pump runs occasionally, there may be a leak in the upper
part of the tank or fittings, above the water line, or a leak underground.
Other leaks should be obvious. A pump that runs immediately each time you
open a faucette and shut it off is likely "waterlogged", or has lost it's
air cushion. This can be at least temporarily cured by shutting off the pump
and venting and draining the tank down at least halfway, then restarting the
pump. The air volume control may need replacing if the tank has no bladder,
but instead has an air volume control on it's end side, about halfway up the
tank.

Hope this helps
RJ

"Saml" wrote in message
[...]

BobN

Sam, my new well pump was pre-set to 20-40 lbs also. You can increase the
cut-in point by turning clockwise the large bolt that is surrounded by a
spring, usually right at the front of the pressure switch. On my pump, 1
turn is equal to 2psi. The range betweeen cut-in and cut-out should remain
the same, 20 lbs.

Duane Bozarth

Saml wrote:

[...]

If the pressure is dropping on its own rather than from usage either the
check valve isn't holding or there's another leak somewhere. If it's
cycling at 20 to 40 during normal operation while water is in use, then
all is well (so to speak)
Saml

Thanks again to everyone for the information.
Will try the suggestions next Wed. when we go to check on the pump
reliability.
Many thanks again, to all, for the info.
Best,
Saml
ink.net...