Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where can I buy a small quantity of BRASS Carriage Bolts?

I need 14 BRASS Carriage Bolts, 1/4" diameter, 1.5 in long, with brass
nuts. These are for an outdoor patio bench. Steel will rust, so I want
brass (which is what the bench originally had). The local hardware
stores dont carry brass bolts.

Anyone know anywhere that will sell a small amount of them? I'm sure
they are costly, so I dont want to buy a whole case of them.
I need 14 of each, but will probably buy 20 of them.

If I cant find brass, I'd opt for stainless steel, but they are not
available locally either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I need 14 BRASS Carriage Bolts, 1/4" diameter, 1.5 in long, with brass
nuts. These are for an outdoor patio bench. Steel will rust, so I want
brass (which is what the bench originally had). The local hardware
stores dont carry brass bolts.

Anyone know anywhere that will sell a small amount of them? I'm sure
they are costly, so I dont want to buy a whole case of them.
I need 14 of each, but will probably buy 20 of them.

If I cant find brass, I'd opt for stainless steel, but they are not
available locally either.

I would suggest bronze instead of brass. Stronger, would be about the same
price.

Where would a person find carriage bolts & nuts, or other fasteners,
made of solid bronze ? not bronze coloured finish
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 May 2016 07:34:51 -0400, "dadiOH"

I need 14 BRASS Carriage Bolts, 1/4" diameter, 1.5 in long, with brass
nuts. These are for an outdoor patio bench. Steel will rust, so I want
brass (which is what the bench originally had). The local hardware
stores dont carry brass bolts.

Anyone know anywhere that will sell a small amount of them? I'm sure
they are costly, so I dont want to buy a whole case of them.
I need 14 of each, but will probably buy 20 of them.

If I cant find brass, I'd opt for stainless steel, but they are not
available locally either.

I would suggest bronze instead of brass. Stronger, would be about the same
price.

Where are you located? I have a local source for stainless in inch and
metric, as well as brass in metric
Call SpaeNaur Fasteners at 1-800-265-8772

stainless n1/4X1 1/2 is part # 014-804
Unit package is 100 but I've never had a problem buying even in
onzies-twozies.
Brass metric m6x40mm(1.57 inch) is 015-502

They will ship out of Kitchener Ontario.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-09, Pat wrote:

Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and Lowe's all have large fastener
aisles. They have zinc, stainless, and brass. Of course, the
stainless and brass cost more but I am impressed by their large
selection.

There are like aisles in True Value Hardware stores. Also Tractor
Supply Co stores and a Rocky Mtn states chain, Murdoch's Ranch & Home
Supply.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where would a person find carriage bolts & nuts, or other fasteners,
made of solid bronze ? not bronze coloured finish
John T.

Pretty much any place that specializes in fasteners. Here's one. Hex head
is cheaper.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_b...olts.aspx?nv=l

Thanks -
... so "silicon bronze" will normally refer to solid material ?
as opposed to "bronze finish" or somesuch wording
which commonly refers to the colour of the coating.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Where would a person find carriage bolts & nuts, or other
fasteners, made of solid bronze ? not bronze coloured finish
John T.

Pretty much any place that specializes in fasteners. Here's one.
Hex head is cheaper.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_b...olts.aspx?nv=l

Thanks -
.. so "silicon bronze" will normally refer to solid material ?
as opposed to "bronze finish" or somesuch wording
which commonly refers to the colour of the coating.
John T.

Right. "Bronze finish" means (afaik) electroplated. Just like "galvanized"
has come to mean electroplated with zinc which isn't even CLOSE to
galvanizing by dipping in molten zinc.

BTW, there are numerous bronzes - just as there are numerous stainless
steels - but the only ones we are likely to encounter are silicon bronze and
manganese bronze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 May 2016 07:10:54 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 09 May 2016 00:49:45 -0400,
wrote:

I need 14 BRASS Carriage Bolts, 1/4" diameter, 1.5 in long, with brass
nuts. These are for an outdoor patio bench. Steel will rust, so I want
brass (which is what the bench originally had). The local hardware
stores dont carry brass bolts.

Anyone know anywhere that will sell a small amount of them? I'm sure
they are costly, so I dont want to buy a whole case of them.
I need 14 of each, but will probably buy 20 of them.

If I cant find brass, I'd opt for stainless steel, but they are not
available locally either.

Just one example... over $ 2. per bolt ! 64 cents per nut ?
Huh. I hope I'm resading that wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/h4e3nkc

... and why wouldn't Fastenal's web page provide a link to the
1/4 20 brass nut that goes with this ? instead of stainless ..
Duh .

http://tinyurl.com/jca6n7g

John T

I called Fastenal today. The local store did not have the brass carriage
bolts at their store, but could get them from another store in 3 to 4
days. But could not get 1.5 inch, but could get 2 inch. (that would
work). Then they told me the price. $3.87 for EACH bolt. $0.29 for each
nut. Total price for 15 of each, $62.40 PLUS SHIPPING, (or I can pick
them up at the store).

I didn't even ask the shipping price, I just said that's too expensive,
I'm not interested. I hung up the phone.

ACTUALLY, THAT'S FRIKKING ROBBERY !!!

I went to a nearby larger city. True Value hardware had 1.5" x 1/4"
carriage bolts in Stainless Steel for $0.79 each, the nuts were 18 cents
each. I really did not need 15 of them, since several of the old ones
are fine. I bought what I really needed and one spare one. Total cost,
about $8.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 1:50:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I need 14 BRASS Carriage Bolts, 1/4" diameter, 1.5 in long, with brass
nuts. These are for an outdoor patio bench. Steel will rust, so I want
brass (which is what the bench originally had). The local hardware
stores dont carry brass bolts.

Anyone know anywhere that will sell a small amount of them? I'm sure
they are costly, so I dont want to buy a whole case of them.
I need 14 of each, but will probably buy 20 of them.

If I cant find brass, I'd opt for stainless steel, but they are not
available locally either.

You could probably shorten some bronze toilet base bolts for that. The head is sort of like a carriage bolt. Lowes and Home Depot should have stainless steel and galvanized choices, both of which are probably suitable for your project.