Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well , construction acrually ...

Today the neighbor and I stood up a few trusses and put several sheets of
decking on . Went a hell of a lot faster than the first 3 trusses , which I
stood up alone - using a drywall jack , block and tackle and other
mechanical aids . These are 6/12 over 3/12 scissor trusses , the kitchen
ceiling will be over 11' tall in the center . One more good day like today
will see this project dry .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:44:29 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Today the neighbor and I stood up a few trusses and put several sheets of
decking on . Went a hell of a lot faster than the first 3 trusses , which I
stood up alone - using a drywall jack , block and tackle and other
mechanical aids . These are 6/12 over 3/12 scissor trusses , the kitchen
ceiling will be over 11' tall in the center . One more good day like today
will see this project dry .

I remember as a kid, plywood was leaned against the house at trusses.
Dad leaned over the eve an swung the decking up and dropped almost in
the right place and nailed it down when right.

Next piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today the neighbor and I stood up a few trusses and put several
sheets of decking on . Went a hell of a lot faster than the first 3
trusses , which I stood up alone - using a drywall jack , block and
tackle and other mechanical aids . These are 6/12 over 3/12 scissor
trusses , the kitchen ceiling will be over 11' tall in the center .
One more good day like today will see this project dry .

I remember as a kid, plywood was leaned against the house at trusses.
Dad leaned over the eve an swung the decking up and dropped almost in
the right place and nailed it down when right.

Next piece.

Your dad was probably a bit younger than I am ... Plus the fact that the
bottom edge of the roof is a minumum of 11+ feet from the ground . At the
downhill end that's more like 16 feet , 22 feet to the peak . My arms
aren't quite that long ... we used a clamp on the end of the sheet with a
rope attached . Randy (the neighbor) would push the sheet up . I was on top
pulling on the rope .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today the neighbor and I stood up a few trusses and put several sheets of
decking on . Went a hell of a lot faster than the first 3 trusses , which I
stood up alone - using a drywall jack , block and tackle and other
mechanical aids . These are 6/12 over 3/12 scissor trusses , the kitchen
ceiling will be over 11' tall in the center . One more good day like today
will see this project dry .

I remember as a kid, plywood was leaned against the house at trusses.
Dad leaned over the eve an swung the decking up and dropped almost in
the right place and nailed it down when right.

Next piece.

I put 27' trusses up by myself. I started by marking where the plates
landed while they were still bundled. Then I marked the top plates and
nailed a scrap of wood on the outboard side of the marks and put a 2x4
up as a guide for the gable end and toenailed that one in. I stood up
the next one, pushing it against my cleat and nailing a piece of 2x4
near the top from the gable end to maintain space and hold it up.
Line up the marks and toe nail that one in, rinse repeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I nailed a 2x4 along the truss tails to act as a stop for the plywood
and pushed it up from inside. Square it up and start nailing. Once you
get the first course in, you can work from there squaring them up on
the one in place, Drop a 16d nail in there to maintain space and nail
it up

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Gee , I feel like a piker , mine are only 24' trusses . I stood the first
one against the existing construction , used spacers nailed to the top chord
and spacer blocks at the top sill . As soon as I had them anchored I nailed
criss-cross bracing on the center vertical to keep them spaced and plumb . I
built mine , cheaper than buying and my reinforcing plates are a lot bigger
than those pressed plates . These were a design I copied from a web page and
overbuilt for the usual loads we see here . Too strong is never too strong
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 07:10:32 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

They would not let me make my own trusses without engineering but I
could do conventional rafter framing if I wanted to. The cost of the
larger lumber made that unattractive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Does it sometimes make you wonder who is making money on that sort of
thing ? It seems sometimes that the permit system is just another cash cow
.... out here in the woods we don't have to have permits , and of course some
will cut corners . It doesn't cost but a little more to do it right , and
the peace of mind is well worth the few additional bucks . Of course
sometimes the less expensive option is better . I had a choice of regular or
low-e glass for the windows I just ordered . I chose the regular glass
because we WANT that solar heat gain on the south-facing windows . Double
glazed of course so we don't gain heat in the summer , plus those windows
will be shaded under a trellis roof in summer when the muscadines or other
climbing vines are leafed out .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's the good thing about living in a rural area. No nosy neighbors to rat you out to the authorities. When I was a kid, living on the family farm, I could make bombs and blow stuff up. My dad got a shellburst simulator from one of his students who was in the national guard. Dad set it off out in the yard and the sound of the blast echoed all up and down the valley. Neighbors in the area were calling everyone to see what happened. They thought perhaps someone's water heater or propane tank may have exploded. It was fun living out in the country, you could run around nekid if you wanted to. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Nekid Monster

Fence construction Chris UK diy 3 August 10th 09 10:08 PM
Construction costs JohnnyC Home Repair 9 May 10th 08 02:47 PM
New Flat under construction... KP Home Repair 2 February 10th 06 03:37 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 9 January 5th 05 02:52 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 3 December 3rd 04 11:52 PM