Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fence construction

Hi,

I need to put up some fencing, and need a little advice...

1) I intend to use shiplap (feather edge?) boards. Seems like 150mm is the
standard width. How much overlap should I account for when calculating how
much i need? I am thinking about 25mm.. suggestions?

2) I have a wooden posts concreted in, and so i need to fit the horizontal
rails to which i'll attach the boards. I have noticed that fencing put up by
proper contractors use a non-square section.. the top surface slopes,
presumable to stop rain sititng on it. I can only find 2"x2" at B&Q, so i'll
get it from Jewson. What do I ask for? I dont want to make a tit of myself
by describing the section over the phone :-)

3) There is gonna be a lot of nailing to do when putting the boards up. I
have a domestic ue nailgun.. fires 40mm nails rather nicely, though they
dont have a huge head, they are more like mini brads. What the consensus
that this will be fine?

4) Any other tiips welcome :-)

Cheers,
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Hi,

I need to put up some fencing, and need a little advice...

1) I intend to use shiplap (feather edge?) boards. Seems like 150mm
is the standard width. How much overlap should I account for when
calculating how much i need? I am thinking about 25mm.. suggestions?

I over lapped mine by 1/2.

2) I have a wooden posts concreted in, and so i need to fit the
horizontal rails to which i'll attach the boards. I have noticed that
fencing put up by proper contractors use a non-square section.. the
top surface slopes, presumable to stop rain sititng on it. I can only
find 2"x2" at B&Q, so i'll get it from Jewson. What do I ask for? I
dont want to make a tit of myself by describing the section over the
phone :-)

go to a timber yard - they will have lots of different types

3) There is gonna be a lot of nailing to do when putting the boards
up. I have a domestic ue nailgun.. fires 40mm nails rather nicely,
though they dont have a huge head, they are more like mini brads.
What the consensus that this will be fine?

Only two nails per board, one for each rail. Also don't knock them in
fully encase it needs to come down in a few years time. Actully mines
got to come down soon and I might put them back up with screws next
time.

4) Any other tiips welcome :-)

leave about 12" between the top rail and the top of the cant. So anyone
trying to climb over it will break the board off.

Read here
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/const...ence_rails.php

and google it.

--
---
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
Hi,

I need to put up some fencing, and need a little advice...

1) I intend to use shiplap (feather edge?) boards. Seems like 150mm is the
standard width. How much overlap should I account for when calculating how
much i need? I am thinking about 25mm.. suggestions?

That should be enough... 1/2" minimum.

2) I have a wooden posts concreted in, and so i need to fit the horizontal
rails to which i'll attach the boards. I have noticed that fencing put up by
proper contractors use a non-square section.. the top surface slopes,
presumable to stop rain sititng on it. I can only find 2"x2" at B&Q, so i'll
get it from Jewson. What do I ask for? I dont want to make a tit of myself
by describing the section over the phone :-)

"Aris rail" is what you want to ask for.

3) There is gonna be a lot of nailing to do when putting the boards up. I
have a domestic ue nailgun.. fires 40mm nails rather nicely, though they
dont have a huge head, they are more like mini brads. What the consensus
that this will be fine?

You would probably want something a bit heavier for a fence. You might
just get away of you plant several nails together in a group. Really
this is a job for a framing or second fix air or gas nailer - preferably
loaded with ring shanked nails.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/nailer.htm

4) Any other tiips welcome :-)

You can get pre-made galvanised brackets for fixing aris rail to the
post - quite quick and easy!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
Hi,

I need to put up some fencing, and need a little advice...

1) I intend to use shiplap (feather edge?) boards. Seems like 150mm
is the standard width. How much overlap should I account for when
calculating how much i need? I am thinking about 25mm.. suggestions?

Maybe too much, 10 - 15mm will be fine. The bigger the overlap the more
boards you will use & the more nails you have to put in.

2) I have a wooden posts concreted in, and so i need to fit the
horizontal rails to which i'll attach the boards. I have noticed that
fencing put up by proper contractors use a non-square section.. the
top surface slopes, presumable to stop rain sititng on it. I can only
find 2"x2" at B&Q, so i'll get it from Jewson. What do I ask for? I
dont want to make a tit of myself by describing the section over the
phone :-)

You can buy 'cant' rails which are rectangular in cross section, but with a
sloping top - a Trapezoid IIRC. These rails fit onto the face of the post.

Or you can have arris rails which fit between the posts using arris rail
brackets.

3) There is gonna be a lot of nailing to do when putting the boards
up. I have a domestic ue nailgun.. fires 40mm nails rather nicely,
though they dont have a huge head, they are more like mini brads.
What the consensus that this will be fine?

No good at all, 18g brad is far too small.

4) Any other tiips welcome :-)

Make up a jig to keep the overlap the same without having to measure every
time and use a string line to kep the top of each board in line.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

pet fence (underground fence) L. Kotney Electronics Repair 6 July 31st 07 09:22 PM
I'm building a 6' high fence and I'm having trouble with land elevations and gaps under fence???? [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 7th 07 11:55 AM
Fence left or fence right? Vic Baron Woodworking 27 August 26th 05 08:55 AM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 9 January 5th 05 02:52 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 3 December 3rd 04 11:52 PM