Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning

When I was a kid, I was told "Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning".
Back then, it made sense. Metal pipe, metal bathtubs, all WELL GROUNDED.
Including a lightning attracting cast iron vent stack pipe on the roof.

These days we have almost all PVC drain pipes, including the vent on the
roof, PEX or CPVC supply pipes, and most (not all) tubs are made from
some plastic material. Thus, NOTHING is grounded.

I have often wondered if that old advice ("Dont take a Bath when it's
Lightning") is still true?????

Yes, many older homes still have metal pipes, and metal tubs, so that
advice is still true. But for any newer home with all plastics for
plumbing, I tend to discard that advice.

Of course many homeowners are clueless about their plumbing, so the best
advice is still "Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning". But for those
who are absolutely sure their tub and plumbing are made from non-metal,
I'd think there is little risks.

I wonder if there is any actual scientific studies on this issue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:05:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:12:35 -0600, GOWGN
wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:42 PM,
wrote:
Of course many homeowners are clueless about their plumbing, so the best
advice is still "Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning". But for those
who are absolutely sure their tub and plumbing are made from non-metal,
I'd think there is little risks.

I wonder if there is any actual scientific studies on this issue?

Interesting point.

I don't recall ever reading about anyone being killed by lightning in a bathtub.
Lightning likes golfers more than bathers.

I never heard of it happening to a bather, but I have heard of it
happening to people swimming in lakes or pools. I have also heard of it
happening to anyone outdoors as well as cattle and other livestock.

I was always told to never use a wired telephone during lightning. That
is smart advice. I've lost several modems, but years ago, my neighbor
had his phone blown right off the wall, leaving a hole in the plaster.
That same storm killed my phone and all the phone wires in my house were
charred, with segments of insulation with no copper left in it. The
phone company had to completely rewire both houses, and I heard another
guy a half mile away also needed all new wire.

All of this comes down to bad grounding practices and a
misunderstanding of surge protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:05:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:12:35 -0600, GOWGN
wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Wherever I installed extra protection on business phone systems, I never had another one damaged by lightning. After a strike, I'd replace the protector modules and was back in business. The modules are a lot less expensive than a whole KSU. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:33:42 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:05:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:12:35 -0600, GOWGN
wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

How did you know when a strike took out the protector modules? Can I assume
that the phone system went down and a service call was placed?

Cousin Strike-Three-Yer-Out Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2016 2:17 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:43:56 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:33:42 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:05:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:12:35 -0600, GOWGN
wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

The protectors shunt the high voltage to ground often sacrificing themselves when the surge is high enough. Under a lot of conditions the protector can take care of the voltage spike without failing but the protector can wear out which is why the modules are easy to change. Of course when the module blows, the phone line is disconnected. If a lightning strike is severe enough, it will also blow the line module at the phone company central office. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster

Extremely rare. The "line module" is made to take about 600 - 1000
volts. The protectors in the CO hold the voltage to 600 volts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2016 6:05 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:12:35 -0600, GOWGN
wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:42 PM,
wrote:
Of course many homeowners are clueless about their plumbing, so the best
advice is still "Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning". But for those
who are absolutely sure their tub and plumbing are made from non-metal,
I'd think there is little risks.

I wonder if there is any actual scientific studies on this issue?

Interesting point.

I don't recall ever reading about anyone being killed by lightning in a bathtub.
Lightning likes golfers more than bathers.

I never heard of it happening to a bather, but I have heard of it
happening to people swimming in lakes or pools. I have also heard of it
happening to anyone outdoors as well as cattle and other livestock.

My mom was once washing dishes in the kitchen sink during a
thunderstorm and had ball lightning appear out of nowhere, roll down
her right arm and into the dishwater. That was the day she quit
washing dishes during thunderstorms.

I was always told to never use a wired telephone during lightning. That
is smart advice. I've lost several modems, but years ago, my neighbor
had his phone blown right off the wall, leaving a hole in the plaster.
That same storm killed my phone and all the phone wires in my house were
charred, with segments of insulation with no copper left in it. The
phone company had to completely rewire both houses, and I heard another
guy a half mile away also needed all new wire.

My next door neighbor's huge tree was struck by lightning a few years
ago. Not only did it blow that section of the tree apart, sending
flaming sections of branches with the bark blown off into neighboring
yards, it blew the dirt off the tree's roots, set off the car alarms
of both their cars (parked in the garage), shattered windows in the
house, fried the phone and cable, and set some of the wiring on fire
inside his walls.

I was in my kitchen that morning, just about ready to head out and go
to work, when the air in front of me suddenly filled with blue sparks.
Then the lights flickered and - BOOM!

Luckily, I just had to reset my breakers. My neighbor behind me (and
kitty corner from the neighbor whose tree was struck) woke up just
before the strike and saw a cross of silver sparks hanging in the air
over head bed just before the strike. She thought she was losing her
mind, till I told her about my blue sparks. The strike took out her
telephone and cable, too. I lucked out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Moe DeLoughan:
My mom was once washing dishes in the kitchen sink during a
thunderstorm and had ball lightning appear out of nowhere, roll down
her right arm and into the dishwater.

I saw luminous balls moving along a power line once.

Until then I would not have thought it possible.

Can anybody shed some light on the phenom?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:13:07 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 4/26/2016 2:17 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:43:56 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:33:42 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:05:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:12:35 -0600, GOWGN
wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I've had it happen more than once. A customer's protector is blown out and when I made repairs the line was dead. I checked the phone company protector on the wall outside or the demarcation point inside the building and the line was still dead. I had to try to get past the phone company CSR's to talk to someone who understood the equipment. Often a phone company tech would come to the site to verify what I already told them was wrong. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Protected Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Per Moe DeLoughan:
My mom was once washing dishes in the kitchen sink during a
thunderstorm and had ball lightning appear out of nowhere, roll down
her right arm and into the dishwater.

I saw luminous balls moving along a power line once.

Until then I would not have thought it possible.

Can anybody shed some light on the phenom?

It's a transelectricalsexual

--
Tekkie

OT? Lightning Jeff Liebermann Electronics Repair 10 July 13th 14 01:51 AM
OT? Lightning John Robertson Electronics Repair 0 July 8th 14 06:27 PM
WHY DONT U TRY GITU Home Ownership 0 October 13th 07 01:07 AM
Why I dont DIY R D S UK diy 28 March 13th 07 07:38 PM
Dad's And DIY dont mix cuppycake Home Repair 27 October 12th 06 11:30 PM