Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dad's And DIY dont mix

My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Oct 2006 02:15:44 -0700, "cuppycake"
wrote:

My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Use a straitjacket.

By the way, there is no need for the apostrophe in the title.
Posted to alt.home.repair

make one list for your handyman and one easy list for dad.

cuppycake wrote:
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

cuppycake wrote:
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Give him a roll of duct tape and tell him to go into the corner and
play ....

Seriously, give the guy something to do. Why not see if there's a
Habitat for Humanity chapter in your town and sign him up. It'll give
him something to do, they might teach him a thing or two, and you can
go with him and "bond". Then he's tired and has had his fill of
tinkering. It's a win-win.

It there's not Habitat, maybe a Youth Center or Senior Center needs a
handiman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cuppycake wrote:
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Kiwanis is always building stuff.

beats the damn Lions, anyway...

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul wrote:

By the way, there is no need for the apostrophe in the title.

Yes, there is. She just put it in the wrong word.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cuppycake wrote:
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Find the easiest projects you've got and turn him loose on those...
Short of just telling him straight out it's your best bet IMHO.

Good luck... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The apostrophe makes the word posessive. What belongs to your Dad? Are
you talking about your Dad's tools? Your Dad's car?

However, the word "don't" is a contraction of "do not" which does,
however, require an apostrophe. Isn't (contraction of is not) that
interesting?

If the house is owned by you, then you need to use the two letter
N-word.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"cuppycake" wrote in message
ps.com...
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is
bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my
house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Oct 2006 06:23:36 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Paul wrote:

By the way, there is no need for the apostrophe in the title.

Yes, there is. She just put it in the wrong word.

Ha! Good catch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones wrote:
Paul wrote:

By the way, there is no need for the apostrophe in the title.

Yes, there is. She just put it in the wrong word.

Which proves the adage that for every missing apostrophe, an extra one
exists somewhere. - and vice versa. It all averages out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I always say, everybody is good at doing something.

Some people are quite good at playing musical instruments (I couldn't play
one if my life depended on it), some people are good at math, some people
are "mechanical" and are quite good at fixing things.

In my case, I am quite good at fixing things, but my dad is not. However my
dad is quite good at writing. My brother can't use a screwdriver, but he is
good at sports.

Then those who are good at destroying things and those who are
builders/fixers. Everybody is different.

As I grew up, my dad came to rely on me to fix things around the house. He
is quite old now and I visit him once a year at Christmas. He usually has a
small list of things for me to fix when I get there. Simple things like
replacing a pull string on a light fixture or ceiling fan. He just can't do
these things!

"cuppycake" wrote in message
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

cuppycake wrote:
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Buy him an old $500 muscle car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you tried talking to him instead of whining to a group of strangers in
a group that isn't interested in your petty problems?

"cuppycake" wrote in message
ps.com...
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Oct 2006 09:44:06 -0700, "z" wrote:

cuppycake wrote:
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Is he doing that because he thinks he needs to contribute something,
because he's bored out of his mind, or because he thinks you're
a wastrel with no respect for the value of money?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ask him to take up whitteling? With a real sharp knife.

Just kidding.

Be glad you still have a Dad. I wish I did, even though he sometimes used to
get on my nerves doing things I'd rather do myself

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

World Of Warcraft. You won't see him for days, months, years.

Seriously, do you have any photos of projects 'completed'?

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heybub" wrote in message

Which proves the adage that for every missing apostrophe, an extra one
exists somewhere. - and vice versa. It all averages out.

' ' ' ' ' ' ' So there, now the world is out of balance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cuppycake" wrote in message
ps.com...
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Move out to your own house while you still know it all. How old are you?

Apparently not old enough to know that "I" (first person pronoun) is always
capitalized.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Newsreader" wrote in message
. ..
Ask him to take up whitteling? With a real sharp knife.

Just kidding.

Be glad you still have a Dad. I wish I did, even though he sometimes used
to get on my nerves doing things I'd rather do myself

One of the few good answers in this thread, along with the ones about doing
some volunteer work together and maybe learning some stuff. To Daddy, you
will always be his kid, in need of being cared for. He needs to be needed.
In 20 years or so, you will likely be missing the hell out of him, and the
botched DIY projects will seem meaningless.

Buy him some DIY self-instruction books, maybe some decent tools
(non-powered), and make up simple idiot-proof projects for him. Sign up,
together, for some of the classes at the local home center or vocational
school, and both of you can actually learn how to do some simple stuff
properly. Go over to his place, and help him with some of the chores over
there. If he is anything like most Dads I know, he mainly wants to spend
time with you. Hell, I grew up in the business, and I still call my old man
with household repair and design questions that I usually already know the
answer to, since that is one of the few topics he feels comfortable talking
for more than five minutes about. And he still suprises me sometimes with a
different idea that is better than what I had come up with.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I havnt been able to find the ones Ive been missing. Its been years
since the hens teeth Id had were found. Since I cant find them, its
rough to type, and Im not sure I can do this much longer. Im going
through apostrophes syndrome. Withdrawl is makin me crazy.

Hey, brother, can you loan me an apostrophe?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Heybub" wrote in message
Ether Jones wrote:
Paul wrote:

By the way, there is no need for the apostrophe in the title.

Yes, there is. She just put it in the wrong word.

Which proves the adage that for every missing apostrophe, an extra one
exists somewhere. - and vice versa. It all averages out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank's, E'd,
Ther'e's the apos'tro'phe's I'd been look'n f'r. Yo'u're a tru'e
frien'd.

--

Christoph'r A. Y'ung
You can't sho't down a tro'l.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Heybub" wrote in message

Which proves the adage that for every missing apostrophe, an extra

one
exists somewhere. - and vice versa. It all averages out.

' ' ' ' ' ' ' So there, now the world is out of balance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I havnt been able to find the ones Ive been missing. Its been years
since the hens teeth Id had were found. Since I cant find them, its
rough to type, and Im not sure I can do this much longer. Im going
through apostrophes syndrome. Withdrawl is makin me crazy.

Hey, brother, can you loan me an apostrophe?

Well, there's the answer; the OP can have his dad churn out apostrophes
for replacement where they're missing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

[...]

An excellent post.

No one on their death bed ever mumbled "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time
at the office.".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" writes:
"cuppycake" wrote in message
ups.com...
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Move out to your own house while you still know it all. How old are you?

Note that the OP said "stop killing my house?" and
not "[...] his house?".

Apparently not old enough to know that "I" (first person pronoun) is
always capitalized.

you know, I've heard that English is the only language that
capitalizes the first person pronouns.

I think that that says something about our arrogance.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Posted to alt.home.repair

An excellent post.

No one on their death bed ever mumbled "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time
at the office.".

If I don't get manage to accomplish my first plan,
(being shot by a jealous husband at the age of 96)
I'm gonna say that, just out of spite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
"Steve B" writes:
"cuppycake" wrote in message
oups.com...
My dad always wants to fix things around the house but he really is bad
at it. Do anyone have any tips on how i cant stop him killing my house?

Move out to your own house while you still know it all. How old are you?

Note that the OP said "stop killing my house?" and
not "[...] his house?".

Apparently not old enough to know that "I" (first person pronoun) is
always capitalized.

you know, I've heard that English is the only language that
capitalizes the first person pronouns.

I think that that says something about our arrogance.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

I have seen "Failure to Launch" adult children who had the "my" house
attitude. It could have been one of them.

Steve