Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why I dont DIY

I took Friday off work do do a bit of DIY.

Put a rad cover together and fitted it over the bathroom rad, this was a
painful task as the MDF flat pack rad cover was ****e like I had never seen
before and when I had finished bodging it I may have well have built one
from scratch.
Anyway the bathroom door wont close.
I needed the rad cover as since having the bathroom wall reskimmed I cant
get skirting between the pipes and the bloody wall. I suppose I could mitre
some pieces and butt them together behind.

Put some architrave around a downstairs window, looked OK or at least will
with some filler, went to do bathroom window and didnt have enough so just
did the 2 sides intending to do top later. If I am being honest I only had
enough to do one side, I used 2 pieces up the other side.
After a couple of shandies last night I noted that I had done one side (the
full piece obviously) with the wrong end up to the window casing, took it
off along with a portion of fresh skim.

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

Why you don't DIY?

Or why planning, more planning, and planning again, is everything?

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:15:51 -0000, "R D S" wrote:

[...]

Damn .. it happens ..

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

And why I don't even start on days like that .. or if I don't feel
that the materials / tools I have are 'right'.

Give it a while then git back on that horse pardner! .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:33:32 GMT, T i m wrote:

Damn .. it happens ..

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

And why I don't even start on days like that .. or if I don't feel
that the materials / tools I have are 'right'.

Give it a while then git back on that horse pardner! .. ;-)

yeah, find another job and come back to that one later!

Tom (who has just been partially crushed while hanging a metal gate so
is going to do something else thisafternoon!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a father or father-in-law?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
[...]

I think you need some new glasses

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
[...]

You could be right, off to ruok4cheapspexm8.tw straight away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately not, father-location unknown, father-in-law-useless and a
tosser.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:33:32 GMT, T i m wrote:

Damn .. it happens ..

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

And why I don't even start on days like that .. or if I don't feel
that the materials / tools I have are 'right'.

Give it a while then git back on that horse pardner! .. ;-)

yeah, find another job and come back to that one later!

I daren't start another job in this house before I finish a few.
I was doing these jobs because there is work needed doing in the kitchen, if
I start then every room in the house will have 'issues'.

Tom (who has just been partially crushed while hanging a metal gate so
is going to do something else thisafternoon!)

Feet up with a beer is usually the safest bet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 17:32, "R D S" wrote:
"Tom Woods" wrote in message

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:33:32 GMT, T i m wrote:

Damn .. it happens ..

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

so true. DIY defintiely has a learning curve.

I daren't start another job in this house before I finish a few.
I was doing these jobs because there is work needed doing in the kitchen, if
I start then every room in the house will have 'issues'.

lol. If you mean to get there you will. But if you dont really want
to... you wont.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"R D S" writes:

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

Sometimes it doesn't work even when it is.

Yesterday, decided to give my shaver a good clean.
It's a very old Remington Microscreen, for which foils
are no longer available, but I don't shave much as I
have a beard, so I was hoping it would keep on going.
The other thing was to measure the size of the
rechargables in it, so I can order new ones from CPC.
Carefully opened it on my electronics bench, being
sure not to lose the spring clips which hold it
together. Get it apart and give it a good spray with
compressed air can. Took the bottom part down to the
garage to measure the cells with vernier calipers.
Then went hunting around the house for the CPC
catalogue -- found it in the bedroom. Down to the PC
to put the cells on my CPC order. Take the shaver
back up to the electronics workbench to reassemble
it. Get it half back together, then suddenly realise
theres an essential ping****it missing which I hadn't
taken off. Search around the electronics bench and
it's not to be found. Now where else have I been with
it? Just about everywhere round the house and garage.
The expression involving needles and haystacks comes
to mind.

Off to Boots to buy a new shaver...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 11 Mar, 17:32, "R D S" wrote:
"Tom Woods" wrote in message

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:33:32 GMT, T i m wrote:

Damn .. it happens ..

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

so true. DIY defintiely has a learning curve.

I daren't start another job in this house before I finish a few.
I was doing these jobs because there is work needed doing in the kitchen,
if
I start then every room in the house will have 'issues'.

lol. If you mean to get there you will. But if you dont really want
to... you wont.

Its funny though, its women who are more keen to see DIY done, but never
want to have a go.

Equal rights my arse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"R D S" writes:

It doesn't work when ones heart isn't really in it.

theres an essential ping****it missing which I hadn't
taken off.

Ping****it?
Is that like the spring which I found had fallen out of the botom of a
machine at work after I had replaced a belt?
There are no symptoms so far, I keep my fingers crossed.

Off to Boots to buy a new shaver...

I bought some electric shaver heads from boots, pack said 'fits ALL
Phillishave models'.
Well they didn't fit mine so back they went.
'I can't refund you' she said, 'you have opened the pack'.
Needless to say I got a refund but why does everything have to be slightly
more difficult than necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Get it half back together, then suddenly realise theres an essential
ping****it missing which I hadn't taken off. Search around the
electronics bench and it's not to be found. Now where else have I been
with it? Just about everywhere round the house and garage. The
expression involving needles and haystacks comes to mind.

If your electronics bench is anything like mine then finding any small
component will be impossible. Particularly if it followed the random
trajectory of compressed air.

You've got a beard... You're a lighting dude.... get your mugshot on
the lighting group. The galleries been invaded by someone who's clean
shaven and we need to intimidate them.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Ping****it?
Is that like the spring which I found had fallen out of the botom of a
machine at work after I had replaced a belt?
There are no symptoms so far, I keep my fingers crossed.

A while ago I worked for a company who sold commercial cleaning machines.
One particular rep was universally disliked. One day he was loading several
machines into the back of his car for a demonstration.

We chucked a handful of assorted nuts, bolts, springs, circlips etc in when
he wasn't looking. He worried about it for weeks :-)

Well they didn't fit mine so back they went.
'I can't refund you' she said, 'you have opened the pack'.
Needless to say I got a refund but why does everything have to be
slightly more difficult than necessary.

Retail seems to attract the brain hurters.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ping****it! What a perfect description!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

Wish I could find a link to a sound file, but in the absence, here's the
lyrics to that lovely old song just to remind you we all have those
days......

The Gas Man Cometh - Flanders and Swann

'Twas on a Monday morning the gas man came to call.
The gas tap wouldn't turn - I wasn't getting gas at all.
He tore out all the skirting boards to try and find the main
And I had to call a carpenter to put them back again.

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.

'Twas on a Tuesday morning the carpenter came round.
He hammered and he chiselled and he said:
"Look what I've found: your joists are full of dry rot
But I'll put them all to rights".
Then he nailed right through a cable and out went all the lights!

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.

'Twas on a Wednesday morning the electrician came.
He called me Mr. Sanderson, which isn't quite the name.
He couldn't reach the fuse box without standing on the bin
And his foot went through a window so I called the glazier in.

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.

'Twas on a Thursday morning the glazier came round
With his blow torch and his putty and his merry glazier's song.
He put another pane in - it took no time at all
But I had to get a painter in to come and paint the wall.

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.

'Twas on a Friday morning the painter made a start.
With undercoats and overcoats he painted every part:
Every nook and every cranny - but I found when he was gone
He'd painted over the gas tap and I couldn't turn it on!

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.

On Saturday and Sunday they do no work at all;
So 'twas on a Monday morning that the gasman came to call...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Get it half back together, then suddenly realise
theres an essential ping****it missing which I hadn't
taken off.

Ping****it! What a perfect description!

Sadly, I can't claim to have invented it. First heard it some
6 or 7 years ago from a PC lab guy when I was working in the US.
Then I saw someone mention it in this newsgroup a few months back.
A Google search shows it mostly comes up in motorcycle forums, and
as it happens, the PC lab guy I first heard it from was a biker
who was in to stripping his engines down (there were bits of them
on the shelf in his office).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin" wrote in message

R D S wrote:
I took Friday off work do do a bit of DIY.

'Twas on a Wednesday morning the electrician came.
He called me Mr. Sanderson, which isn't quite the name.

Oddly that is my name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Get it half back together, then suddenly realise
theres an essential ping****it missing which I hadn't
taken off.

Ping****it! What a perfect description!

Sadly, I can't claim to have invented it. First heard it some
6 or 7 years ago from a PC lab guy when I was working in the US.
Then I saw someone mention it in this newsgroup a few months back.
A Google search shows it mostly comes up in motorcycle forums, and
as it happens, the PC lab guy I first heard it from was a biker
who was in to stripping his engines down (there were bits of them
on the shelf in his office).

Or tonight's offering

.... like trying to teach algebra to a peanut

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

R D S wrote:
I took Friday off work do do a bit of DIY.

'Twas on a Wednesday morning the electrician came.
He called me Mr. Sanderson, which isn't quite the name.

Oddly that is my name.

It goes from bad to worse: the electrician goes to the wrong house!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

"Martin" wrote in message

R D S wrote:
I took Friday off work do do a bit of DIY.

'Twas on a Wednesday morning the electrician came.
He called me Mr. Sanderson, which isn't quite the name.

Oddly that is my name.

Must be tough, being called Oddly.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Martin" saying
something like:

Back in the early '60s my dad had a BMC Farina model with the indicator side
stalk on the steerig column. It'd played up on the way home, so back in
the dark garage he thought he'd see if he could fix it. Well, that Big
Bang of ping****its is still expanding into the Universe. There wasn't
any point in even getting a torch

My first attempt to repair an electro-mechanical timer control on an old
Hotpoint was accompanied by much swearing and the release of numerous
PFs into the space-time continuum. I'm convinced the makers either have
a pact with the Devil or a local black hole they assemble them in.

- a 3-position switch on the dashboard
was the easiest and permanent solution. Pity it didn't self-cancel.

Heh, I remember those dash switches. Combined with the dip footswitch,
you'd end up doing a dance as you drove.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
My first attempt to repair an electro-mechanical timer control on an
old Hotpoint was accompanied by much swearing and the release of
numerous PFs into the space-time continuum. I'm convinced the makers
either have a pact with the Devil or a local black hole they assemble
them in.

I recall visiting a friend (also a time served spark) who was checking
out the controller on his washing machine. He held it in his hand and
asked me to turn the power on so he could check if the cam motor was
running. Having noted the row of contacts underneath where he seemed to
be gripping it I asked if he was sure he was clear of the contacts. He
said yes he was sure, so I dutifully switched it on and then off again
quickly just in case. What a scream he let out! He hadn't seen the
contacts underneath and had his fingers across them.

Ho hum.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Dont ya just love... George UK diy 3 February 19th 07 05:24 PM
Dad's And DIY dont mix cuppycake Home Repair 27 October 12th 06 11:30 PM
dont read it [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 4th 06 03:17 PM
dont read it [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 4th 06 03:15 PM
TS Query - What DONT you like about your saw? john moorhead Woodworking 7 September 6th 03 09:18 PM