Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT? Lightning

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 04:55:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

So if you're willing to stand in the rain in the open space, you might
as well play golf. Hard to beleive after all these years.

Lightning safety tips and facts -- and which activities are more
dangerous than golfing.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/lightning_safety_tips_and_fact.html
Soccer is the deadliest sport when it comes to lightning. Of
the sports activities, soccer saw the greatest number of
deaths with 12 (golf had eight). Around the home, yard work,
including mowing the lawn, accounted for 12 fatalities. For
work-related activities, ranching/farming topped the list with
14 deaths.

Ok. Forget about golf, soccer, fishing, yard work, farming, etc, and
you'll probably be safe.

"It's true that the chances of you being injured or killed by lightning
are very small." It should be "your being injured..." Should I
discount what he says cause his English is bad? That's my first
reaction.

A spelling chequer doesn't catch such mistakes.

"Every one who's been accidentally sturck by lightning did nothing to
attract the strike to them." That's not true. Everyone agrees that
standing under a lone tree is dangerous, and I've read in the paper
about people killed while standing under a tree during a lightning
storm. In fact a paragraph below he says it's commonly understood to
stay away from trees, and there is some merit to that. But that it is
dangerous anywhere outside.

Maybe. According the article, water sports are more dangerous than
golfing. Therefore, avoid fishing or swimming in the water hazard.

Oh, well. I don't play golf anyhow, but I guess umbrellas are safe.

Ummm... speaking of bad grammar. The umbrella is safe. We're talking
about whether you are safe, not the umbrella.

You're safe but only when you're not connected to the umbrella. Given
the choice of lightning hitting you with or without an umbrella, I
would say the odds are about the same.

Actually, your best protection is to get someone else to do something
stupid and wave the a golf club or umbrella around during a storm,
while you watch from a safe distance. Always bring a sacrificial
accomplice or relative during a lightning storm. They take the hit
while you're quite safe.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/safety.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann kom med følgende:

Maybe. According the article, water sports are more dangerous than
golfing. Therefore, avoid fishing or swimming in the water hazard.

And round bales kill more people than sharks.

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

So if you're willing to stand in the rain in the open space, you might
as well play golf. Hard to beleive after all these years.

Lightning safety tips and facts -- and which activities are more
dangerous than golfing.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/lightning_safety_tips_and_fact.html
Soccer is the deadliest sport when it comes to lightning. Of
the sports activities, soccer saw the greatest number of
deaths with 12 (golf had eight). Around the home, yard work,
including mowing the lawn, accounted for 12 fatalities. For
work-related activities, ranching/farming topped the list with
14 deaths.

Ok. Forget about golf, soccer, fishing, yard work, farming, etc, and
you'll probably be safe.

SNIP
Years ago, when our spring here in WA State was especially wet, I was
determined to get the garden rototilled and ready for planting. So I
was out in the yard, in the pouring rain, stubbornly tilling the wet
ground. My wife kept yelling at me from the door to come inside or I
might get hit by lightning. There was thunder and lightning going on
but I knew there was no way it would get close to me or hit me.
Finally my wife and one of her clients both yelled at me to come
inside. I took off my hearing protection and walked over to the house,
****ed at being hassled and ready to complain about it. Before I got
the chance to put my foot in my mouth they both informed me that
lightning had struck the chainlink fence 15 feet behind me and didn't
that scare me enough to get inside? I had just been ignoring the
thunder and lightning and had no idea it was such a close strike. I
think I was pretty lucky that day not to have been cooked.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:34:11 -0500, Jon Elson

Before I got
the chance to put my foot in my mouth they both informed me that
lightning had struck the chainlink fence 15 feet behind me and didn't
that scare me enough to get inside? I had just been ignoring the
thunder and lightning and had no idea it was such a close strike. I
think I was pretty lucky that day not to have been cooked.

Yes, it is a fairly easy to understand phenomenon that lightning that
strikes REALLY close to you doesn't make a lot more noise.
If the strike is essentially end-on to you, all the sound goes
outward from the bolt. What you hear sounds more like a car door
being slammed than a lightning bolt. I assume you were on a
tractor of some sort? That prevented you from getting zapped by
currents in the ground. You really DON'T want to have (both) feet
on the ground anywhere near where lightning touches down.

I've been fairly close to a few lightning strikes (and not operating
noisy equipment at the time) and was interested to observe that while the
strike was really close (visually) it didn't make a huge noise.

Jon

I was standing on the muddy ground holding the plastic coated steel
handles on the rototiller. So I think I'm pretty lucky. Pretty stupid
too at the time.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:42:58 -0500, Jon Elson

I was standing on the muddy ground holding the plastic coated steel
handles on the rototiller. So I think I'm pretty lucky. Pretty stupid
too at the time.

Oh, WOW! Well, that plastic may have really worked, too! Over a couple
feet of wet ground, you probably don't drop all that much voltage, so
a little insulation might really help. On the other hand, the
electrical potential from a ground strike travels quite far. I had
my hand on a water faucet when we had a ground strike probably 1/4 mile
away, and I got a strong tingle.

Jon

I can be pretty clueless sometimes. Once I was pulling crab pots from
my 12 foot John boat while my wife watched from the shore. She started
yelling and waving to get my attention but I couldn't hear her. She
wanted to get my attention because a grey whale surfaced on the other
side of the boat, close enough for me to touch, and I didn't notice it
until it started to go under again.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:50:43 -0700, wrote:

[...]

That does sound like a close call. You're lucky you're not still
welded to the rototiller.

Did the lightning kill the gray whale?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

So if you're willing to stand in the rain in the open space, you might
as well play golf. Hard to beleive after all these years.

Lightning safety tips and facts -- and which activities are more
dangerous than golfing.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/lightning_safety_tips_and_fact.html
Soccer is the deadliest sport when it comes to lightning. Of
the sports activities, soccer saw the greatest number of
deaths with 12 (golf had eight).

Ahh, statistics,
How do we account for deaths per man hour performing the activity?
Seems to be US stats, I would think there is a lot more total
(man hours performing the activity) for golf than soccer. so soccer
would seem to be much more dangerous than the 12 vs 8 shows.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

So if you're willing to stand in the rain in the open space, you might
as well play golf. Hard to beleive after all these years.

Lightning safety tips and facts -- and which activities are more
dangerous than golfing.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/lightning_safety_tips_and_fact.html
Soccer is the deadliest sport when it comes to lightning. Of
the sports activities, soccer saw the greatest number of
deaths with 12 (golf had eight).

Ahh, statistics,

Groan, statistics.

How do we account for deaths per man hour performing the activity?
Seems to be US stats, I would think there is a lot more total
(man hours performing the activity) for golf than soccer. so soccer
would seem to be much more dangerous than the 12 vs 8 shows.
Mikek

There are two ways to do it. One is fatalities per hour of the
activity. The other is fatalities per year, ignoring any differences
in popularity and length of activity. Since insurance billing is by
the month, and such statistics usually come from insurance actuaries,
such articles usually use fatalities per month or year. I agree that
it would make more sense to rate the danger level by the hours of
activity or exposure, but obtaining the necessary numbers is
difficult.

I don't have a clue why getting killed by lightning while playing
soccer is more likely than golf. Perhaps because there are more
players (targets) on the field in soccer than in golf. More likely
the deity in charge of soccer is ****ed off because of all the bizarre
rule changes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/sports/worldcup/stoppage-time-in-the-world-cup-underscores-soccers-strange-rules.html
and has decided that some divine intervention is required.
"Spain’s World Cup team plane struck by lightning"
http://nypost.com/2014/06/24/spains-world-cup-team-plane-struck-by-lightning/

lightning strikes Stephen[_6_] UK diy 58 July 10th 09 03:47 AM
Nevada Lightning Lab steamer Metalworking 1 June 14th 09 12:52 AM
Lightning Arrestors PVR Home Repair 7 September 6th 05 03:58 PM
Lightning jakdedert Electronics Repair 16 July 3rd 05 09:17 PM
Lightning conductors DKSanders UK diy 27 October 29th 03 01:26 AM