Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT? Lightning

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 09:50:37 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 04:55:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

So if you're willing to stand in the rain in the open space, you might
as well play golf. Hard to beleive after all these years.

Lightning safety tips and facts -- and which activities are more
dangerous than golfing.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/lightning_safety_tips_and_fact.html
Soccer is the deadliest sport when it comes to lightning. Of
the sports activities, soccer saw the greatest number of
deaths with 12 (golf had eight). Around the home, yard work,
including mowing the lawn, accounted for 12 fatalities. For
work-related activities, ranching/farming topped the list with
14 deaths.

Ok. Forget about golf, soccer, fishing, yard work, farming, etc, and
you'll probably be safe.

SNIP
Years ago, when our spring here in WA State was especially wet, I was
determined to get the garden rototilled and ready for planting. So I
was out in the yard, in the pouring rain, stubbornly tilling the wet
ground. My wife kept yelling at me from the door to come inside or I
might get hit by lightning. There was thunder and lightning going on
but I knew there was no way it would get close to me or hit me.
Finally my wife and one of her clients both yelled at me to come
inside. I took off my hearing protection and walked over to the house,
****ed at being hassled and ready to complain about it. Before I got
the chance to put my foot in my mouth they both informed me that
lightning had struck the chainlink fence 15 feet behind me and didn't
that scare me enough to get inside? I had just been ignoring the
thunder and lightning and had no idea it was such a close strike. I
think I was pretty lucky that day not to have been cooked.
Eric