Posted to alt.home.repair

Default do i need to suport the cabinet over the refridgerator by three sides.

I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three sides. is
that true?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...th-885662-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 22:44:01 +0000, helpneeded
wrote:

I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three sides. is
that true?

No, not always. What happens if there in no third side?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2016 6:44 PM, helpneeded wrote:
I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three
sides. is
that true?

The cabinet over the fridge is useless, only decorative. Most cannot be
reached. If screwed into the wall that is all the support you need.

The cabinet over my new fridge had to be cut down as the fridge is
taller than the old one. It was opened for the first time in over 20
years. Cut down, it is only trimmed doors on the front, no bottom any
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 6:44:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/23/2016 6:44 PM, helpneeded wrote:
I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three
sides. is
that true?

The cabinet over the fridge is useless, only decorative. Most cannot be
reached. If screwed into the wall that is all the support you need.

The cabinet over my new fridge had to be cut down as the fridge is
taller than the old one. It was opened for the first time in over 20
years. Cut down, it is only trimmed doors on the front, no bottom any
more.

What? You never heard of a step stool? I'm 5 feet 12 inches tall and I used a step stool in the kitchen all the time. At home in the kitchen, I have cabinets and a shelf that go all the way to the ceiling. A step stool makes it easier to access stuff up high. I put rarely used items in the high altitude spots. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Step Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2016 8:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

New fridge is not only taller, but deeper. Not worth trying to use the
space. Step stool is used frequently for one of the other cabinets though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 7:48:21 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'd put the doggie treats up high to keep them away from the chihuahua. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Cabinet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

An unusable cabinet is a kitchen designers mistake . The cab over the
fridge needs to be deeper than a standard wall cabinet so you can reach the
doors - and keep people from stackin' **** on top of the refrigerator .
It's primary use (at our house) is to store things that are not used often ,
like punch bowls and the big roasting pan that you only use when the whole
family comes for Christmas dinner . In twenty years building cabinets for a
living , I've seen a lot of stuff that didn't work . And learned a lot about
what does ... like a pullout with a rotating half-round bilevel shelf for a
corner cabinet .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 8:03:12 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

My late friend GB who passed away at age 71 was a highly skilled cabinet maker. He started working in his brother's cabinet shop when he was 12 years old. He was the type of guy who could look at piece of wood and tell what type it was and how it would turn out after being worked. I don't know if there are many young people in this country who are apprenticing in the trades anymore. It's a real shame. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Cabinet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/2016 04:44 PM, helpneeded wrote:
I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three sides. is
that true?

Is the salesman is trying to sell you some poorly-engineered particle board cabinets?
Maybe he's afraid the cabinets will fall apart when you load them up the first time?

Particle board is junk, look for cabinets made with plywood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 7:44:36 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/23/2016 6:44 PM, helpneeded wrote:
I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three
sides. is
that true?

The cabinet over the fridge is useless, only decorative. Most cannot be
reached. If screwed into the wall that is all the support you need.

The cabinet over my new fridge had to be cut down as the fridge is
taller than the old one. It was opened for the first time in over 20
years. Cut down, it is only trimmed doors on the front, no bottom any
more.

I had to trim mine down when I went to a cabinet depth fridge, that was
taller than the old one. I wouldn't say it's totally useless. I can
still easily reach stuff in the front, that's where I keep the cat food
cans, for instance. But I can't get to the back without a stool. The
reason I can still use mine may be that the fridge is counter depth,
so it's close to flush with the fridge, no need to reach over it.
The rest of the cabinet is still useful if you want to put some rarely
used stuff in the back, where you need the stool. But the space isn't
all that much either.

To answer the OP's question, a cabinet can certainly be supported without
another cabinet after it. Happens all the time. If it has secure
fastening in the back and the top, it's not going anywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 06:28:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

The cabinet over my new fridge had to be cut down as the fridge is
taller than the old one. It was opened for the first time in over 20
years. Cut down, it is only trimmed doors on the front, no bottom any
more.

I had to trim mine down when I went to a cabinet depth fridge, that was
taller than the old one. I wouldn't say it's totally useless. I can
still easily reach stuff in the front, that's where I keep the cat food
cans, for instance. But I can't get to the back without a stool. The
reason I can still use mine may be that the fridge is counter depth,
so it's close to flush with the fridge, no need to reach over it.
The rest of the cabinet is still useful if you want to put some rarely
used stuff in the back, where you need the stool. But the space isn't
all that much either.

Our fridge extends 9" past the base cabinets. From the front of the
fridge to the front of the cabinet above it is 22", plus the fridge
door handles. Too far to reach even with a one step stool to be
practical. IIRC, it is 70" high.

The old fridge was a side by side with 22 cu. ft. This is a French
door, the same width, but is 25 Cu. Ft. It grew a little taller and
deeper for the extra space. Much more practical to use too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The cabinet over the fridge is probably where you should hide your
valuables. Nobody ever looks in there for anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's the difference. My cabinets are hung under a soffit and
originally they were set back about 5" into the soffit. When I
decided to go to a cabinet depth fridge, I had to shorten the
cabinet above it. At the same time, I moved that cabinet and the
one next to it forward, only about an inch back from the soffit.
Net result is the fridge is close to flush, only the door thickness
sticks out past the cabinets. It really looks so much better.
And also I still have some use of that upper cabinet.

Too far to reach even with a one step stool to be
practical. IIRC, it is 70" high.

The old fridge was a side by side with 22 cu. ft. This is a French
door, the same width, but is 25 Cu. Ft. It grew a little taller and
deeper for the extra space. Much more practical to use too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I agree ! Too many people take the easy way out , buy prefab
assemble-at-home junk that doesn't last a month then whine about the quality
of stuff . This past Christmas our 2 youngest granddaughters got toy boxes .
I built them of SYP 1x6's , assembled with glue , screws , and 16 ga pin
nails . Heavy strap hinges , those toy boxes will still be around when they
have kids .
I'll be building the cabinets for our new kitchen ... and there won't be a
single piece of particle board .
Today I finished nailing the wall sheathing and lifted one truss to the
top plate (still needs to be stood up) as a proof-of-concept for the block
and tackle rig I put together .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I hope you'll post pictures of the finished product. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Wooden Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've been lax , when I started this project I was posting progress pics on
my photobucket . Gotta get back in the habit .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Take it apart back to the last picture taken, then take the missing progress pics
as you put it back together.

You owe us! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 19:44:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/23/2016 6:44 PM, helpneeded wrote:
I don't want to box in my fridge, but, that cabinet salesman is telling me
that the cabinet over the fridge needs to be supported on all three
sides. is
that true?

The cabinet over the fridge is useless, only decorative. Most cannot be
reached. If screwed into the wall that is all the support you need.

The cabinet over my new fridge had to be cut down as the fridge is
taller than the old one. It was opened for the first time in over 20
years. Cut down, it is only trimmed doors on the front, no bottom any
more.

Screws are not always enough, and by all means DO NOT use drywall screws
(which easily break). A woman that I once knew, filled an entire cabinet
with canned food. When the screws snapped, the whole cabinet crashed,
destroying several counter top appliances, including her microwave,
breaking off the faucet handle on her sink, wrecking her counter top,
and smashing a lot of dishes. It could have been a lot worse if her
children had been there....

Those cans combined weight was probably 300 to 400lbs, plus the weight
of the cabinet itself.

I would never install kitchen cabinets with anything less than two 1/4"
lag bolts in *each* stud (top and bottom of cabinet). And each lag bolt
should go at least 2 inches into the studs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:40:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

The experience of God knows how many cabinet installation using
only screws suggests otherwise. Never been in a house where they
were installed with anything other than screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

[...]

The bovine is a little screwy...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2016 9:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

An unusable cabinet is a kitchen designers mistake . The cab over the
fridge needs to be deeper than a standard wall cabinet so you can reach the
doors - and keep people from stackin' **** on top of the refrigerator .

snip

The OP might want to consider no cupboard above the refrigerator and a
turntable on top of the fridge instead of a deep cupboard (possibly
easier and cheaper to do).

In one house I had there was just enough space below a shallow top
cupboard to store drinking glasses on a lazy susan on top of the
refrigerator. That was a good place to keep them (near the point of
first use) and the turntable made them all easily accessible - no
stepstool needed...

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 2:58:26 PM UTC-4, Susan Bugher wrote:
On 4/23/2016 9:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

An unusable cabinet is a kitchen designers mistake . The cab over the
fridge needs to be deeper than a standard wall cabinet so you can reach the
doors - and keep people from stackin' **** on top of the refrigerator .

snip

The OP might want to consider no cupboard above the refrigerator and a
turntable on top of the fridge instead of a deep cupboard (possibly
easier and cheaper to do).

In one house I had there was just enough space below a shallow top
cupboard to store drinking glasses on a lazy susan on top of the
refrigerator. That was a good place to keep them (near the point of
first use) and the turntable made them all easily accessible - no
stepstool needed...

Susan
--

A turntable on top of the fridge may cause the dust to get dizzy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 1:58:26 PM UTC-5, Susan Bugher wrote:
On 4/23/2016 9:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

An unusable cabinet is a kitchen designers mistake . The cab over the
fridge needs to be deeper than a standard wall cabinet so you can reach the
doors - and keep people from stackin' **** on top of the refrigerator .

snip

The OP might want to consider no cupboard above the refrigerator and a
turntable on top of the fridge instead of a deep cupboard (possibly
easier and cheaper to do).

In one house I had there was just enough space below a shallow top
cupboard to store drinking glasses on a lazy susan on top of the
refrigerator. That was a good place to keep them (near the point of
first use) and the turntable made them all easily accessible - no
stepstool needed...

Susan
--

You're a smart lady Sue. You just proved that men should listen to women because they may have a different idea and approach to a problem. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Smart Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

An unusable cabinet is a kitchen designers mistake. The cab over the
fridge needs to be deeper than a standard wall cabinet so you can
reach the doors - and keep people from stackin' **** on top of the
refrigerator. It's primary use (at our house) is to store things
that are not used often

My wife likes to decorate cakes, so the cabinet over the refrigerator is
where we store all of her cake pans, travel boxes, and decorating supplies.
She doesn't use them that often and they take up a lot of space, so it's an
ideal location for those items.

We do have a small step ladder for accessing the items in that cabinet.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:11:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

A turntable on top of the fridge may cause the dust to get dizzy.

+1