Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help with refridgerator

Is there is anything I can or should do about a 12 year old
refridgerator in my workshop. It is a medium size house appliance
that I bought used for $200. It has worked well, but has recently
quit cooling to some extent.

The freezer (separate compartment on top), will barely keep ice and.
I can put Cokes of beer in the freezer and they will not freeze.
Nice and cold to drink though.

In the refrigerator part, the temp runs about 50 to 55 degrees.

I cleaned the dirt off the fan located at the bottom back of the
unit. Didn't think it would help, and it didn't.

I doubt that the unit is worth the $50 for a service call, + any
parts. Not even sure someone could fix it. Is there anything I can
or should do to see if I can fix it.

Thanks in advance for advice,

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cool but not cold is typically one of several problems:

Dirty condensor coils
Bad fan
Low freon

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The evapoator coil is probably frozen up. Check it and see. If it is,
unplug the box and let it sit with the doors open for a day or so until
it is all thawed out, the plug it back in and see if it starts working.
If so, you probably have a problem with the defrost timer, defrost
thermostat, or heater. You may get also lucky and find that the drain
from the evaporator is plugged, causing the coil to ice up, depending n
the design of the box. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Is there is anything I can or should do about a 12 year old
refridgerator in my workshop. It is a medium size house appliance
that I bought used for $200. It has worked well, but has recently
quit cooling to some extent.

Did *someone* bump the temperature control knob to
'low' whilst parking the beer?

--Winston -- Just asking a question
Posted to alt.home.repair

* "Bob-tx" wrote in ink.net...
*
[...]
* Thanks for all the suggestions. *I don't have any freon and
wouldn't know how to put it in if I did. *I had a 30 pound bottle of
* R12, used it for years to top off the units in our two vehicles.
* Sold it last year - half gone, for three times what I paid for the
* whole thing.

* I am good with tools, mechanics, etc, but don't know a darn thing
* about refridgeration so don't have any confidence in trying
anything. *Don't know where the the condenser coills are located,
but will try to find them.

* Other than that, I think it is time to junk it and get another
one -
* if I can find something on Craigslist.

* Thanks again for the info.

* Bob-tx

Does tx mean Texas? Anywhere near Houston?

In with the new...

http://houston.craigslist.org/app/1303223358.html

Out with the old...

http://houston.craigslist.org/hsh/1303618056.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the nameplate. Might be a 134a fridge.

The can tap things for 134a have a quick connect fitting,
won't help with a piercing valve. I did use an old can of 12
to juice up a fridge, one time, for a friend.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 04:47:29 -0600, "Bob-tx"

After you have tried everything and you decided it was low
on Freon
you could try shooting in about a half a can of R134 via a
piercing
valve. I know it is the wrong gas and a dozen other things
but I have
seen people squeak another year or two out of a dead one
that way. If
you do have a dusty can of R12 you could use that but it is
worth more
than a running fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like someone got a good deal on a half jug of R-12.
I'm in NYS, near Rochester. Are we any where close?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Is there is anything I can or should do about a 12 year old
refridgerator in my workshop. It is a medium size house appliance
that I bought used for $200. It has worked well, but has recently
quit cooling to some extent.

The freezer (separate compartment on top), will barely keep ice and.
I can put Cokes of beer in the freezer and they will not freeze.
Nice and cold to drink though.

In the refrigerator part, the temp runs about 50 to 55 degrees.

I cleaned the dirt off the fan located at the bottom back of the
unit. Didn't think it would help, and it didn't.

I doubt that the unit is worth the $50 for a service call, + any
parts. Not even sure someone could fix it. Is there anything I can
or should do to see if I can fix it.

Thanks in advance for advice,

Bob-tx

It could be a bad evaporator fan. If you open the freezer and
don't hear a fan running, that could be your problem. If you're
a tinkerer, you could remove the fan and lubricate it if it's
the bearings.

TDD

Refridgerator Woes (Sorry If This Came Through Twice!) Ryan P Home Repair 3 June 3rd 09 08:56 PM
Do I need a new thermostat for my GE Refridgerator Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 3 December 13th 07 12:38 PM
refridgerator defrost zekor Home Repair 2 May 24th 07 01:09 PM
Deepfreeze Refridgerator Wayne UK diy 2 May 6th 06 10:34 AM
REFRIDGERATOR DRAIN with URL Kathy Home Repair 2 March 14th 06 11:36 PM