Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Demolition firm sorry for wrecking wrong home

.... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2016 05:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

Weak excuse.

Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:42:20 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/28/2016 05:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

Weak excuse.

Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

I have an address sign on my house. Ever hear a police serving a
search warrant on the wrong address? It happens. How difficult is it
to have your ducks in a row...before you execute such an action

At least the demo team will make things right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

Garmin gps sent me to a wrong house. Owners said they had seen this
before. Wonder if same people don't supply maps to Garmin and Google.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:29:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

When my wife was building houses one of the guys in another
neighborhood built a house on the wrong lot. That was interesting
while they were trying to convince the lot owner he was not getting a
free house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:42 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/28/2016 05:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

Weak excuse.

Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

Might have checked the adress with the numbers on
front. And see if someone at home confirms the ad.
Any number of ways to be sure.

Any idiot could have properly bottom posted
instead of center posted.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:52 PM, Oren wrote:

I have an address sign on my house. Ever hear a police serving a
search warrant on the wrong address? It happens. How difficult is it
to have your ducks in a row...before you execute such an action

At least the demo team will make things right.

It is impossible to restore confidence and
peace of mind. Not to mention the baby
pictures, and old memories. Now, each day
they go to work and wonder what will happen
while they are away. Not at all pleasant.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 7:02 PM, Frank wrote:

Garmin gps sent me to a wrong house. Owners said they had seen this
before. Wonder if same people don't supply maps to Garmin and Google.

I've heard map companies often copy from each
other. And some times they put in bogus info
to catch the other guys who copy.

With those GPS, you can get confused. Never
sure if you're garmin or goin.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:59:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/28/2016 6:42 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/28/2016 05:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

Weak excuse.

Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

Might have checked the adress with the numbers on
front. And see if someone at home confirms the ad.
Any number of ways to be sure.

Any idiot could have properly bottom posted
instead of center posted.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

And any IDIOT could catch on to the fact that "inline posting" is the
most sensible way to answer a post.

Guess that means Stormy's no idiot.

He hasn't reached that level of intelligence yet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/16 8:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/28/2016 6:42 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/28/2016 05:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

Weak excuse.

Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not
empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

Might have checked the adress with the numbers on
front. And see if someone at home confirms the ad.
Any number of ways to be sure.

Any idiot could have properly bottom posted
instead of center posted.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org

The 2 house numbers were the same (7601), on different streets. The
houses were tornado damaged and uninhabitable. The "wrong" house was
repairable.

Google Maps admits both addresses pointed to the same "wrong" house.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/25/tech...le-maps-house/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 8:59:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/28/2016 6:42 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/28/2016 05:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

Weak excuse.

Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

Might have checked the adress with the numbers on
front. And see if someone at home confirms the ad.
Any number of ways to be sure.

Any idiot could have properly bottom posted
instead of center posted.

Only an idiot thinks that in-line posting is not proper.

Don't worry, eventually you'll come around, just like you did
when you quietly stopped top posting. You'll stop being wrong
about in-line responses and begin to see the advantages.

We'll wait for you to catch up, but we'll also keep reminding
you that you are wrong when you bring it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 9:22 PM, Retired wrote:
On 3/28/16 8:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Any idiot could have looked inside and seen that the house was not
empty.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

The 2 house numbers were the same (7601), on different streets. The
houses were tornado damaged and uninhabitable. The "wrong" house was
repairable.

Google Maps admits both addresses pointed to the same "wrong" house.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/25/tech...le-maps-house/

Sounds like several things indicated the wrong
house. What a mess, in any case. Ought to be
some way to be super sure -- post a sign on
front of the house to be demolished. Or?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 9:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 8:59:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Any idiot could have properly bottom posted
instead of center posted.

Only an idiot thinks that in-line posting is not proper.

It is possible to bottom post and trim text.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:22:04 -0400, Retired wrote:

The 2 house numbers were the same (7601), on different streets. The
houses were tornado damaged and uninhabitable. The "wrong" house was
repairable.

Google Maps admits both addresses pointed to the same "wrong" house.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/25/tech...le-maps-house/

"..."Except the street wasn't confirmed."

Basic homework to get your machines at the correct location

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:39:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ought to be some way to be super sure

Would the electrical wires still be in place?

It seems to me that even when the electricity has been cut off for
non-payment or extended uninhabitation, the wires are still connected, but
with the switch open on the pole.

Thus, the only way to unhook the wires legally for a demolition that is
safe is to request the power company to cut the wires.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:55:37 -0400, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:39:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ought to be some way to be super sure

Would the electrical wires still be in place?

It seems to me that even when the electricity has been cut off for
non-payment or extended uninhabitation, the wires are still connected, but
with the switch open on the pole.

Thus, the only way to unhook the wires legally for a demolition that is
safe is to request the power company to cut the wires.

After a tornado, the PoCo may have cut the drop or it might have been
taken out by the storm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

The map excuse is bogus. There should have been at least a
demo permit posted and the house marked. Not to mention
where is the supervisor?
They(BND) first said they wouldn't do anything, now with a
little press they are going what is right

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

True that, my own house is shown 4 houses off actual location.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:22:29 -0400, John wrote:

On 3/28/2016 6:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

True that, my own house is shown 4 houses off actual location.

John

There is a way to get your home remove from Google maps. I forget the
details, but car tags were exposed, garage doors open wide and people
mooning the Google car doing street maps as they drove by. You have to
jump through hoops to do it but it can be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2016 05:52 PM, Oren wrote:

snip

I have an address sign on my house. Ever hear a police serving a
search warrant on the wrong address? It happens. How difficult is it
to have your ducks in a row...before you execute such an action

At least the demo team will make things right.

It seems to be a true story but so many things are wrong:

A house that's to be removed would have a demolition order clearly
visible. Wires would be removed and water/ gas shut off. It would
clearly look abandoned.

The crew would need to first go inside to confirm...
and things like door locked and fully furnished house should have clued
even an idiot in that they were in the wrong place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:29 PM, Oren wrote:

... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

True that, my own house is shown 4 houses off actual location.

John

There is a way to get your home remove from Google maps. I forget the
details, but car tags were exposed, garage doors open wide and people
mooning the Google car doing street maps as they drove by. You have to
jump through hoops to do it but it can be done.

I have no idea if this is true/actually works. It could be a wacko site.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/privac...m-google-maps/

Typically a lot of that stuff is already pixelated out (faces, cars tags, etc.)
but apparently Google will do that for you if it was missed and you report it.

I just Street Viewed my house. The latest images was taken when no cars
were in my driveway, but my neighbor's tags are blurred out (two cars) and
the faces of a grandmother and the 2 kids in the stroller are also blurred
out.

Here's another fun thing about Street View: You can often tell when the
images of the same area were taken at very different times.

If I "walk" up my street from west to east, my living room drapes are
closed and there are no cars in my neighbor's driveway. If I walk past
my house and "turn around" to face it, someone has opened my drapes and
my neighbor has 3 visitors.If I then take one step towards my house, my
drapes are closed and the visitors have left. ;-)

I recently "walked" down a dead end street. The last house on the left
was very neat, clean and painted red. When I got to the very end of the
street and turned to look directly at the house, it was run down, over-
grown and dirty white. When I tried to turn again to walk back down the
street the other way, I could not "get out" of the image that showed the
old version of the house. It was as if the Street View database stepped
out of the present and found the old image, but couldn't get back to
present day because there was no new image for the exact location that
I standing at.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 1:02:30 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 03/28/2016 05:52 PM, Oren wrote:

snip

I have an address sign on my house. Ever hear a police serving a
search warrant on the wrong address? It happens. How difficult is it
to have your ducks in a row...before you execute such an action

At least the demo team will make things right.

It seems to be a true story but so many things are wrong:

A house that's to be removed would have a demolition order clearly
visible. Wires would be removed and water/ gas shut off. It would
clearly look abandoned.

The crew would need to first go inside to confirm...
and things like door locked and fully furnished house should have clued
even an idiot in that they were in the wrong place.

We (I) don't know those details. Both houses were damaged by a tornado. Perhaps
the wires were already down, the water/gas turned off and the family moved out.

According to another report...

"Homeowner Lindsay Diaz was unimpressed by the excuse, however, explaining that she had just applied for a builders permit to repair her home damaged by a Boxing Day tornado.

"I was driving home from work and I get a call from my neighbour," Ms Diaz told Kera News. "She's very frantic, crying and I asked her 'what's going on?' She said, 'a company came and demolished the house by mistake.'"

"When a structural engineer came out to see my home, he wrote a report stating that the home was structurally sound.

"One of the walls needed to be replaced, some of the rafters on the roof needed to be replaced, but the home was structurally sound and did not need to come down."

It sounds like it is possible that she wasn't actually living there and that
the damaged house appeared, for all intends and purposes, to be unoccupied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:29 PM, Oren wrote:

[...]

Your link led me back and reminded me where I first saw how to blur
you property. It was from _Tips from Kurt the Cyberguy_ on Fox news.

He shows you how. _How to hide your home from Google Maps_

http://video.latino.foxnews.com/v/2721901886001/how-to-hide-your-home-from-google-maps/

On the link you gave a commenter wrote: August 14, 2015 at 10:18 am

"I’ve been trying to get Google to un-blur my house for 3 years
without success after they blurred it instead of a car on my drive.
If anyone out there has found a way to get Google to un-blur, or find
out when they are next to visit an area I’d be grateful"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 6:29 PM, Oren wrote:

[...]

I found 2 interesting - and contradictory - things in that clip:

Interesting:

1 - Apparently you can blur out any house you want. It doesn't even
have to be yours.

2 - The banners at the bottom of the screen were more confrontational than
informative:

Taking Back What's Yours
Web Of Controversy
Fight Back!

Contradictory:

1 - Apparently you can blur out any house you want. It doesn't even
have to be yours.

2 - The banners at the bottom of the screen talk about Fighting Back and
Taking Back What's Yours, yet apparently I can F with anyone I want by
having Google blur out their house or business.

That's not "Fighting Back" or "Taking Back What's Yours". That's harassment
of other people.

Disclaimer: I am assuming that anyone can blur anyone's house. Maybe not. I do
know that I submitted a problem a few weeks ago and within hours the problem
was "fixed". There is a house in my neighborhood that had a business marker
and name next to it for some kind of eatery or deli or something like that.
The house is owned by a very nice elderly couple.

I reported it as being just a house and the business marker was gone within
hours. Afterwards I realized that for all I know, the owner was actually
running a business (or a tax scam) out the house. Regardless, I was apparently
able to have the marker removed from a business that I have nothing to do
with just by clicking a few buttons.

Now *that* is a Web Of Controversy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

there was a home in pittsburgh demolished by mistake. the owner was rehabbing the home at the time

the home they demolished featured a new roof, all new windows, new service entrance with new 200 amp breaker panel. the demo crew must of been idiots, and last i heard laswsuits were all occuring
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2016 01:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip
It sounds like it is possible that she wasn't actually living there and that
the damaged house appeared, for all intends and purposes, to be unoccupied.

Thanks for a very logical explanation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:03:31 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
there was a home in pittsburgh demolished by mistake. the owner was rehabbing the home at the time

the home they demolished featured a new roof, all new windows, new service entrance with new 200 amp breaker panel. the demo crew must of been idiots, and last i heard laswsuits were all occuring

A lot of cities are demolishing homes considered to be abandoned eyesores. There are times when city crews destroy the wrong house. How can they demolish the wrong house if it's obvious that it's not abandoned? o_O

[8~{} Uncle House Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 5:29:33 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

The big question I have about crews demolishing the wrong house is why would they destroy a house that had all the utilities hooked up, a running refrigerator full of food, rooms full of furniture, beds, TV, clothing in the closets and all manner of personal belongings? WTF? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 4:40:25 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 5:29:33 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
... they plan to make it right for both owners.

Short story: Don't trust Google Maps :-)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4820150598001/demolition-firm-sorry-for-wrecking-wrong-home/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/zjpqeqd

The big question I have about crews demolishing the wrong house is why would they destroy a house that had all the utilities hooked up, a running refrigerator full of food, rooms full of furniture, beds, TV, clothing in the closets and all manner of personal belongings? WTF? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

How do you know that all of those things were true? I don't see any of those items in the
debris field.

Another report said that the "wrong" house was tornado damaged and needed a wall
and roof trusses replaced. We don't know for a fact that the owner was living there
at the time.

Cousin Just-Sayin Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 4:18:11 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I do recall some news reports of the wrong home being demolished and it wasn't in disrepair or unoccupied. It was full of the homeowner's belongings. I haven't found the exact story, I'd have to search for a while to find it. O_o

http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-...ong-home-twice

[8~{} Uncle Demolished Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 01:40:20 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

The big question I have about crews demolishing the wrong house is why would they destroy a house that had all the utilities hooked up, a running refrigerator full of food, rooms full of furniture, beds, TV, clothing in the closets and all manner of personal belongings? WTF? o_O

The foreclosure next to me had 2 10 yard dumpsters full of crap in in
and the original owner was still local. People accumulate a lot of
stuff they will not move if they have to leave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The big question I have about crews demolishing the wrong house is why would they destroy a house that had all the utilities hooked up, a running refrigerator full of food, rooms full of furniture, beds, TV, clothing in the closets and all manner of personal belongings? WTF? o_O

The foreclosure next to me had 2 10 yard dumpsters full of crap in in
and the original owner was still local. People accumulate a lot of
stuff they will not move if they have to leave.

Yea, but would they move out and leave the utilities on and all their appliances behind? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dumpster Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The big question I have about crews demolishing the wrong house is why would they destroy a house that had all the utilities hooked up, a running refrigerator full of food, rooms full of furniture, beds, TV, clothing in the closets and all manner of personal belongings? WTF? o_O

The foreclosure next to me had 2 10 yard dumpsters full of crap in in
and the original owner was still local. People accumulate a lot of
stuff they will not move if they have to leave.

Yea, but would they move out and leave the utilities on and all their appliances behind? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dumpster Monster

This woman did. The power was still on when the home finally went over
to the bank and it sat there almost 4 years unoccupied while the
process went on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

wrote:

The big question I have about crews demolishing the wrong house is why would they destroy a house that had all the utilities hooked up, a running refrigerator full of food, rooms full of furniture, beds, TV, clothing in the closets and all manner of personal belongings? WTF? o_O

The foreclosure next to me had 2 10 yard dumpsters full of crap in in
and the original owner was still local. People accumulate a lot of
stuff they will not move if they have to leave.

Yea, but would they move out and leave the utilities on and all their appliances behind? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dumpster Monster

They may have wanted it to appear occupied. Don't know the whole story...

Stuff happens, the owner may come up smelling like a rose. The only thing
that cannot be recreated is personal effects; but did they get lost because
of the tornado or demo? Sorta like an old pair of shoes... They stink.

--
Tekkie