Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Weird!

Strange day! Yesterday (Friday) morning I went out to the car for
something. The license plate caught my eye. Wrong number. Checked
registration. Sure enough. Car hadn't been moved since early Wednesday
morning, Called sheriff. Deputy and I removed plate. He found one of the
screws on the ground under the bumper. So evidently the swap was done in
my driveway.

Deputy did check on plate. Went to registered address. Found that car had
replaced plate too - but not mine. Coincidentally, car was same make and
model as mine, but four years older. I printed out a 3-day permit to put
on back window so I can drive without plate and will go to DMV Monday
morning. Wonder what that will cost me?

What in the world is going on? Someone is going car to car changing
license plates? Dangerous too. Why? Causing lots of wasted time and worry
for car owners? Halloween moved to Good Friday?

I thought this might be interesting to some of you. Any theories?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2016 09:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Just a guess, but I suppose your plate will be used on a car that will
be involved in a robbery or possibly worse.

By swapping (rather than simply taking it) they hoped you would not notice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 9:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Some crook with a car similar to yours has committed or is planning on
committing a crime. Could be something as mundane as a drive off at a
gas station or. . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote in :

[...]

Obviously, I sincerely hope your guess is wrong. One more item in my long
list of things to worry about. Thank God I reported it to sheriff - I
hope in time if you are correct. But what about the replaced plate on the
car whose plate ended up on my car? That plate was evidently stolen too.
Another plate substituted for it too? That could go on for many cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2016 09:38 AM, KenK wrote:
philo wrote in :

Just a guess, but I suppose your plate will be used on a car that will
be involved in a robbery or possibly worse.

By swapping (rather than simply taking it) they hoped you would not
notice.

Obviously, I sincerely hope your guess is wrong. One more item in my long
list of things to worry about. Thank God I reported it to sheriff - I
hope in time if you are correct. But what about the replaced plate on the
car whose plate ended up on my car? That plate was evidently stolen too.
Another plate substituted for it too? That could go on for many cars.

Since you have reported it and have new plates on the way, there is no
need to worry about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Mar 2016 14:38:24 GMT, KenK wrote:

Obviously, I sincerely hope your guess is wrong. One more item in my long
list of things to worry about. Thank God I reported it to sheriff - I
hope in time if you are correct. But what about the replaced plate on the
car whose plate ended up on my car? That plate was evidently stolen too.
Another plate substituted for it too? That could go on for many cars.

Coyotaje smugglers trafficking in drugs and humans at the border.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 7:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Here (close to MX), plate theft is often used as a way of getting a stolen
car (of same make/model) across the border without raising too many flags:
"Yeah, it's a blue Lexus, let it through..."

Swapping yours for another's means you're less likely to notice that
your plate is MISSING (which would red-flag that plate for anyone
watching plates).

[I.e., plate from car that was stolen is placed on a similar vehicle
and that vehicle's plate placed on the stolen vehicle]

It can also be kids playing pranks (like swapping hubcaps).

I made a "display" license plate frame (lets me scroll messages
across the back plate) but don't leave it on the car as it is hard
to control WHO sees it and easy for someone "interested" in it to
simply follow the vehicle to its next unattended stop -- and pinch
it! (of course, they'd quickly realize that you need "another part"
to make it work (how do you get the messages IN there?) so would
end up discarding it -- a net loss to both of us!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:22:58 -0500, philo wrote:

Since you have reported it and have new plates on the way, there is no
need to worry about it.

DMV will cancel the plates when new are issued. I just turned in a
set because I'm selling my truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2016 10:40 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 3/26/2016 7:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

This is not likely to be a kid's prank...there was some research involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 7:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

the DNA of Hillary's computer server expert will end up in the trunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
philo wrote in :

[...]

One of the several cars with changed plates will be the perp. He will claim he
was a victim too, if caught. In the meanwhile, any camera caught tolls he incurs
will go to someone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 9:05 AM, philo wrote:
It can also be kids playing pranks (like swapping hubcaps).

This is not likely to be a kid's prank...there was some research involved.

You can't comment on likelihood. Unless the OP drives a really *unique*
vehicle, garages it in a secure facility, etc. that "research" can
simply involve carrying plate around until spotting another similar
vehicle in another accessible location.

[Computer hacking started out as a kid's prank -- long before it
became a profitable industry!]

Involving more than a pair of vehicles in the transaction just increases
the chance of it being detected BEFORE it can "bear fruit". Presumably,
until ALL of the plates have been placed, the real purpose can't be carried
out (why risk being caught putting a plate on a vehicle AFTER you've
performed the nefarious act?).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 9:15 AM, Bob F wrote:
KenK wrote:

Obviously, I sincerely hope your guess is wrong. One more item in my
long list of things to worry about. Thank God I reported it to
sheriff - I hope in time if you are correct. But what about the
replaced plate on the car whose plate ended up on my car? That plate
was evidently stolen too. Another plate substituted for it too? That
could go on for many cars.

One of the several cars with changed plates will be the perp. He will claim he
was a victim too, if caught. In the meanwhile, any camera caught tolls he incurs
will go to someone else.

IIRC, KenK is close to the border. It's not likely that it is "tolls"
that are being evaded. Rather, that getting the car across the border
is the issue.

[IANAL so unsure if you can talk your way out of a crime allegedly committed
with your credentials]

License plate readers are in place at the border to watch for *stolen*
vehicles. But, amusingly, they only intercept vehicles RE-entering the
country (moral of story: if you steal a car and bring it to MX, don't bring it
back into the country unless you use a non-stolen plate!)

A US plate can open the door to ENTRY into the US -- *if* it matches the
general description of the original vehicle to which it was issued.
(they're unlikely to verify the VIN)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 10:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Had a plate stolen for the up to date registration sticker, but never
swapped. In CT we no longer have the little stickers on the plate or
window emissions stickers. Too many plates were being stolen.

Few years back I was pulled over on the highway. Trooper said I had old
sticker, but radio check said I was up to date. No ticket, but told me
to take care of it. Turns out, I was driving like that for over a year.
New sticker came in the mail, but it was December and snowing so I put
it aside and forgot about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Good thing you noticed theft.

My wife had hers stolen and I think it cost her $5 because she wanted
her number back but otherwise insurance would pay for it. Probably
depends on your state.

Sometimes they steal them here to just get a newer registration tag.

We had a neighborhood kid steal a neighbors to use on his car as his
drunk driving convictions would not allow him to drive.

What happened to you could have been for a variety of reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Kudos to you for the keen eye.

Because of the involvement of another vehicle, also with the wrong plate
and not yours (a basic swap), I tend to believe prank. Otherwise, a
thief isn't concerned about multi-switching plates unless there's a
deeper elaborate scheme in the works and I can't see what that would be
unless, as stated, your vehicle is a rarity of sort.

Did the sheriff provide detail of the plate on the other car? That would
provide a better clue to the intent. If it were a simple switch, my
guess is someone trying to evade the law due to their unregistered or
stolen vehicle or license.

If the vehicle must remain in the open, I suggest tamper resistant
bolts/screws and nuts. Though, not impossible to remove, they won't fit
the common screwdrivers most thieves carry with them for easy removal.
Upon that realization, they usually move on to the next victim, unless
your car is that rare one they want, then they may return with proper
tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote in :

If the vehicle must remain in the open, I suggest tamper resistant
bolts/screws and nuts. Though, not impossible to remove, they won't fit
the common screwdrivers most thieves carry with them for easy removal.
Upon that realization, they usually move on to the next victim, unless
your car is that rare one they want, then they may return with proper
tools.

I have a set of bits and a handle for these types. So far I've only seen
them in telephone company connections.

I wonder where you can get these screws? I can't recall seeing them in
Lowes, Home Depot, Tru-Value, etc. though I've never specifically looked
for them there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Mar 2016 18:05:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Meanie wrote in :

If the vehicle must remain in the open, I suggest tamper resistant
bolts/screws and nuts. Though, not impossible to remove, they won't fit
the common screwdrivers most thieves carry with them for easy removal.
Upon that realization, they usually move on to the next victim, unless
your car is that rare one they want, then they may return with proper
tools.

I have a set of bits and a handle for these types. So far I've only seen
them in telephone company connections.

I wonder where you can get these screws? I can't recall seeing them in
Lowes, Home Depot, Tru-Value, etc. though I've never specifically looked
for them there.

See tamper proof fasteners: Also has "UN-DO-IT" REMOVAL TOOLS", page
bottom.

http://www.tamperproof.com/categories/one-way-slotted.html

Helped the neighbor install a metal security door the other day. ~ 4"
one way screws to fasten the frame to the brick molding. A special
bit came with the door to drive them in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 11:17:00 -0700, Oren wrote:

I wonder where you can get these screws? I can't recall seeing them in
Lowes, Home Depot, Tru-Value, etc. though I've never specifically looked
for them there.

See tamper proof fasteners: Also has "UN-DO-IT" REMOVAL TOOLS", page
bottom.

Oh, PDF catalog if anyone is interested.

http://www.tamperproof.com/pdf/Tamperproof_cat.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

I thought this might be interesting to some of you. Any theories?

Maybe someone with a bench warrant needing to drive to work. With the
tag readers now days the cops can ID the cars as they drive past or
drive through parking lots and check the cars When they get a hit on a
tag, someone's got some splain'en to do. Tag readers are used by law
enforcement for other purposes also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...te_recognition
even better, Forget license plate readers on police cars, how about on
garbage trucks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9EHNqRM-Eg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote in :

[...]

Those are pretty good screws. You'll notice that type in many bathroom
stall panels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Right after I bought my Jeep, I went to Autozone and purchased a set of tamper resistant tag screws. It will definitely discourage a thief because of the time it would take to screw(no pun) around removing the tag. ^_^

http://www.autozone.com/screws-pins-...it/875920_0_0/

http://tinyurl.com/zxlm2ug

http://www.licenseplatesecurity.com/index.html

When me and my brother had people block our driveway at the shop, we would cover the licence plate with duct tape. Some people will damage a parked nuisance car but that's illegal. I told one of my cop friends about what we'd do to cars blocking our drive and he cracked up saying as far as he knew it wasn't illegal because we didn't damage the vehicle. If my cop friend ever pulled anyone over with a tag obscured with duct tape, he'd laugh and ask the driver if he'd blocked any driveways lately? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tag Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2016 07:02 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Had a neighbor a few years ago with a similar event, can't remember how
he noticed but it probably failed the eye test as did yours.

When he called the police they came out right away. They told him it
was good that he didn't waste any time because the new plate on his car
was from a stolen car, and he would have been treated to a felony stop
had he been stopped while driving.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

See tamper proof fasteners: Also has "UN-DO-IT" REMOVAL TOOLS", page
bottom.

http://www.tamperproof.com/categories/one-way-slotted.html

Helped the neighbor install a metal security door the other day. ~ 4"
one way screws to fasten the frame to the brick molding. A special
bit came with the door to drive them in.

Those are pretty good screws. You'll notice that type in many bathroom
stall panels.

Prisons too

I'll take your word on that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 11:17:00 -0700, Oren wrote:

I wonder where you can get these screws? I can't recall seeing them in
Lowes, Home Depot, Tru-Value, etc. though I've never specifically looked
for them there.

See tamper proof fasteners: Also has "UN-DO-IT" REMOVAL TOOLS", page
bottom.

Oh, PDF catalog if anyone is interested.

http://www.tamperproof.com/pdf/Tamperproof_cat.pdf

Thanks Oren. Those one way screws make me feel secure while using a public
terlet.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in news:XnsA5D770CD7588Cinvalidcom@
130.133.4.11:

I have a set of bits and a handle for these types. So far I've only seen
them in telephone company connections.

I wonder where you can get these screws? I can't recall seeing them in
Lowes, Home Depot, Tru-Value, etc. though I've never specifically looked
for them there.

Found tamper-proof license plate bolts at O'Reilly Auto Parts. $5 for two.
Cost me that much and a couple of hours for replacement plate at DMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2016 12:17 PM, KenK wrote:

Found tamper-proof license plate bolts at O'Reilly Auto Parts. $5 for two.
Cost me that much and a couple of hours for replacement plate at DMV.

And any crook can get the remover from O'Reilly
Auto parts for five bucks?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 3/29/2016 12:17 PM, KenK wrote:

Found tamper-proof license plate bolts at O'Reilly Auto Parts. $5 for
two. Cost me that much and a couple of hours for replacement plate at
DMV.

And any crook can get the remover from O'Reilly
Auto parts for five bucks?

Rashly assuming this is a serious question...

True. It's also in the security tool assortment kit I bought many years
ago. But O'Reilly had several types so he'd have to buy them all.

I suspect this is a problem with any tamper-proof hardware you buy.

And I suspect most license-plate stealers figure one each of regular
screw drivers will usually work And they are likely right. It worked for
the one who stole my plate.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Mar 2016 18:24:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

And any crook can get the remover from O'Reilly
Auto parts for five bucks?

Rashly assuming this is a serious question...

True. It's also in the security tool assortment kit I bought many years
ago. But O'Reilly had several types so he'd have to buy them all.

I suspect this is a problem with any tamper-proof hardware you buy.

And I suspect most license-plate stealers figure one each of regular
screw drivers will usually work And they are likely right. It worked for
the one who stole my plate.

Good luck easily removing the shear off (nut bolt). The nut shears
off when torque is a certain ft. lb..

Bring some extra tools https://tinyurl.com/zzkonv7

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 9:18:52 AM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
On 3/26/2016 9:05 AM, philo wrote:
It can also be kids playing pranks (like swapping hubcaps).

This is not likely to be a kid's prank...there was some research involved.

You can't comment on likelihood. Unless the OP drives a really *unique*
vehicle, garages it in a secure facility, etc. that "research" can
simply involve carrying plate around until spotting another similar
vehicle in another accessible location.

[Computer hacking started out as a kid's prank -- long before it
became a profitable industry!]

Involving more than a pair of vehicles in the transaction just increases
the chance of it being detected BEFORE it can "bear fruit". Presumably,
until ALL of the plates have been placed, the real purpose can't be carried
out (why risk being caught putting a plate on a vehicle AFTER you've
performed the nefarious act?).

Might be a way to keep from paying license fees every year. Danger being that an owner will spot the change or get stopped, then the stolen plate winds up on the hot sheet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Put a screw extractor bit in your cordless and it will spin out
anything they put in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2016 11:58 AM, Harry K wrote:

Involving more than a pair of vehicles in the transaction just increases
the chance of it being detected BEFORE it can "bear fruit". Presumably,
until ALL of the plates have been placed, the real purpose can't be
carried out (why risk being caught putting a plate on a vehicle AFTER
you've performed the nefarious act?).

Might be a way to keep from paying license fees every year. Danger being
that an owner will spot the change or get stopped, then the stolen plate
winds up on the hot sheet.

Would have to be "performed" yearly. Here, the "registration tag" also
bears the plate number. So, you'd have to find a plate that has been
"recently (re)registered".

And, hope that your victim doesn't notice that his plate "looks different"
when he next affixes *his* registration sticker!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2016 2:24 PM, KenK wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 3/29/2016 12:17 PM, KenK wrote:

Found tamper-proof license plate bolts at O'Reilly Auto Parts. $5 for
two. Cost me that much and a couple of hours for replacement plate at
DMV.

And any crook can get the remover from O'Reilly
Auto parts for five bucks?

Rashly assuming this is a serious question...

True. It's also in the security tool assortment kit I bought many years
ago. But O'Reilly had sev[Oh, didn't realize they had more than one type. Clever of O'Reilly.]eral types so he'd have to buy them all.

I suspect this is a problem with any tamper-proof hardware you buy.

And I suspect most license-plate stealers figure one each of regular
screw drivers will usually work And they are likely right. It worked for
the one who stole my plate.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Center posted, as your reply was.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:33:54 -0400, wrote:

Put a screw extractor bit in your cordless and it will spin out
anything they put in there.

Tin snips will cut around the tamper proof fastener on a car tag in
short order :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 16:12:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Are you excited and it turns you on?

Center posted, as your reply was.

Looks like you munged your sig delimiter again in your reply.

Weird. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 9 December 13th 14 06:28 PM
Weird job... The Medway Handyman UK diy 43 May 20th 14 09:43 PM
OT; Weird The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 January 31st 12 02:52 PM
Weird The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 2 June 13th 06 08:23 AM
uk.d-i-y gone weird N. Thornton UK diy 6 January 7th 05 03:36 PM