Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two-Stroke Engine Fuel Ratios

I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 8:57:33 AM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:
I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

It must have to do with design tolerance or materials used...unless you have an old 2-cycle where the oil additives were not as good as today. If you only have those 2 mixes...go with the 40:1 on both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 9:57 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools

that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it
in the design of a two-stroke engine that
requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression
ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good
explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and
the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

When I took a small engine course years ago, I asked
the same question. The teacher said the engines are
not at all fussy. As for me, I run 32:1 in everything.
Figure I'd rather run rich than lean. Lawnboy likes
to use the special non smoking oil or some such thing.
I've not tried a Lawnboy engine for anything, not sure
it's needed there either.

I suspect the difference in ratio is based on the
machining and manufacturing -- hard versus soft
steel for example.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 11:10:59 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

IDK either, but I think there is a trend over time, no?
That new engines use less oil? Are there still new engines
that use 32:1?, etc. Less would be better to reduce emissions.
And the new oils are better, synthetic, so less can be used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 11:34 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 11:10:59 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I suspect the difference in ratio is based on the
machining and manufacturing -- hard versus soft
steel for example.

IDK either, but I think there is a trend over time, no?
That new engines use less oil? Are there still new engines
that use 32:1?, etc. Less would be better to reduce emissions.
And the new oils are better, synthetic, so less can be used.

I've heard some of the new synthetic oils run
100:1, but not sure I'd trust that lean a mix.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 11:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

My two cycle Lawnboys were finicky about using oil other than theirs so
that is all I used.

I'd use their stuff and ratio in chain saw and week wacker without problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 06:57:28 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

The saw is likely older, and works harder. The "older" relates to the
oils available at the time of manufacture. I'd likely use 50:1 oil
mixed at 45:1 for both as a matter of expediency.

Don't use oil designed for 40:1 at 50:1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 12:40:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/26/2016 11:34 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 11:10:59 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I suspect the difference in ratio is based on the
machining and manufacturing -- hard versus soft
steel for example.

IDK either, but I think there is a trend over time, no?
That new engines use less oil? Are there still new engines
that use 32:1?, etc. Less would be better to reduce emissions.
And the new oils are better, synthetic, so less can be used.

I've heard some of the new synthetic oils run
100:1, but not sure I'd trust that lean a mix.

Several of the 100:1 synthetics have been "recalled/relabelled: with
cautions not to use beyond 50:1, apparently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

If they are from the same time era, can't you spit the difference?
45:1 or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

If they are from the same time era, can't you spit the difference?
45:1 or not.

He could but 40:1 in both would be safer, obviously. 45:1 wouldn't be recommended for either...and less *safe* for the 50:1.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/16 12:54 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Echo says the mix oil used in their 2 cycle engines has to meet JASO FD,
ISO-L-EGD specs or the warranty is void. Their (pretty expensive) brand
of oil does-- but so do some generics and other less expensive brands.

--
“Let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.”
- Jesus (Luke 22:36)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 6:31 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/26/16 12:54 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Don't recall what I was using but shop told me that it was reason I was
having problems that I brought to them. I did not want to inventory
different mixes so used the same in all. I had two Lawnboys, neither of
which would start one spring so I traded them both in for a 4 cycle Honda.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 18:31:38 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

“Let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.”
- Jesus (Luke 22:36)

AMEN

Arm yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

If they are from the same time era, can't you spit the difference?
45:1 or not.

He could but 40:1 in both would be safer, obviously. 45:1 wouldn't be recommended for either...and less *safe* for the 50:1.

Actually safer for the 50:1. More oil than spec.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/16 12:54 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Echo also states in their manual:

Echo premium Power Blend X TM Universal 2-Stroke Oil may be mixed at
50:1 ratio for application in all Echo engines sold in the past
regardless of ratio specified in those manuals.

Small engine shop I use said that if I use the pre-mixed fuel (no
alcohol) I can use the 50:1 mix across the board and all will be well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few two-stroke lawn equipment tools that use different gas/oil ratios. What is it in the design of a two-stroke engine that requires a certain ratio? Is it the compression ratio? I googled around but couldn't find a good explanation on why the weed whip needs 50-1 and the chain saw needs 40-1.

Paul

If they are from the same time era, can't you spit the difference?
45:1 or not.

He could but 40:1 in both would be safer, obviously. 45:1 wouldn't be recommended for either...and less *safe* for the 50:1.

Actually safer for the 50:1. More oil than spec.

....good to have you here to correct the feeble minded!