Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet Tape

I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Naptha from your local hardware store
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 07:17:26 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Goop or Gojo hand cleaner, or similar......
Work it in well. It wont harm the carpeting, but you'll need to clean it
off after with some soap and water.

(I'd use the non-abrasive type).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

I'd think about dry ice (faster freeze) or a steam vac rented locally?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/16 7:50 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

Paul

Besides your wife, who cares if there's little goo on the BOTTOM of a
carpet;-)

--
If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him,
is he still wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided
tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided
tape.

Why even "tape" down a "small" rug down in the first place, for cripes
sake?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided
tape.

Why even "tape" down a "small" rug down in the first place, for cripes
sake?

I'll take a shot at that one...

Because rugs that are on top of rugs "walk" every time you step on them.

Since it was fireproof rug in front of fireplace, he wanted to ensure that it stayed
in place without constant manual repositioning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

More tape. Use the stickiest tape you can find to repeatedly dab at the
remaining tape goo. It should pick up a little at a time. This works for me on
hard surfaces. It might work on carpet. Patience is required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 7:50:56 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

Paul

When I gotten Christmas Tree sap or other sticky stuff on a carpet, I've
used Goo-Gone and a fork. After letting the Goo-Gone work for a little
while, you can *gently* use the fork (or any other pointy tool) to
separate the carpet strains so that the Goo-Gone can work its way
all around the fibers.

A fork also works to lift the strains that get crushed by furniture.

What brand of carpet tape? J. Clarke Woodworking 20 August 23rd 10 03:10 AM
"Carpet tape" TinWoodsmn Woodworking 2 September 23rd 08 03:29 AM
Carpet tape James Keevil Woodworking 6 February 17th 07 10:30 PM
SONY Dual Cassette Tape Deck would not Eject Tape AVFan Electronics Repair 2 October 26th 06 03:18 PM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM