DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Carpet Tape (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/392489-carpet-tape.html)

Pavel314[_2_] March 23rd 16 11:50 AM

Carpet Tape

I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

Paul

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 23rd 16 12:17 PM

Carpet Tape

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

--
Snag

[email protected] March 23rd 16 05:57 PM

Carpet Tape

Naptha from your local hardware store

[email protected] March 23rd 16 08:33 PM

Carpet Tape

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 07:17:26 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Goop or Gojo hand cleaner, or similar......
Work it in well. It wont harm the carpeting, but you'll need to clean it
off after with some soap and water.

(I'd use the non-abrasive type).

Oren[_2_] March 23rd 16 10:00 PM

Carpet Tape

wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

I'd think about dry ice (faster freeze) or a steam vac rented locally?

Wade Garrett March 23rd 16 10:22 PM

Carpet Tape

On 3/23/16 7:50 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

Paul

Besides your wife, who cares if there's little goo on the BOTTOM of a
carpet;-)

--
If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him,
is he still wrong?

TomR[_5_] March 24th 16 01:32 AM

Carpet Tape

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided
tape.

Oren[_2_] March 24th 16 03:42 AM

Carpet Tape

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:33:01 -0500, wrote:

Goop or Gojo hand cleaner, or similar......
Work it in well. It wont harm the carpeting, but you'll need to clean it
off after with some soap and water.

(I'd use the non-abrasive type).

Experience with your goats. Eh?

Oren[_2_] March 24th 16 03:45 AM

Carpet Tape

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided
tape.

Why even "tape" down a "small" rug down in the first place, for cripes
sake?

DerbyDad03 March 24th 16 11:18 AM

Carpet Tape

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

Paul

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that
softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet .
Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided
tape.

Why even "tape" down a "small" rug down in the first place, for cripes
sake?

I'll take a shot at that one...

Because rugs that are on top of rugs "walk" every time you step on them.

Since it was fireproof rug in front of fireplace, he wanted to ensure that it stayed
in place without constant manual repositioning.

Bob F March 24th 16 12:58 PM

Carpet Tape

Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front
of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the
other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly
attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen
the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and
water?

More tape. Use the stickiest tape you can find to repeatedly dab at the
remaining tape goo. It should pick up a little at a time. This works for me on
hard surfaces. It might work on carpet. Patience is required.

DerbyDad03 March 24th 16 01:44 PM

Carpet Tape

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 7:50:56 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without damaging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

Paul

When I gotten Christmas Tree sap or other sticky stuff on a carpet, I've
used Goo-Gone and a fork. After letting the Goo-Gone work for a little
while, you can *gently* use the fork (or any other pointy tool) to
separate the carpet strains so that the Goo-Gone can work its way
all around the fibers.

A fork also works to lift the strains that get crushed by furniture.

Tekkie® March 24th 16 06:50 PM

Carpet Tape

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:33:01 -0500, wrote:

Goop or Gojo hand cleaner, or similar......
Work it in well. It wont harm the carpeting, but you'll need to clean it
off after with some soap and water.

(I'd use the non-abrasive type).

Experience with your goats. Eh?

The tongue tickles and then she moans and the relatives come and watch.

--
Tekkie