Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compression Release: Chainsaw Engine; Where ?

Hello,

Can't seem to post to my previous question re the starting of an older
Poulan chain saw.
So, will try here.

Where is this "compression release" that was mentioned to check usually
found on the engine ?

What does it look like ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Can't seem to post to my previous question re the starting of an older
Poulan chain saw.
So, will try here.

Where is this "compression release" that was mentioned to check
usually found on the engine ?

What does it look like ?

Thanks,
B.

Poulan doesn't use them AFAIK - at least my 18" Wild Thing saw doesn't . Did
you pull the spark plug ? Did it turn over easier ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 6:58 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Can't seem to post to my previous question re the starting of an older
Poulan chain saw.
So, will try here.

Where is this "compression release" that was mentioned to check usually
found on the engine ?

What does it look like ?

Thanks,
B.

On four cycle engines, it's inside the engine, and
you need to take the motor apart to get at it. Not
sure about chain saws.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 3:58:39 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Can't seem to post to my previous question re the starting of an older
Poulan chain saw.
So, will try here.

Where is this "compression release" that was mentioned to check usually
found on the engine ?

What does it look like ?

Thanks,
B.

Your Poulan won't have one. Almost aLL 'Big Box store chainsaws do not, they are too small to need one.

On a saw that has one it is a button to be pushed right on top of the motor housing.

I had a saw taht was exhibiting the same thing, one time pull fine, then so hard I sometimes couldn't pull it through. Turned out to be in the starter, the cord would get stuck between the housing and rotor.

Harry K