Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can opener

20 years ago? More?

The can lids, the top seams, lost most of their metal years ago. Ever since it's been difficult to remove the tops. The can opener can't get a good grip. It's a game to make it all the way around a top of the can! I hardly ever do it.

I see a lot of veg cans are now peel back.

Does anyone know of a decent can opener (non electric - not GI) that really works?

I haven't been able to find them. (Three in drawer - all suck)

LOL I just remembered those old peanut cans with the key. We used to stretch out the cut metal and hang them on the Christmas tree! Sharp as hell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i've been using one of these, for years

Swing-A-Way 407BK Portable Can Opener

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o03_s00

[$10 or less]

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 13:10:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone know of a decent can opener (non electric - not GI) that really works?

Smooth edge can opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 17:38:51 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

SWMBO giggles each time she uses this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooking-with-Calphalon-Can-Opener/27416474

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 3:34:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
i've been using one of these, for years

Swing-A-Way 407BK Portable Can Opener

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o03_s00

[$10 or less]

marc

That's the design I've always used. I have one just like the one from Amazon at home and it's never failed to open any sized can. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Can Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 4:10 PM, wrote:
20 years ago? More?

The can lids, the top seams, lost most of their metal years ago.
Ever since it's been difficult to remove the tops. The can opener
can't get a good grip. It's a game to make it all the way around a
top of the can! I hardly ever do it.

I see a lot of veg cans are now peel back.

Does anyone know of a decent can opener (non electric - not GI) that
really works?

I haven't been able to find them. (Three in drawer - all suck)

LOL I just remembered those old peanut cans with the key. We used to
stretch out the cut metal and hang them on the Christmas tree! Sharp
as hell.

Don't know what you have against electric can openers. Unless you're
writing from outside your house, you most likely have electricity where
you do your cooking/eating. If you're willing to reconsider, I like the
Hamilton Beach 76606ZA. After years of struggling as you do with
traditional style can openers, we got this one about 4 months ago.
We've had 100% success at fully opening on first attempt every can we've
tried, including the ones that were the most problematic with the old
can openers. If you need to drain the contents, it takes a little
practice, but you can slip back an edge of the open top about 1/16",
push it down slightly into the can, and tip. Once you get used to it,
you can drain liquids out of the can as effectively as pushing in a
partially removed top using a traditional can opener. If you're opening
cans while hiking/camping, etc. I've always had excellent luck with the
can opener blade on a swiss army knife.

sharp can opener J Burns Home Repair 34 August 19th 15 01:32 PM
ZEP drain opener Stan Brown Home Ownership 1 October 13th 10 01:35 PM
a can opener that opens from the side? mm Home Repair 17 December 13th 08 09:23 PM
Opener for paul g.a.miller Home Repair 0 January 15th 06 08:10 AM
Door opener Don Home Repair 3 November 24th 05 04:49 AM