Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen faucet leaks from base part II

I had my kitchen cabinetry and sink redone years ago and had a stainless steel sink put in. The opening where the faucet unit was quite large, they installed the one they had for it anyways. So, now whenever the water is turned on high it leaks around the base and drips underneath to the plywood cabinet it's mounted on. I have new wood to replace all the damage, but don't want to put it in till the leak is fixed. Some say chalking, some say plumber's putty? Does anybody have any recommendations? Thank you.

Very limited budget, replacing the faucet unit is not an option right now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2016 09:49 PM, Carl Lorenz wrote:
I had my kitchen cabinetry and sink redone years ago and had a stainless steel sink put in. The opening where the faucet unit was quite large, they installed the one they had for it anyways. So, now whenever the water is turned on high it leaks around the base and drips underneath to the plywood cabinet it's mounted on. I have new wood to replace all the damage, but don't want to put it in till the leak is fixed. Some say chalking, some say plumber's putty? Does anybody have any recommendations? Thank you.

Very limited budget, replacing the faucet unit is not an option right now.

Plumber's putty is generally used, but some sinks require a non-water
based silicon.

The installed obviously did not do it right, did they even use a rubber
washer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 19:49:58 -0800 (PST), Carl Lorenz
wrote:

whenever the water is turned on high it leaks around the base and drips unde

Before you do anything, you need to determine where the water is
leaking.

It's likely by the spout swivel, which means a new O-ring. Or the handle
is leaking, or the connection for the sprayer (if you have one).

After you find and fix the leak, some silicone caulk would probably work
well. Plumbers putty is what's bormally used, but there should be some
sort of gasket under the faucet base too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 7:56:58 PM UTC-8, philo wrote:
On 03/06/2016 09:49 PM, Carl Lorenz wrote:
I had my kitchen cabinetry and sink redone years ago and had a stainless steel sink put in. The opening where the faucet unit was quite large, they installed the one they had for it anyways. So, now whenever the water is turned on high it leaks around the base and drips underneath to the plywood cabinet it's mounted on. I have new wood to replace all the damage, but don't want to put it in till the leak is fixed. Some say chalking, some say plumber's putty? Does anybody have any recommendations? Thank you.

Very limited budget, replacing the faucet unit is not an option right now.

Plumber's putty is generally used, but some sinks require a non-water
based silicon.

The installed obviously did not do it right, did they even use a rubber
washer?

Not sure on that answer. Thank you for your input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

whenever the water is turned on high it leaks around the base and drips unde

Before you do anything, you need to determine where the water is
leaking.

It's likely by the spout swivel, which means a new O-ring. Or the handle
is leaking, or the connection for the sprayer (if you have one).

After you find and fix the leak, some silicone caulk would probably work
well. Plumbers putty is what's normally used, but there should be some
sort of gasket under the faucet base too.

Thank you for your suggestions!