Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen faucet leaks from base

Leaks more right after faucet is turned on, but a little all the time.

I am not handy enough to remove faucet from underneath (to change
gasket IF that is the problem). Right now, can't afford to call a
plumber or replace the faucet. (On the latter, I am waiting to
replace a lot of chipped tile and get the whole counter regrouted so I
can have a wall-mounted faucet put in.)

After recaulking recently around the sink area, I note that the
water from leaky faucet softens and practically dissolves the caulk
behind the faucet. So much for thinking I could caulk around the
base. The "plumbing" guy at OSH heard my story and recommended
plumbers putty.

Does NG think plumbers putty would hold the line until I can afford a
permanent solution?

Or is there some kind of gasket I can form around the base of the
faucet that would keep the water in?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 6, 2:39*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Your situation is hopeless, no gasket/putty will keep water in the
pipes. Letting the leak continue could mess up your tile substrate and
cost a lot more $$. So just do the smart thing, shut off the water and
disconnect the supply lines, drain, and pull the sink out complete
with faucet. Replace faucet and reinstall. Now you'll be ready for the
next phase of your project without a self induced disaster to cope
with.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in news:fac6876b-049b-427c-a3f4-
:

[...]

What kind of faucet?! There are hundreds. Where is it leaking? Where the
base meets the countertop?

Basic econo faucets:

http://images.lowes.com/product/034449/034449595834.jpg
http://images.lowes.com/product/034449/034449595773.jpg

It does not sound like plumbers putty is the solution. That is only used
to mount drains through the sink hole. Putty will just trap water and
direct it someplace else causing damage to the counter and/or wall and/or
sink base.

If you could take a pic of it and post I'm sure someone can give you some
direction. Whether you are willing or capable of an attempted repair is
another story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:47*am, Red Green wrote:
[...]

This one looks exactly like mine, so I don't need to take/post pic.

The leak is from the base of the faucet itself, not from what sits on
the sink.

It does not sound like plumbers putty is the solution. That is only used
to mount drains through the sink hole. Putty will just trap water and
direct it someplace else causing damage to the counter and/or wall and/or
sink base.

If you could take a pic of it and post I'm sure someone can give you some
direction. Whether you are willing or capable of an attempted repair is
another story.

You furnished a perfect pic!

Other poster said forget it; install new faucet, and I am tending in
that
direction (but don't think I would need to pull out sink). HOWEVER I
don't want
a new faucet that sits on the sink like this one. I really want a
wall-mounted,
but need to ask NG whether I have enough height.

It is 6" from sink surface to top of tile backsplash. I assume a
plumber
would be able to drill into the tile backsplash without wrecking it,
but is 6" enough for "wall mount"?

Also, IMPORTANT, would the extra plumbing to bring the
water lines up to back mount be very expensive? IOW, could
the plumber just add a few inches onto the existing pipes, or...?

Last, does the NG have experience/opinions on one-handle
vs. separate handles? At present I have the one-handle
that swings both ways g but aesthetically I prefer two handles.

(a) Do I have to pay for more two faucets? (b) Would that kind
of faucet wear better, or is there no dif. (c) I can't afford a
luxury
item like most of the wall-mounteds that I see on-line. Anybody
got a recommendation for a mid-level, sturdy wall-mount faucet?
(Assuming it can fit on a 6" rise from sink surface.)

Many thanks in advance for help on these issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

[...]

The swing O-rings are probably bad where the faucet pivots

Leaks more right after faucet is turned on, but a little all the
time.

The shutoff in the handle has bad washer(s)/cartridge or whatever is used
in your particular one.

At this point just replace it as suggested. You can get a cheapo for $35-
50 like a price Pfister, Peerless, Glaciar Bay.

You said you are not handy enough to replace the faucet nor can afford to
have a plumber do it. Unless you have a handy friend what are we suppose
to tell you?

It's possible, IF you can get just a new cartridge, it may include O-
rings to solve both your issues. You're gonna have to figure out how to
get your particular one apart. That will probably be done from above the
sink. If you look at this diagram you'll see a [set]screw starts the
disassembly. This is only the general idea, not your particular unit.

http://parts.bdhhi.com/PDF%5CPROseries-1.pdf

Also, IMPORTANT, would the extra plumbing to bring the
water lines up to back mount be very expensive?

If you consider the cost of a new econo faucet too expensive then
relatively, the plumber will be expensive.

IOW, could
the plumber just add a few inches onto the existing pipes, or...?

I'd GUESS he's gonna tap in someplace and add on. Whether or not he can
use plastic and fish it to the tap will depend on your particular setup
and desires. And for being in a $ squeeze, why are you looking at wall
mount versions? Now you're talking expensive fixture + a more involved
install.