Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Kitchen faucet leaks from base

Higgs Boson wrote in news:fac6876b-049b-427c-a3f4-
:

Leaks more right after faucet is turned on, but a little all the time.

I am not handy enough to remove faucet from underneath (to change
gasket IF that is the problem). Right now, can't afford to call a
plumber or replace the faucet. (On the latter, I am waiting to
replace a lot of chipped tile and get the whole counter regrouted so I
can have a wall-mounted faucet put in.)

After recaulking recently around the sink area, I note that the
water from leaky faucet softens and practically dissolves the caulk
behind the faucet. So much for thinking I could caulk around the
base. The "plumbing" guy at OSH heard my story and recommended
plumbers putty.

Does NG think plumbers putty would hold the line until I can afford a
permanent solution?

Or is there some kind of gasket I can form around the base of the
faucet that would keep the water in?

TIA

What kind of faucet?! There are hundreds. Where is it leaking? Where the
base meets the countertop?

Basic econo faucets:

http://images.lowes.com/product/034449/034449595834.jpg
http://images.lowes.com/product/034449/034449595773.jpg

It does not sound like plumbers putty is the solution. That is only used
to mount drains through the sink hole. Putty will just trap water and
direct it someplace else causing damage to the counter and/or wall and/or
sink base.

If you could take a pic of it and post I'm sure someone can give you some
direction. Whether you are willing or capable of an attempted repair is
another story.