Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Untaped drywall corners

We just stripped off the wallpaper in one of our rooms and found that
the corners of the sheetrock are not taped and mudded: the only thing
covering the very small gaps was the wallpaper.

Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those
gaps first?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 20:32:03 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

We just stripped off the wallpaper in one of our rooms and found that
the corners of the sheetrock are not taped and mudded: the only thing
covering the very small gaps was the wallpaper.

Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those
gaps first?

Perce

No and yes. Use acrylic latex paintable caulk in the cracks for
flexibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We just stripped off the wallpaper in one of our rooms and found that
the corners of the sheetrock are not taped and mudded: the only thing
covering the very small gaps was the wallpaper.

Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those
gaps first?

Perce

Are you planning to wallpaper again? If it was me, I'd do it right. If
you just wallpaper over it and one day someone bumps it and tears the
paper, it'll be a fun job trying to repair. I'd go to the local hardware
store and purchase some $1 plastic cornerbeads or pay a bit more and use
metal. Either way, I'd repair it properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We just stripped off the wallpaper in one of our rooms and found that the
corners of the sheetrock are not taped and mudded: the only thing covering the
very small gaps was the wallpaper.

These are "inner" corners, right?

Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those gaps first?

It will *cover* them but a precocious kid's fingernails will easily slice
through it!

Get some spackle/mud and a corner knife -- make a game of it BEFORE
you hide your blemishes with the paper:

http://www.sunrentalcenter.biz/itemimages/3369.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We just stripped off the wallpaper in one of our rooms and found that
the corners of the sheetrock are not taped and mudded: the only thing
covering the very small gaps was the wallpaper.

Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those
gaps first?

Perce

I'd be mudding and taping. A heavy wallpaper might cover it - but it
might not.

Sponge finish on the mud will be adequate - you won't need to super
fine-finish it. However, I would also prime the whole wall with an oil
or shelac based primer before re-papering to be sure when you want to
repait this paper it will come off without lifting the mud or damaging
the paper face of the drywall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those
| gaps first?

It probably doesn't matter if you're going to
repaper. If the old wallpaper didn't split then
there's probably not movement there. I'm wondering
how you got the wallpaper off. Is it plaster over
the drywall? If you were painting it would be good
to use mesh tape and compound, or at least a
good caulking, like phenoseal. But if you're going
to paper it shouldn't matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/05/2016 10:33 PM, Mayayana wrote:

| Will the new wallpaper be sufficient, or should we try to seal those
| gaps first?

It probably doesn't matter if you're going to
repaper. If the old wallpaper didn't split then
there's probably not movement there. I'm wondering
how you got the wallpaper off. Is it plaster over
the drywall? If you were painting it would be good
to use mesh tape and compound, or at least a
good caulking, like phenoseal. But if you're going
to paper it shouldn't matter.

Just painted/primed/sealed (whatever) drywall. I think this small room
might have been constructed subsequent to the original construction of
the house.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Just painted/primed/sealed (whatever) drywall. I think this small room
| might have been constructed subsequent to the original construction of
| the house.

Interesting. You're lucky that you got the
paper off. With normal wallpaper paste it
usually takes part of the drywall paper with
it when it comes off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 08:27:02 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Just painted/primed/sealed (whatever) drywall. I think this small room
| might have been constructed subsequent to the original construction of
| the house.

Interesting. You're lucky that you got the
paper off. With normal wallpaper paste it
usually takes part of the drywall paper with
it when it comes off.

He DID say "painted/primed/sealed" drywall. Paper on unsealed drywall
is virtually impossible to remove without doing damage, while removing
poper from sealed drywall is relatively simple (at least in
comparisson)