Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Uses for 4 rolls of old-style thermo fax machine paper

My wife doesn't use her fax machine any more, and we have 4 brand-new rolls of thermal fax paper to figure out what to do with. I hate to just throw it out in the recycle bin. Anyone have any polite ideas what I can do with it??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 19:51:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My wife doesn't use her fax machine any more, and we have 4 brand-new rolls of thermal fax paper to figure out what to do with. I hate to just throw it out in the recycle bin. Anyone have any polite ideas what I can do with it??

Many cities have a Freecycle "chapter". It means signing up for an
email list and writing up an ad. But it's an ongoing way to give
away stuff and get stuff. I even got a whole electric lawn mower
once. Many people leave what they're giving on the porch or even the
hall of an apartment building so the person getting it can stop by any
time. Office supplies including fax paper is the sort of thing I
often see.
https://www.freecycle.org/

5,280 groups with 9,197,437 members around the world.
Baltimore has more than one, based on where one lives. On a couple
occasions I've tried to borrow things, but one of the editors won't
let me do that (even though it fulfills most of the goals of the
organization). The other times, the ad got posted. I borrowed a
metal detector, something I knew I would only use once.

For that matter Craig's list has a section for things given away free.
Normally I'd say Goodwill Industries, but I think fax paper would sit
there for a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 8:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
“BPA has been proven to cause reproductive defects in fetuses,
infants, children, and adults as well as cancer, metabolic, and immune
problems in rodents,” said study author Frederick vom Saal, a professor
of biology at the University of Missouri.

The wording might have been a bit more clear.

I've not known of many fetus or infants to
reproduce.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 7:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/1/2016 11:01 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 3/1/2016 9:51 PM, wrote:

My wife doesn't use her fax machine any more, and we have 4 brand-new
rolls of thermal fax paper to figure out what to do with. I hate to
just throw it out in the recycle bin. Anyone have any polite ideas
what I can do with it??

Shred it, and use it as bedding for a red wiggler worm compost bin.
Compost all of your veggie stuff in it and then use the compost in your
garden or flower pots this spring.

Thermal paper is coated with BPA. I don't want that in my garden
compost, but you can make your own choice what to eat.

“BPA has been proven to cause reproductive defects in fetuses, infants,
children, and adults as well as cancer, metabolic, and immune problems
in rodents,” said study author Frederick vom Saal, a professor of
biology at the University of Missouri.

hmmm Sorry. I didn't even notice the "thermal" part. I just saw FAX
paper. It was late when I responded to the post.

I did some research on BPA and thermal paper, and found 2 interesting
articles:

"Disposing of thermal paper in the trash provides at least some time and
opportunity for BPA to break down within a landfill (though the
anaerobic conditions in many landfills often do not favor breakdown).
Ultimately, landfill leachate should be collected and treated, which
will further reduce BPA levels. While leachate treatment will still emit
some BPA to surface waters, this is preferable to recycling BPA through
paper use and re-use.

Many communities now accept paper products and food waste in community
collection programs. If thermal paper receipts end up in a composting
process, BPA would likely be present in compost or compost tea. These
additions may be inadvertent, for example, in Seattle, shredded paper
can be added to food waste. Households shred mostly financial papers, so
these may at times include credit card and other thermal receipts. In
2002, a German study reported two measurements of BPA in “compost water
samples,” at 24.8 and 145.9 micrograms per liter (21). These levels are
again much larger than normal concentrations in food and beverage
sources. In general, the short half-life of BPA in soil suggests that
*these levels would be reduced by aerobic processes* fairly quickly
after application, but the exposure risk is probably best avoided by
keeping thermal papers out of materials for compost."
http://pprc.org/index.php/2015/pprc/...t-contain-bpa/

"Thermal paper again is assessed as being a major source for the
contamination of recycled paper products with BPA. Because of the
distinct contamination with xenoestrogens, both paper waste and recycled
paper products should not be mixed with biological waste
e.g. for co-composting or co-fermentation in order to derive organic
fertilisers. "
http://www.witpress.com/Secure/elibr.../WM04029FU.pdf

One article hints that BPA would be reduced by aerobic processes, and
the other says to avoid it altogether for composting. I read a couple
other short articles that said the jury was out on whether or not it was
safe to compost, but some said it would deteriorate in land fills, and
other articles said BPA would/could leach into the underground water.

The second article I referenced mentions how toilet paper ends up with
having a lot of BPA in it due to recycled thermal paper being used to
make the TP.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I posted the paper on our local recycle web site, no responses. I'll try again and see if any better responses happen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 8:35:08 AM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/1/16 10:51 PM, wrote:
My wife doesn't use her fax machine any more, and we have 4 brand-new rolls of thermal fax paper to figure out what to do with. I hate to just throw it out in the recycle bin. Anyone have any polite ideas what I can do with it??

Give it to the local Goodwill store, place an ad in the Free Stuff
category on craislist, list on Freecycle, list on Ebay for one cent plus
actual shipping cost,

If no rain is forecast, put it out front of your house with a "Free-
Finders/Keepers" sign.

I've gotten rid of all kinds of stuff that way: A worn leather home
office executive chair, a non-working big TV, a clothes washer, an old
chine cabinet, and most of a face cord of firewood I no longer needed
after converting the fireplace to a gas log.

Usually stuff is gone within a few hours-- overnight at worst. One time
someone left a box of Girl Scout cookies with a thank you note on my
doorstep!

--
With all this "gun control" talk, I haven't heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists-- just from law

Back in the hood, if you put an old CRT TV out on the curb, it would soon be smashed to bits and scattered all over by a scavenger who wants the copper deflection coil. Someone a few blocks from my house put an old big screen rear projection TV out on the curb and scavengers soon smashed it to bits and had it scattered for 100 feet up and down the street. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Scavenger Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 19:51:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My wife doesn't use her fax machine any more, and we have 4 brand-new

Ebay - Craigslist - Freecycle or your local Goodwill store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guess it will be Goodwill as I had no response on our local freecycle site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/16 10:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Good thing you stayed in school so you could get a good job and move out
of the hood ;-)

--
The day Al Gore was born, there were 7000 polar bears on earth. Today,
only 26,000 remain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

is there an independent office supply store or a toner
cartridge refill place near you?

I simply brought them my last remaining few rolls,
figuring they were more likely to have a customer.