Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default Removing old wallpaper- trying figure out what kind of paper this is-Japanes style? help

I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style
wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It has a
texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes into
strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called? Apparently
trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the top layer
comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever removed this type
of paper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 9:17*am, KOS wrote:
I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style
wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It has a
texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes into
strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called? Apparently
trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the top layer
comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever removed this type
of paper?

No photo, ok Grasscloth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 12:03*pm, Red Green wrote:
KOS wrote in news:d287c714-7d7c-4ed5-bfb7-
:

I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style
wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It has a
texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes into
strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called? Apparently
trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the top layer
comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever removed this type
of paper?

I've used everything from plain hot water to miracle removers. For 50
bucks you can get a cheap Wagner at the Borg. Works best in my opinion
even where glues were used to fix areas.

It's good that the top layer comes off. The paper underneath will absorb
moisture of whatever method you use to remove.

You still have to wash the heck out of the walls to get all the residual
paste off. Made any wallboard repairs, primed and painted. Never had any
adhesion issues afterwards.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...43321,747.html

http://tinyurl.com/yhk6tm6

I've had the best results with a steam remover. You can rent them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style
wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It has a
texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes into
strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called? Apparently
trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the top layer
comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever removed this type
of paper?

Sounds like grasscloth, which is pretty much like burlap. Can you get a
corner of the backing started to peel it off? Probably not ) Try
spraying the stuff with warm water...if it soaks in, spray again once or
twice and then try to peel it off. If the cloth comes off and the paper
remains, use a Paper Tiger or very coarse sandpaper to score the
backing. Be careful not to cut too deeply, or the wallboard will be
damaged. Once you get the backing sliced up horizontally, spray with
warm water, let it soak in, repeat, start scraping and peeling. No
simple way to remove any kind of wallpaper, and it is always a messy but
do-able job. Put down tarp or old towels to keep runoff from the
flooring. The whole chore is to get water to the paste to dissolve it,
and it is tougher if the backing or wallpaper is vinyl coated. Once you
get the paper off, you need to wash the remainder of the paste from the
wall if you are going to paint or the texture remaining on the paste
will show through the paint. If smoothe, no problem. I always let the
wall dry overnight before cleaning the remaining paste so I didn't risk
getting the paper coating of the wallboard wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 9:17*am, KOS wrote:
I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style
wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It has a
texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes into
strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called? Apparently
trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the top layer
comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever removed this type
of paper?

Once you get the adhesive layer softened with water, a multitool,
Dremel, Harbor Freight, or whichever, will make rapid work of slicing
through the goo to lift off the wallpaper. From $39.95 and up...

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
m:

KOS wrote:
[...]

I think you need to try a steamer sometime!

Yea, no matter what it's a messy job as you say but I've found the
steamer the least of all evils with minimal wall damage.

I bet you can open clams with it too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 11:43*pm, Red Green wrote:
" wrote innews:kMqdnUF0pabAJOXWnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d@earthlink. com:

KOS wrote:
[...]

Yes, I agree. That's the best solution I've found. The steam
penetrates the paper and gets it loosened. At the same time, it
seems capable of doing that without having the paper itself turn into
mush, so you can still pull it off in larger pieces.

Yea, no matter what it's a messy job as you say but I've found the
steamer the least of all evils with minimal wall damage.

I bet you can open clams with it too.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

We are about to strip our bathroom....

thanks for the note on the Wagner Steamer..

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Next - I'll have to tackle the exposed wallboard..
which is to patch & feather
all the little areas where the paint & wallboard was pulled away
underneath the wallpaper in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ps56k" wrote in
:

We are about to strip our bathroom....

thanks for the note on the Wagner Steamer..

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100532752&N=10000003+5 2879
3+90401&marketID=90401&locStoreNum=8125

Next - I'll have to tackle the exposed wallboard..
which is to patch & feather
all the little areas where the paint & wallboard was pulled away
underneath the wallpaper in the first place.

This is one situation where priming before painting or re-wallpapering is
an absolute must. Doesn't mean you can be laxed on removing the residual
paste either!

Happy "sucky job" :-)

There are worse jobs, trust me. I spent 8hrs today under my house in a
very low crawl space replacing missing insulation bats, fitting and
nailing wood cross bracing and other fun ****. On top of being low, it's
loaded with large flex duct. In some placed about 12" space to crawl
under to get to other side. Can there be anything good in such a job?
Well yeah, it's bone dry... but dust, Ughhhhhh! At least I ain't a 200
lb'r.

I was thinking, wtf would happen if I threw a back disc or the like under
there?! I bet they would just whack up the floor, joist and new carpet
for extraction. Having experienced a bad disc once, I think I'd be happy
they did it that way.

Later,
Hurtin' Red...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"ps56k" wrote in
:

We are about to strip our bathroom....

thanks for the note on the Wagner Steamer..

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100532752&N=10000003+5 2879
3+90401&marketID=90401&locStoreNum=8125

Next - I'll have to tackle the exposed wallboard..
which is to patch & feather
all the little areas where the paint & wallboard was pulled away
underneath the wallpaper in the first place.

This is one situation where priming before painting or re-wallpapering is
an absolute must. Doesn't mean you can be laxed on removing the residual
paste either!

yeah - I'm really over in another thread
about bathroom ceiling paint peeling off in sheets.

I'll use Kilz Primer around the room for any painted areas,
or just the Kilz Bathroom Paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:55:04 -0600, "ps56k"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"ps56k" wrote in
:

We are about to strip our bathroom....

thanks for the note on the Wagner Steamer..

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100532752&N=10000003+5 2879
3+90401&marketID=90401&locStoreNum=8125

Next - I'll have to tackle the exposed wallboard..
which is to patch & feather
all the little areas where the paint & wallboard was pulled away
underneath the wallpaper in the first place.

This is one situation where priming before painting or re-wallpapering is
an absolute must. Doesn't mean you can be laxed on removing the residual
paste either!

yeah - I'm really over in another thread
about bathroom ceiling paint peeling off in sheets.

I'll use Kilz Primer around the room for any painted areas,
or just the Kilz Bathroom Paint.

That's not a good idea either. Kilz tends to crack or craze in this
situation (happened to us and it was a *mess*). This is a case where
a latex primer is a better idea. Actually, it would have been easier
to rip out all the sheetrock out of the bathroom and start over. :-(