Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default recovering textured wallpaper (anaglypta style)

hi-

I have some existing textured wallpaper/anaglypta covered in white
gloss between skirting and dado rail and need to replace it with new
textured wallpaper again to be covered in white gloss (because
unfortunately I cannot get the original pattern which I need for some
new areas).

I've bought a 6" wallpaper stripper tool from B&Q which I thought I
could use to strip the old textured wallpaper. However, all I have
managed to do is to scrape of the reliefed patterns, leaving the wall
smooth, but still glossy apart from where the patterns were.

Would I be able to simply paste the new textured wallpaper on this
smooth wall? I'm concerned that pasting over a predominantly glossed
surface might make things not stick. However, if I could, it would
make things much simpler.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Did you wet it after scraping through the gloss? Soapy water - or wallpaper
stripper should soften the remaining stuff by soaking in and softening the
paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On Feb 1, 12:27*am, "John" wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

No- I haven't yet - but if I don't need to, then I won't bother : I'm
not bothered about the increase in wall thickness - it's whether the
new paper will stick well onto predominantly glossed paint....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

No- I haven't yet - but if I don't need to, then I won't bother : I'm
not bothered about the increase in wall thickness - it's whether the
new paper will stick well onto predominantly glossed paint....

Why not hang a strip and see what happens?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Jim wrote:

No- I haven't yet - but if I don't need to, then I won't bother : I'm
not bothered about the increase in wall thickness - it's whether the
new paper will stick well onto predominantly glossed paint....

Why not hang a strip and see what happens?

I know some textured papers will peel off, leaving a flat paper layer
behind for repapering. Whether yours is like that I've no idea. If you
let water soak in you'll quickly know.

If for some reason youre determined to not peel it, mixing 1% boiled
linseed oil in the glue increases the amount of things it'll stick to
- but seriously, peel the paper off.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 00:10, Jim wrote:
[...]

If you do decide to do it, you can get extra strong all purpose
wallpaper adhesive, or you could try the stuff intended to stick vinyl
to vinyl. Some of these will leave a sheen if not wiped off the
surface/joins, but that won't matter if you're painting it anyway. |
One thing might be if the new stuff is actually a paper which would
allow any paste to dry through thoroughly before you paint it. Also
depends on whether it's a bathroom where steam/humidity might result
in the paper coming unstuck at the seams. I used ordinary paste to
stick woodchip to old glossy (not full gloss vinyl) paint on a
bathroom ceiling, then vinyl painting it, and it stayed there for two
decades (then was delightfully easy to remove) Replacing it by using
ordinary paste on a stiffer textured paper then painting it wasn't so
successful. The seams started to rise and I had to stick them down
with strong repair adhesive which has left a sheen and needs
repainting.

Toom

HELP:Removing Rubber From Anaglypta Wallpaper ioan davies UK diy 11 January 30th 08 09:47 PM
Painting anaglypta lachie UK diy 1 September 14th 06 05:22 PM
Painting textured wallpaper - advice sought Matt UK diy 4 July 7th 06 04:32 PM
making a smooth surface on Anaglypta wallpaper Dinkydi UK diy 2 February 24th 05 04:41 PM
London supplier of anaglypta wallpaper Clive Long,UK UK diy 1 January 28th 05 06:43 PM