Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Removing old wallpaper- trying figure out what kind of paper this is- Japanes style? help

wrote in
:

On Feb 14, 12:03*pm, Red Green wrote:
KOS wrote in
:

I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style
wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It
has a texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes
into strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called?
Apparently trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the
top layer comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever
removed this type of paper?

I've used everything from plain hot water to miracle removers. For 50
bucks you can get a cheap Wagner at the Borg. Works best in my
opinion even where glues were used to fix areas.

It's good that the top layer comes off. The paper underneath will
absorb moisture of whatever method you use to remove.

You still have to wash the heck out of the walls to get all the
residual paste off. Made any wallboard repairs, primed and painted.
Never had any adhesion issues afterwards.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...43321,747.html

http://tinyurl.com/yhk6tm6

I've had the best results with a steam remover. You can rent them.

I considered renting until I found I could own an adequate one for equal
or less than the cost of renting once.