Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Capped !

Yesterday I finished pouring the concrete cap on my basement block walls .
Now I can move on to the carpentry part , and I have at least a little
experience with that ...
But not today , it's going to be near 70° here and I haven't ridden Mr
Motorcycle in close to a month . Got a jones on for a ride ... but I might
do a little more backfilling first , the recent rain has settled the soil
around the cellar .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2016 8:10 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
But not today , it's going to be near 70° here and I haven't ridden Mr
Motorcycle in close to a month . Got a jones on for a ride ...

Are motor cycles male or female? That opens up
interesting question. They like to have men on
their backs, and they go around to places and
go shopping. So... ?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 7:10:09 AM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
Yesterday I finished pouring the concrete cap on my basement block walls ..
Now I can move on to the carpentry part , and I have at least a little
experience with that ...
But not today , it's going to be near 70° here and I haven't ridden Mr
Motorcycle in close to a month . Got a jones on for a ride ... but I might
do a little more backfilling first , the recent rain has settled the soil
around the cellar .
--
Snag

Don't forget the block wall bracing before backfilling...I have a BIL that didn't do it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yesterday I finished pouring the concrete cap on my basement block
walls . Now I can move on to the carpentry part , and I have at
least a little experience with that ...
But not today , it's going to be near 70° here and I haven't
ridden Mr Motorcycle in close to a month . Got a jones on for a ride
... but I might do a little more backfilling first , the recent rain
has settled the soil around the cellar .
--
Snag

Don't forget the block wall bracing before backfilling...I have a BIL
that didn't do it!

I'm not quite sure what you mean about bracing ... This cellar is only
about half below grade , there is rebar between row 3 and 4 , row 6 and 7 ,
and there are vertical rebars every 4 feet with that column filled with
concrete . I backfilled about 3 weeks ago , recent rain/sleet/snow event has
settled that fill so I need to push more dirt (clay mostly) to get the
runoff profile I want . Not that it will see any runoff after the kitchen is
on top of it , but you never know and I want any water that finds it's way
under there to run away from the walls .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair
ray ray is offline

On 02/27/2016 06:48 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean about bracing ... This cellar is only
about half below grade , there is rebar between row 3 and 4 , row 6 and 7 ,
and there are vertical rebars every 4 feet with that column filled with
concrete . I backfilled about 3 weeks ago , recent rain/sleet/snow event has
settled that fill so I need to push more dirt (clay mostly) to get the
runoff profile I want .

Not sure where you're located but around here backfilling with clay will destroy/collapse a block wall in 15 years or less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/zm92fjx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 07:38:38 -0700, ray wrote in

On 02/27/2016 06:48 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean about bracing ... This cellar is only
about half below grade , there is rebar between row 3 and 4 , row 6 and 7 ,
and there are vertical rebars every 4 feet with that column filled with
concrete . I backfilled about 3 weeks ago , recent rain/sleet/snow event has
settled that fill so I need to push more dirt (clay mostly) to get the
runoff profile I want .

Not sure where you're located but around here backfilling with clay will destroy/collapse a block wall in 15 years or less.

Is that because of the expansion/contraction of clay as it absorbs
water & dries out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 07:38:38 -0700, ray wrote in

On 02/27/2016 06:48 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean about bracing ... This cellar is
only about half below grade , there is rebar between row 3 and 4 ,
row 6 and 7 , and there are vertical rebars every 4 feet with that
column filled with concrete . I backfilled about 3 weeks ago ,
recent rain/sleet/snow event has settled that fill so I need to
push more dirt (clay mostly) to get the runoff profile I want .

Not sure where you're located but around here backfilling with clay
will destroy/collapse a block wall in 15 years or less.

Is that because of the expansion/contraction of clay as it absorbs
water & dries out?

THe short answer is yes . Shouldn't be a problem here because the cellar
walls are all recessed under the house except the downhill end wall , and
they are only partly below grade . This is the same stuff that came out of
the hole .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

OK , that's kinda what I thought . If my walls were that long and buried
that far I'd be worried .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 07:38:38 -0700, ray wrote:

On 02/27/2016 06:48 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean about bracing ... This cellar is only
about half below grade , there is rebar between row 3 and 4 , row 6 and 7 ,
and there are vertical rebars every 4 feet with that column filled with
concrete . I backfilled about 3 weeks ago , recent rain/sleet/snow event has
settled that fill so I need to push more dirt (clay mostly) to get the
runoff profile I want .

Not sure where you're located but around here backfilling with clay will destroy/collapse a block wall in 15 years or less.

Around here bazckfill with sand/gravel and cap with clay is pretty
common. The clay cap helps shed water, keeping it away from the
foundation.

capped-off 8mm gas pipe Bongo Bongo UK diy 7 December 19th 13 11:11 PM
Capped Gas Prices TheScullster UK diy 6 March 9th 11 11:45 AM
Gas supply 'capped off' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 13 September 12th 05 09:46 PM
Airlock in capped off pipe Greg W UK diy 3 December 9th 03 11:20 AM
flow rate capped ?? cuckoo flower UK diy 0 August 8th 03 04:46 PM