Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting old is no fun

On 2/22/2016 6:40 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I still recommend running. Mainly because you are outside covering
ground, and if you're walking 3.8 miles, who knows you might be able to
run a half mile. At the end, you'll have pumped up your muscles with
blood, and accelerated all your bodily functions like heart, lungs,
blood flow.

Unless walking makes you breath hard, I think you should speed up.

I have to walk a fine line regarding outdoor exercise.

I have *lots* of seasonal allergies. And, live in a place
where *something* is ALWAYS in bloom. The pollen charts
just show one species peaking -- then giving way to another,
etc. -- all year 'round!

So, my lungs are often struggling to purge these inhaled
"irritants" (apparently, folks with allergies are predisposed
to things like asthma).

On top of this, I'm always trying to find the sweet spot
regarding outdoor conditions: I'm not keen on walking when
the Sun is high and it's 110F! I'll be *in* the sun for
that entire time (esp if I'm walking to library, post office,
etc.). And, not keen on having to carry water to stay
hydrated (No fanny pack, thankyouverymuch!).

At the other extreme, if the air is too cool (and terribly DRY),
it irritates my lungs. I feel like I want to scratch them
for relief.

So, this leaves me with a narrow window to hit -- that I have
to mesh with my sleep/wake/work cycle. I.e., if I'm asleep
at the best time to walk... shrug

If I miss that window, I *drive* the mile to the local park
and walk their indoor track (no advantage to walking their
OUTDOOR track!). But, this is INCREDIBLY boring!

Around and around and around and around and...

Also kind of embarassing as I tend to walk much faster than the
other folks on the track. Especially those that are STRUGGLING to
walk at all! So, I'm constantly overtaking them:
"Excuse me", "Coming around on your left", etc.

I wouldn't run more than a 2 miles at a time. Running is too rough on the
body (knees, feet). Find something else if you want more exercise.

You'll do more good and it won't take so long.

Of course, my opinion, but I feel like it worked for me. A while back I
was just walking because my feet hurt. Graduated to running, got back
into lifting, currently on a 3 year swimming binge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2016 8:10 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I do have my share of aches and pains , mostly from a dissipated youth -
which I still haven't outgrown . I figger that I'll be able to keep doin' as
long as I keep doin' , if that makes any sense . My next task in this
construction project is to dig holes to pour footings for support columns
for the kitchen . I got a new shovel today just for this task ...

I was amazed at how much more strenuous *digging* is than walking!
E.g., I can walk (at a brisk pace) for an hour and my heart will
return to its nominal 66 bpm in a matter of 10-20 seconds. OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2016 9:14 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Don Y writes:

Hi Frank,

On 2/22/2016 5:39 PM, Frank wrote:

Certain things I quit doing because of arthritis and poorer vision.
Climbing on the roof is one and another doing extensive plumbing under the sink
or the like. Put a new cabin air filter in my car last year and having to find
the 10 or so screws to get out the glove compartment and crawling under the
dash to remove the filter, I almost could not do whereas I had done it several
times in the past.

My office is set up as three "tables" in a large "U" shape.
All of my computers are located *under* the tables (on the
floor) with monitors, keyboards, mice and other I/O devices
cluttering the top.

This is great -- cuz it gives me that much more surface to
use for these devices, books, note pads, etc.

However, with each passing year, I find it harder to service
the machines! The machines are about 3 feet from anything that
connects to them (because the table is about 3 feet off the
floor!). So, there's not a lot of slack in the cords that
run up to the top of the table!

As a result, I can't really pull the machines out (forward) to
work on them -- the cables effectively lock them in place.
And, to get at the connections on the back of each means crawling
UNDER the tables and poking around behind them (without moving them).

Of course, that means crawling OVER any other equipment that
is located alongside! (other computers, printers, UPS's, etc.)

I don't think about any of this -- UNTIL I'm halfway under the
table wondering why my body no longer "bends that way"! :

Years ago I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/IOCrest-Adjustable-Foldable-Flexible-SY-ACC65029/dp/B003BYRO7O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31mYjtUeLbL&dpSr c=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0JK0893 7EBBSPGEKDVVB

http://tinyurl.com/hse5o7m

You have to leave enough slack in the wiring to be able to move
the stand.

Yes, the slack is the problem!

E.g., my two primary workstations are at the "inner corners" of the "U"-shaped
worksurface. But, each feeds the *three* monitors along that bottom loop of
the "U". So, the workstation on the left has to feed monitors 1, 2, and 3
(left to right) over the span of about 4 feet. The workstation on the right
feeds monitors 3, 2 and 1 (right to left) over the same 4 foot span.

Monitor connections are about a foot above the level of the worksurface
and pulled slightly forward. Computers are ~2.5 feet below. So, you've
used the entire length of a 6 ft cable just to go "point-to-point" from
each machine to its monitors. Try to pull the computer out a foot and you
find your cable is short by that foot! :-/

And that ignores any other connections (SCSI, USB, serial, parallel, power,
network) that might be associated with the machine(s).

[It's a veritable jungle of wires under there!]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 1:22:59 PM UTC-6, net cop wrote:
KenK writes:

Prepping the swamp cooler for summer. Unlike last year, the calcium scraped
off easily in the pan!

Changed one cooling pad and it wore me out. I'll have to do the others in
two steps - remove one day, put in new one the next. sigh Wasn't that
long ago I did all three quickly in one session. Soon fiddle with water
lines to pads. That's always a lot of fun, removing and cleaning out these
that are plugged up.

I'm at 70 and I swim 3x a week.
Still putting on muscle.
I'm wondering how long this can go on before I really
start to get less physically fit.

Anyway, my advice to all seniors. You need to exercise.
If you can't walk far, try walking farther.
If you can walk, run.
If you don't want to exercise, you've given up.
--
Dan Espen

When I arrived here at the nursing home a year ago, I couldn't stand up or even get into a wheelchair without help. Now, using a walker, I can travel a short distance up and down the hallway. I can also walk across the room and back using only my cane for assistance. I'm going to walk without any kind of assistance within this year. In January, I crawled up a short flight of stairs but I'm going to be able to walk up a flight of stairs this year. I'm also going to be able to climb a ladder this year. I'm going to be able to do these things because I'm angry. I'm angry and frustrated at being disabled which is why I'm doing something about it despite the pain. I'm not giving up! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:

[...]

I bet you could find cheap extender cables at monoprice.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

[...]

I'm rooting for you!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2016 8:58 PM, Micky wrote:
On 22 Feb 2016 18:02:59 GMT, KenK wrote:

Prepping the swamp cooler for summer. Unlike last year, the calcium scraped
off easily in the pan!

Changed one cooling pad and it wore me out. I'll have to do the others in
two steps - remove one day, put in new one the next. sigh Wasn't that
long ago I did all three quickly in one session. Soon fiddle with water
lines to pads. That's always a lot of fun, removing and cleaning out these
that are plugged up.

My good friend is 79 years old and was in great shape until 2 weeks
ago (5 years ago he was still carrying around, erecting, and climbing
a 20 foot fiberglass extension ladeer.) His father lived to 93, his
mother almost 100, wore high heels until she was 93.

My MIL is 90, and she's just now starting to slow down a bit.

But in the snow he stopped to help someone push his car out. Hurt his
shoulder, but still went to work for two days. Pain bad, doctor said
rotator cuff damaged. Physical therapy did something and now his neck

A few years ago I had pain in my right rotator cuff, and it seemed like
it would never stop hurting. But, luckily, after about 2 years of
babying it, it finally healed up and doesn't hurt any more.

and back hurts. Saw him today, after the chiropractor, he could
barely walk, drooling from some pain medicine.

I've hurt my back several times and chiropractors did their thing for
me. The last time I picked up a laundry basket that turned out to be
heavier than I expected it to be and felt something in my low back
object. It hurt so badly that I thought I had done something really
serious to it because I could barely walk. I ended up in the
chiropractors office every day for a week, and he adjusted my back each
day and had me walking comfortably after the 2nd adjustment. I was able
to get on a plane at the end of the week to go to my daughters wedding
out of town, but I had strict orders that I wasn't allowed to life
anything and to see him again when I got back to finish up the
treatments. After that incident, I'm really careful about lifting stuff.

All from the car which belonged to a stranger.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 9:35:44 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Wish I had all this home repair knowledge when I was younger and could have
used it.

I never put desktop computers on the floor anymore because the darn things act like vacuum cleaners and suck up a lot of dirt. The closest I come to putting a mini tower on the floor is to set it on top of a plastic milk crate. At home, my desktop computers are on the table and I can pull the release handle on top and tilt out the side panel to reach everything. The hard drives are in caddies and slide straight out of the open side. I did have a full tower on wheels at one time in which I installed air filters that I cleaned on a regular basis. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dust Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2016 7:19 PM, Bob F wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per SeaNymph:
I exercise first thing in the morning, every day. I actually enjoy
it.

Maybe the most important thing I have learned in 50+ years of
obsessive physical conditioning: The Pleasure Has Got To Exceed The
Pain.

I tell people that they can put up with exercise being unpleasant for
awhile - and they will inevitably have to when starting out or
re-starting after a break.... but in the long run they have to find
something where they can feel more pleasure from it than discomfort.

Different strokes for different folks... but each person has to be
aware that they must keep searching/trying to adapt.

Good point.

With straight, really good exercise like weight lifting,
the exercise itself will feel punishing. Not good.

Things like running have some payoff, you're outside seeing
scenery go by but it's still hard. Can't say why I find
swimming so much fun. I like perfecting strokes and turns.

I've always found increasing muscle mass or tone a delayed pleasure.
You have to balance short term pain against long term rewards.
I imagine there is some point in old age where you stop
getting stronger but I haven't reached it yet.

The last 4 summers, I've been riding my bike 13.5 hilly miles each way twice a
week to play volleyball for 2 1/2 hours. That got me in shape for winter
snowboarding. Today was the 28th day of the season for me, 4-5 hours each day.
But then, I'm only 67.

When I was a kid (too young to drive), I'd ride my bike to a summer/weekend
science program ~25 miles from home. Much of it over "highways". The
last ~2.5 miles were to the ridgeline of a mountain (though it's almost
a joke to call anything in new england a "mountain"!).

The first mile of that was a 500 ft rise on a 4 lane highway -- speed limit
being 45 or so. It was *grueling* to get to the top. The next 1.5 miles
was through the woods (gravel single lane road) and only a ~200 ft rise
(no traffic, no houses, no nothin'! Just trees!)

The reward came on the return trip: a leisurely "coast" down that
first mile and a half, wooded stretch. Followed by an exhilarating
flight down the last mile -- at speeds EXCEEDING those of the traffic
on the roadway! (amusing to watch folks looking over at you as you
PASS them -- on the shoulder!)

The ****er was the traffic signal located at the exact bottom of this
run. You could see it from about 1/4 mile away. And, as the road you
were traveling was the "major" roadway at that intersection, you tended
to have a lot longer GREEN than the crossroad (which would be your RED).

Unfortunately, I had to turn LEFT -- across 4 lanes of traffic -- at
that light. So, I would simply overshoot it by half a mile or so.
Then, cross to the other side of the road and pedal back to the
intersection -- taking a RIGHT.

On one occasion, the light at the base turned RED as I was approaching.
It is simply not possible to brake a bicycle traveling at that speed
SAFELY in a short distance! I ended up running through the intersection
at probably 20 MPH -- despite having ridden both brakes from the moment
I saw the RED. When I managed to stop, my trousers were coated with a
white powder -- "WTF??" It was the remains of my front brake "rubbers"
(they WERE a white colored rubber). I'd braked so hard and for so long
that front and back brakes were gone!

Now, some 40 years later, crossing 4 lanes of traffic on a level
roadway *at* a traffic signal is far more terrifying! I point
to this as PROOF of the diminished quality of products, nowadays;
in particular, bicycles (they don't make 'em like they used to!).

Surely *I* can't have changed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2016 07:54 PM, Micky wrote:
I was upside down under the dash two days ago, a warm day, to
disconnect the key-in switch, to stop the darn buzzing, and that
night, my side hurt a lot. Still hurt last night. Never happened
before, and I coudlnt' even find the switch.

Doing the under the dash yoga hurt when I was 20...

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

[...]

Thanks Muggs. I can't chase girls right now because they can get away by walking up a short flight of stairs. I'm going to be able to catch them again some day. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Pursuit Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

[...]

I'm guessing some of them will even let you catch them. ;-)

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Bob,

On 2/22/2016 10:08 PM, Bob F wrote:
And that ignores any other connections (SCSI, USB, serial, parallel,
power, network) that might be associated with the machine(s).

I bet you could find cheap extender cables at monoprice.com.

What you want is "just a foot or two". Note that any "slack" now
has to get STORED under the tables!

So, you need a couple of feet times three monitors, each printer/serial
port, USB connection (I've already done that for the keyboard and
mouse), network, SCSI (which has limits on how long it can be), etc.

The real solution is to arrange access to the backside of the
machines. Of course, the tendency is always to push things up
against walls -- not leave them out in the middle of the room
(where they can be accessed from both sides).

I *should* buy some extra long "mickeys" to replace the normal
length cords for the laptops (otherwise, have to pack an extension
cord in addition to the power cord for each laptop!). I've a fair
number of extra long "modular" (IEC60320 -- the sort that's on
the back of your PC) cords but no long mickeys!

Meanwhile, back to juicing. Should hit 36 qts tonight and start
on the back side of the tree, tomorrow...
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

[...]

The toddlers and younger are the easiest to catch. When they get older and can run, that's when it gets tough to catch them. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Catchy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 14:22:55 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

KenK writes:

Prepping the swamp cooler for summer. Unlike last year, the calcium scraped
off easily in the pan!

Changed one cooling pad and it wore me out. I'll have to do the others in
two steps - remove one day, put in new one the next. sigh Wasn't that
long ago I did all three quickly in one session. Soon fiddle with water
lines to pads. That's always a lot of fun, removing and cleaning out these
that are plugged up.

I'm at 70 and I swim 3x a week.
Still putting on muscle.
I'm wondering how long this can go on before I really
start to get less physically fit.

Anyway, my advice to all seniors. You need to exercise.
If you can't walk far, try walking farther.
If you can walk, run.
If you don't want to exercise, you've given up.

I know a lot of "seniors" who THINK they cant do a lot of stuff anymore.
I'm in that same age group. I dont ACT OLD. We all have a choice. We can
ACT OLD, or ACT YOUNG. I have a few health issues, but I will continue
to ACT YOUNG, and enjoy life till the day I drop dead.

I know far too many seniors who seem to spend most of their lives
thinking about nothing but health, medications, aches and pains, and let
doctors rule their lives. It's like those commercials on ME-TV. I love
their programs, in fact thats about all I even watch on TV these days,
but their commercials are horrid. 95% of them are about illness,
medications, funerals, life insurance, and other thngs that society
wants seniors to spend all their time thinking about. They have the
absolute worst and most depressing commercials of any tv station. But we
must all realize that the bottom line is that they want out money.
Doctors and Insurance companies will take every last cent we have, if we
let them.

Personally, I tell them all to "get ****ed". I wont give one cent to a
life insurance company, and while I will go to a doctor when I am really
sick, I avoid seeing them the rest of the time. I'm tired of hearing "at
your age, you need all these tests". **** their tests. As long as I'm
still moving, I'll keep moving, rather sitting in their waiting rooms,
so they can tell me everything wrong with me, and end their discussion
by saying "it's part of aging, but if you take all these poisons
(drugs), we'll keep you alive for many more years".

I've told many doctors EXACTLY where to shove their poison drugs....
(which most of the time the side effects are 10x worse than what they
are supposed to cure).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ed Pawlowski:
Some days I think the same. I'd like to eliminate the steps.
Eventually I may get a new knee but my wife won't be getting a new heart.

I was looking at electric stair climbers for awhile - but concluded that
their slowness would make me crazy.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Micky:

Then I was fine, and 8 months later, it hasn't shown up again.

Husband of a couple we socialize with had that happen - but he fell down
the flight of stairs and blew out his knee.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Don Y:
If I miss that window, I *drive* the mile to the local park
and walk their indoor track (no advantage to walking their
OUTDOOR track!). But, this is INCREDIBLY boring!

During warm weather I tend to bike - but not on roads.

During cold weather the solution that has proven itself to me over a
number of years has been a PreCor Model 100 elliptical machine plus
music at the local Y.

I specify Make/Model because I find other elliptical machines to be
severely wanting by comparison.

In fact, before I discovered this thing I thought elliptical machines
were for wimps - that *real* men used the StairMaster...even had a
StairMaster knockoff in my garage.

But this elliptical machine gives me the most elevation in heart rate
with the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever done. It's
like swimming standing up.

Couldn't do it without music (or, maybe TV or a book)... but I have
music and the pleasure outweighs the pain long term.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dan Espen:
With straight, really good exercise like weight lifting,
the exercise itself will feel punishing. Not good.

I've always found increasing muscle mass or tone a delayed pleasure.
You have to balance short term pain against long term rewards.

I have found that, with strength training, there is room to make it at
least neutral while actually doing the reps - and pleasurable afterwards
as the pump sets in. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing in the
world, but it's something I can deal with 2x per week for a half hour to
supplement the 1 hour cardio I do on the other days.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch
around the house because of severe rain.

Wife found the body next day...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/23/2016 8:00 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ed Pawlowski:
Some days I think the same. I'd like to eliminate the steps.
Eventually I may get a new knee but my wife won't be getting a new heart.

I was looking at electric stair climbers for awhile - but concluded that
their slowness would make me crazy.

Have installed a couple for friends...they have been a veritable godsend
for both. It has opened their houses back up for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Pete,

On 2/23/2016 7:05 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
If I miss that window, I *drive* the mile to the local park
and walk their indoor track (no advantage to walking their
OUTDOOR track!). But, this is INCREDIBLY boring!

During warm weather I tend to bike - but not on roads.

There aren't many options here that don't involve roads -- without
"taking a drive". We can bike along the "wash network" but it
would be a leisurely stroll as you'd be biking amongst folks
walking (like on a sidewalk).

The city tends to be bike friendly. But, that doesn't mean the
*drivers* are! And, with most roadways 4 or 6 lanes, left turns
get to be a real hassle -- you either turn from the innermost lane
(and find yourself trapped against the median after the turn,
trying to "get right" across a couple of lanes of traffic), or
turn from a "middle lane" (rightmost left turn lane) and hope
you don't get clipped by through traffic while you wait to cross.

Most of the pro/semi-pro bicyclists who train here gain protection
by traveling in "packs" -- effectively occupying an entire traffic
lane! Hard to do that with one bike...

During cold weather the solution that has proven itself to me over a
number of years has been a PreCor Model 100 elliptical machine plus
music at the local Y.

I specify Make/Model because I find other elliptical machines to be
severely wanting by comparison.

Excellent! I will try to track one down! I've been considering
buying something so I'm not governed by weather, time of day, etc.
with my exercising (walking). But, know too many pieces of equipment
that get bought then become dust magnets.

In fact, before I discovered this thing I thought elliptical machines
were for wimps - that *real* men used the StairMaster...even had a
StairMaster knockoff in my garage.

But this elliptical machine gives me the most elevation in heart rate
with the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever done. It's
like swimming standing up.

Couldn't do it without music (or, maybe TV or a book)... but I have
music and the pleasure outweighs the pain long term.

For me, the advantage to a machine is that I could rest a book on
the handlebars -- not possible to read while walking otherwise
(the book bounces around too much).

The problem with exercise (and diet and other lifestyle choices)
is that the costs tend to be deferred -- until a point where
you can't recoup your losses. OTOH, the (apparent) "savings"
are immediate: "I can enjoy this unnutritional -- but tastey -- meal
RIGHT NOW!"

(sigh)

Time to load the car...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch
around the house because of severe rain.

Wife found the body next day...

All things considered, not a bad way to go.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 9:06:52 AM UTC-6, net cop wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch
around the house because of severe rain.

Wife found the body next day...

All things considered, not a bad way to go.

--
Dan Espen

....if he fell in the ditch...another problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2016 8:12 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch
around the house because of severe rain.

Wife found the body next day...

Found him the next day? Uh, .... oh never mind. Living alone my
neighbors the ones who also live alone, we kind of check on each other,
sometimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch
around the house because of severe rain.

Wife found the body next day...

It's an unavoidable evil ... but I actually stay pretty active in other
ways too . Unfortunately there's more diggin' in my future , but I might
just rent that trac-hoe again when it's time to start the bedroom .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Don Y:
For me, the advantage to a machine is that I could rest a book on
the handlebars -- not possible to read while walking otherwise
(the book bounces around too much).

Have you tried music?

Probably not for everybody, but for me it introduces a feelgood factor.

Books/TV, OTOH, just distract me from the effort - not a bad thing - but
music actually enhances the sensation.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dan Espen:
Wife found the body next day...

All things considered, not a bad way to go.

Tough on the wife, though.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

[...]

That's true, but they have way more energy they can expend in trying to
get away after being captured!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Maybe, maybe not.
If a guy dies working in the yard, first of all,
he died outside, not in a hospital room hooked up
to machines. That alternative could have been much
harder on the wife.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in news:nag3a4$oem$1@dont-
email.me:

Surprisingly, many EYE injuries (in seniors) are the result of
falling and striking the eye on something.

I almost did that a few months ago. In the dark I hit the corner of a
kitchen cabinet door right above my eye. Down an inch...

I try to keep the doors closed but I still forget sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in news:nag2ko$lur$1@dont-
email.me:

When I first started walking, MD was preaching "30 minutes, 3 times
a week".

I do about 20 minutes usually six times a week. I could go longer but it's
boring. I can't tell that it helps much but it might.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in news:nagnl5$h9o$1@dont-
email.me:

On top of this, I'm always trying to find the sweet spot
regarding outdoor conditions: I'm not keen on walking when
the Sun is high and it's 110F! I'll be *in* the sun for
that entire time (esp if I'm walking to library, post office,
etc.). And, not keen on having to carry water to stay
hydrated (No fanny pack, thankyouverymuch!).

That's why I do my walking at 8:30 AM. Before it gets hot. I don't walk to
any particular destination - just walk for the exercise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 Cents wrote in :

On 2/22/2016 4:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/22/2016 2:39 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Getting old is definitely not for sissies.

But it beats the alternative...

I plan to live forever.
So far, so good...

FWIW,
https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/population/longevity.html
I use to consider the price difference when I bought something with a
warranty, now I include the odds of me outliving the warranty.

That's why I only buy one year subscriptions to magazines, one year
memberships, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We all sound like old women complaining about aches and pains...only we do more bragging about what we can do or how much pain we can take. The cocks last crow...so to speak.

A good prescription would be to spend less time here and get outside more....and interact with the "real" folks, maybe do them some good! ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2016 7:12 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Snow is problematic for several reasons:
- WET snow (slush) is just too damn heavy! Couple that with the size of most
snow shovels and it's backbreaking (and heart-stopping) work!
- dry snow (powder) is light -- often too light and blows off the shovel in
brisk winds -- but it's still up-and-down, up-and-down... lower back abuse
- inevitably, snow is accompanied by an underlayer of ice. This makes
keeping your footing difficult. And, means you have to CHOP ICE to
complete the job.
- it's cold when you're shoveling; you're bundled up so you're PERSPIRING
from the exertion while your exposed skin is FREEZING. Easy to overheat.
- snow *needs* to be cleared "now"; it's not like you can spread the job
out over several days! By contrast, I can dig a ditch for an irrigation
line over the course of WEEKS, if I so choose! (when I dug out the last
tree stump, the front yard looked like an archeological excavation for
6 full months!)

Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch
around the house because of severe rain.

Wife found the body next day...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2016 10:16 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Maybe, maybe not.
If a guy dies working in the yard, first of all,
he died outside, not in a hospital room hooked up
to machines. That alternative could have been much
harder on the wife.

+1

My grandfather "woke up dead". I'm sure grandmother wasn't
keen to find herself lying next to a stiff. But, that was
*it* -- over and done with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:

On 2/23/2016 7:12 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
OTOH,
dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of
my accustomed exertion window.

Snow is problematic for several reasons:
- it's cold when you're shoveling; you're bundled up so you're PERSPIRING
from the exertion while your exposed skin is FREEZING. Easy to overheat.

Simple solution.
My neighbors probably think I'm nuts, but after our recent snowstorm
I went out and shoveled in a tee shirt. It was well below freezing,
but you don't want to get wet in the cold. Moving around keeps
you warm.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2016 11:01 AM, KenK wrote:
My 2 Cents wrote in :

On 2/22/2016 4:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/22/2016 2:39 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Getting old is definitely not for sissies.

But it beats the alternative...

I plan to live forever.
So far, so good...

FWIW,
https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/population/longevity.html
I use to consider the price difference when I bought something with a
warranty, now I include the odds of me outliving the warranty.

That's why I only buy one year subscriptions to magazines, one year
memberships, etc.

You know you've "accepted the inevitable" when you stop checking
the dates on BREAD!! :