Posted to alt.home.repair

Default coupler vs extended lengths for EMT

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2016 10:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

As a rule, most professional electricians go a thousand miles out of their way to avoid altering the building structure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 11:57:05 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

....maybe you're actually micky with multiple personalities?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 22:56:01 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

Use a setscrew coupling as it is much thinner.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 03:08:54 -0700, Jack Legg
wrote:

On 02/21/2016 10:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

As a rule, most professional electricians go a thousand
miles out of their way to avoid altering the building structure.

I have never seen EMT conduit sold in lenghts longer than 10ft.

Having worked as an electrician, I have never made offsets in EMT by
couplers. Nor have I ever seen any electrician do that. Just put the
coupler on the conduit and put your hangers on the conduit in the normal
manner, staying at least one foot away from the coupler. The conduit
will flex slightly to make a neat appearance and will work just fine.
Obviously, if you use the couplers with screws, dont put the screws
against the wood. Sure you could make a recess in the wood, but why?
You're just making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

Why would you even ask?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2016 5:08 AM, Jack Legg wrote:
On 02/21/2016 10:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

As a rule, most professional electricians go a thousand miles out of
their way to avoid altering the building structure.

Is that like chair lifts? Best not to modify,
for liability reasons?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

Halex makes drawn steel connectors that are thinner than the cast zinc
connector and will only offset your EMT about 3/32ds of an inch.
You will not find EMT in anything but 10' from normal suppliers.
That is what U/L calls the "standard" length. There are provisions for
longer lengths but I have never seen it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2016 3:08 AM, Jack Legg wrote:
On 02/21/2016 10:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

As a rule, most professional electricians go a thousand miles out of their way
to avoid altering the building structure.

Yeah, but that could simply be a consequence of "everything's a nail
when all you have is a hammer". I.e., easier to bend pipe than
carry assorted woodworking and masonary tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

Very... Don't screw with the joists. A reply was posted for 20' sections-
which I wasn't aware of. IDK if you can get a supplier to one off a section.

Use what Greg Fretwell recommends and you won't go wrong.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

Halex makes drawn steel connectors that are thinner than the cast zinc
connector and will only offset your EMT about 3/32ds of an inch.

Yes, but you still end up effectively creating an offset
(the pipe is bent under stress and held in that position
by the clamps affixing it to the structure). I can just
as easily NOT put box offsets in at the ends and "float"
the pipe offset from the structure.

[I think this looks tacky and invites folks to tug on the pipe;
lost a security system at one business by crooks who were smart
enough to realize they could just tug on the EMT to eventually
yank the wires out of the protected camera enclosure -- cuz they
had beaten the last UNPROTECTED camera with a baseball bat!]

You will not find EMT in anything but 10' from normal suppliers.
That is what U/L calls the "standard" length. There are provisions for
longer lengths but I have never seen it.

I was hoping one of the industrial electric suppliers might carry
it. Or even RMC.

But, getting it *home* would be a challenge. Ten foot lengths are
manageable; 20 is tedious.

E.g., when I buy bar stock, I have it cut to length at the foundry
instead of saving a few pennies and trying to transport 20 ft lengths
home to cut with a hacksaw!

I suspect I could buy 20 ft lengths of EMT or RMC from my metal supplier
but that's a good 10-15 mile trip.

OTOH, if I could buy it at a big box retailer, I could hand carry it the
2 or 3 miles home!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

Use a setscrew coupling as it is much thinner.
--
Mr.E

Unless he needs a rain-tite coupling. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Rain Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Darn! I just remembered some couplings and connectors I first picked up back in the 1970's that I need to look up. I used some a while back that are similar but work on MC cable. The things worked like Sharkbite connectors for water pipe but were hammered on the EMT. As I remember, the things were made by Tomic. There is a new fitting made by Bridgeport called MIGHTY-BITE that pushes on EMT conduit. It's reusable unlike the older connector. It's a pretty slick product. I must try some one day. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJ1jV-pas4

[8~{} Uncle Conduit Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You must be an amateur wannabe electrician.

http://www.wheatland.com/images/prod...el-Conduit.pdf

That's a special order item from the electrical supply houses around here. The only place you'll see that 20 foot EMT conduit is on very large jobs. You'd also have to buy a minimum number of bundles. You can't walk into a supply house, ask for one 20' stick of EMT and expect it to be available. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Conduit Monster

Anybody got lengths of RG8x or 58A coax? Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 41 March 5th 15 05:15 AM
What is a Slip Coupler? jim UK diy 7 October 14th 11 05:02 PM
coupler for AC servo Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] Metalworking 9 August 21st 11 06:50 AM
Confusion over lengths of T4 fluorescents Richard Russell UK diy 9 November 11th 08 05:12 PM
How to take apart a chain coupler [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 25th 07 03:23 AM