Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default coupler vs extended lengths for EMT

On 2/22/2016 3:08 AM, Jack Legg wrote:
On 02/21/2016 10:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
I've got a ~20 ft (possibly longer, I'd have to check) run.
I can piece together two standard 10' lengths of EMT with
a coupler. Or, try to find a supplier for the extended lengths
available, locally (then, figure out how to get it home!).

The advantage of the longer length is no offsets in the
middle (for the coupler) -- just at the box ends.

OTOH, I can get crude and *route* a recess in the wooden
joist that's alongside the EMT so the "inside" bulk of
the coupler fits into that recess instead of lying *on*
that surface.

How "tacky" is this?

As a rule, most professional electricians go a thousand miles out of their way
to avoid altering the building structure.

Yeah, but that could simply be a consequence of "everything's a nail
when all you have is a hammer". I.e., easier to bend pipe than
carry assorted woodworking and masonary tools.