Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stove gas line

How many inches can a stove gas line be away from the wall when it comes up in the kitchen? In my kitchen it is about 6"from the wall and then elbows and shoots the wall, elbows and that's where the shut off valve is. Never seen it like that before. Want to get a new stove and you know how installers are when it comes to code- no way it can be moved closer- shoots up next to a main beam, and another room and bathroom are behind the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
How many inches can a stove gas line be away from the wall when it comes up
in the kitchen? In my kitchen it is about 6"from the wall and then elbows
and shoots the wall, elbows and that's where the shut off valve is. Never
seen it like that before. Want to get a new stove and you know how
installers are when it comes to code- no way it can be moved closer-
shoots up next to a main beam, and another room and bathroom are behind
the wall.

I can't imagine that there would be any code that prevents what you have. I
have a similar setup in one property that I own. As long as there is room
for the new stove to be installed, I doubt that there will be any problem
with the installers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 7:41:07 PM UTC-5, Chris wrote:
How many inches can a stove gas line be away from the wall when it comes up in the kitchen? In my kitchen it is about 6"from the wall and then elbows and shoots the wall, elbows and that's where the shut off valve is. Never seen it like that before. Want to get a new stove and you know how installers are when it comes to code- no way it can be moved closer- shoots up next to a main beam, and another room and bathroom are behind the wall.

Why don't you ask someone(s) in your area that installs stoves?

Since "you know how installers are when it comes to code" it seems like you'd
get a straight answer based on the exact code for your area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:03:19 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
How many inches can a stove gas line be away from the wall when it comes up
in the kitchen? In my kitchen it is about 6"from the wall and then elbows
and shoots the wall, elbows and that's where the shut off valve is. Never
seen it like that before. Want to get a new stove and you know how
installers are when it comes to code- no way it can be moved closer-
shoots up next to a main beam, and another room and bathroom are behind
the wall.

I can't imagine that there would be any code that prevents what you have. I
have a similar setup in one property that I own. As long as there is room
for the new stove to be installed, I doubt that there will be any problem
with the installers.

He dont mention the type of pipe, so I assume it's black iron. I dont
see anything wrong with having several elbows, because that's how gas
pipes are installed. If there is structural joists or beams in the way,
one has to somehow go around them, which it sounds like what was done
here. I'm also assuming he refers to NATURAL GAS, because propane is
often run thru copper tubing. (But black iron also works fine for
propane).