Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Glossy Wood Panelling With Latex

In the past I have prepped wood paneling with something with a name like "liquid sandpaper" - very strong smelling, and I am sure quite toxic. I followed with latex paint, and the results were successful.

Now I have cleaned some fifty-year-old oak paneling with "Sunnyside Gloss Remover," which smells much milder. I was disappointed to read in the instructions that it should be followed with one coat of oil paint before using latex paint.

Any opinions as to whether I should risk it with latex, or perhaps clean again with a stronger agent?

Thank you in advance!

Dwight Gibb

(I always use a mask for organic vapors, out of my conviction that the manufacturers are trying to kill you while making a profit....)
Posted to alt.home.repair

| In the past I have prepped wood paneling with something with a name like
"liquid sandpaper" - very strong smelling, and I am sure quite toxic. I
followed with latex paint, and the results were successful.

| Now I have cleaned some fifty-year-old oak paneling with "Sunnyside Gloss
Remover," which smells much milder. I was disappointed to read in the
instructions that it should be followed with one coat of oil paint before
using latex paint.

| Any opinions as to whether I should risk it with latex, or perhaps clean
again with a stronger agent?

You didn't mention the finish. If it's polyurethane
the liquid sandpaper should work well, but yes, it
should be primed with oil primer before using
water-base. If it's factory-coated paneling then
things like sanding liquid are unlikely to have an
affect. I'd still prime with oil, but acrylic paints stick
much better than they used to. Most companies also
make a smooth surface water-base primer, for use
on glass, enamelled metal, etc. If you don't want
to use oil paint you might check into that primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 5:36:18 PM UTC-8, Dwight Gibb wrote:
In the past I have prepped wood paneling with something with a name like "liquid sandpaper" - very strong smelling, and I am sure quite toxic. I followed with latex paint, and the results were successful.

Now I have cleaned some fifty-year-old oak paneling with "Sunnyside Gloss Remover," which smells much milder. I was disappointed to read in the instructions that it should be followed with one coat of oil paint before using latex paint.

Any opinions as to whether I should risk it with latex, or perhaps clean again with a stronger agent?

Thank you in advance!

Dwight Gibb

(I always use a mask for organic vapors, out of my conviction that the manufacturers are trying to kill you while making a profit....)

Dear Mayayana,

Thanks so much. What a precise and clear answer!
I took your advice and went with the primer for glossy surfaces, which I had not known about.

Best,

Dwight
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Thanks so much. What a precise and clear answer!
| I took your advice and went with the primer for glossy surfaces, which I
had not known about.

You're welcome. I haven't used the primer much,
but I did use it once on a mirror and it seemed to
work well. And I've noticed that even "plain" acrylics
seem to stick far better than they used to. It used
to be that paint on my hands would dissolve if rinsed,
in most cases. If not it would peel easily. With current
wall paints I find I need to scrub it off if I wait more
than a few seconds.