Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Draining Hot Water Heaters

On 4/9/2016 5:46 PM, Micky wrote:
BTW, my last two WH, maybe all 3, do have the thing that swirls the
water when fresh water enters, but I'm not sure if or how that lessens
sediment, despite the vendor's claims. The plastic input tube goes
almost to the bottom of the WH and then goes to the outside and turns
to be parallel to the outside of the circle.

How would that lessen sediment.

The sediment is more likely to go out the hot
water faucet, instead of stay in the tank.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2016 5:46 PM, Micky wrote:

BTW, my last two WH, maybe all 3, do have the thing that swirls the
water when fresh water enters, but I'm not sure if or how that lessens
sediment, despite the vendor's claims. The plastic input tube goes
almost to the bottom of the WH and then goes to the outside and turns
to be parallel to the outside of the circle.

How would that lessen sediment.

It keeps it in suspension and flows out when you use water
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 19:30:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/9/2016 5:46 PM, Micky wrote:

BTW, my last two WH, maybe all 3, do have the thing that swirls the
water when fresh water enters, but I'm not sure if or how that lessens
sediment, despite the vendor's claims. The plastic input tube goes
almost to the bottom of the WH and then goes to the outside and turns
to be parallel to the outside of the circle.

How would that lessen sediment.

It keeps it in suspension and flows out when you use water

In a place with significant amounts of calcium in the water, the
effect is negligible. The stuff falls out of suspension far faster
than the water is used. It may not cake up as bad but it is still
there. Water heaters are a 6-10 year thing and you chuck them.
A water softener helps but it is not a panacea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 5:56:29 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/16/2016 6:28 PM, SeaNymph wrote:
I apologize if this was discussed before my time.

We have an 85 gallon Marathon water heater, which I really like. I've
read different things about periodically training water heaters and I
don't know what to believe.

I'm not sure if its necessary, just wondering what others think.

I've found that it's a good idea to drain the
sediment once a year or so. However, doing so
does not train the WH to do it by itself. You
have to do it for the WH.

Why do you heat hot water? Most folks have cold
water heaters.
--
.

I thought that a hot water heater was a boiler used to make steam? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 19:30:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How would that lessen sediment.

It keeps it in suspension and flows out when you use water

.... keeps sediment from caking into a solid, making the WH work
harder.