Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood panel repair

I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:52 AM, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

These go with everything.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stor... ncyPreference

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

So, there's a stud running down the "middle" of the hole (i.e.,
a portion of the hole between the studs to the left of it and
another portion of the hole between the studs to the right)?

Where is the hole (in terms of its relationship to your living
space? Basement? Living room, etc.?

Where *in* that space: up at the ceiling? crammed in a corner?
down at the floor? etc.

What's on the other side of that space? Why aren't you asking
about how to "patch" THAT side?

[I.e., it would have been helpful if you'd indicated what WAS
in that hole, before, so folks could better visualize the
problem.]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 10:29:17 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

So, there's a stud running down the "middle" of the hole (i.e.,
a portion of the hole between the studs to the left of it and
another portion of the hole between the studs to the right)?

Where is the hole (in terms of its relationship to your living
space? Basement? Living room, etc.?

Where *in* that space: up at the ceiling? crammed in a corner?
down at the floor? etc.

What's on the other side of that space? Why aren't you asking
about how to "patch" THAT side?

[I.e., it would have been helpful if you'd indicated what WAS
in that hole, before, so folks could better visualize the
problem.]

Living room right at eye level.

Re-read my post.

Wood was in the hole. :-)

I was not asked to patch the other side, which is in another room anyway.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 9:04:41 AM UTC-6, dadiOH wrote:
Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Not a repair kind of person ?

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:52 AM, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

If it is high enough, a mirror or picture can cover it. If on the
floor, make a doggie door. Depending on what room it is in, put an
appliance in front of it. Wine cooler or beer keg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Andy typed:
On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Your responses to the answers and suggestions that people took the time to
write seem a little "snarky" to me (not sure if that is the right word, but
you get the idea).

You wrote that you were looking for ideas on "repairing or hiding" the hole
in the paneling.

You wrote that the hole is not in between studs, so presumably there is a
stud running down inside the hole area.

You wrote that they don't make that paneling anymore.

Maybe it would help in understanding your question and knowing what you
actually have there if you could post a photo or two.

But, hey, based on what you wrote, you could probably patch the hole with
any similar thickness piece of paneling (even though it doesn't match
exactly), and attach the repair piece to the existing stud. Before doing
that, you could probably put a "backer piece" behind the hole and glue it to
the current paneling from the back. Then, do the repair piece, attach that
to the stud, and glue that to the backer piece.

That's the "repairing" part.

Then, since it won't match the existing paneling, hang an eye level picture,
painting, mirror, etc. over the "repair".

That will be the "hiding" part.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

I read the post.

It says nothing about "living room", nor "eye level".

Wood was in the hole. :-)

"HVAC duct", "wall safe", "supply register", "return register",
"electrical sub-panel", etc. "Wood" provides no information
about the nature or location of the hole.

I was not asked to patch the other side, which is in another room anyway.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling. Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.
Paneling is no longer made. Hole is not in between studs.
Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture
Make a doggie door
Install a faux register grill
Put a bookcase in front of it
Replace paneling

Not a repair kind of person ?
:-)

Paint ; wallpaper ; Bo Derek poster ; or maybe this ..
http://www.instructables.com/id/Card...-Wall-Hanging/
Always glad to help ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:
In ,
Andy typed:
On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Eye level sitting or standing? I think that's about it. I wonder How the
hole got there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Not a repair kind of person ?

:-)

I am, actually, but I have to know what it is that needs repair..."paneling"
doesn't cut it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:10:06 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
Andy typed:
On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Not much to go on. What kind of paneling is it exactly? They don't
make that kind, but do they make one that is a lighter color and
could be stained to match? If so, maybe replace one panel?
Can't say how to match it with no info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Remove remaining paneling -- to expand the UNDERSIZED HOLE!!

Not a repair kind of person ?

:-)

I am, actually, but I have to know what it is that needs repair..."paneling"
doesn't cut it

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Not a repair kind of person ?

:-)

In the early days of NASA, they spent tens of millions of dollars
developing a special ball point pen that the first astronauts could use
in the weightlessness of orbital flight to make notes on a yellow pad.

The Russkies gave each cosmonaut a box of #2 pencils and a pocket
sharpener like kindergarten kids use...

--
“I’m interested in making sure we get the maximum amount of revenue from
those who can well afford to provide it.”
- Hillary Clinton, February 11, 2016

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Not a repair kind of person ?

:-)

Obviously you aren't. You give no real information, and no picture, and you
expect useful suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 06:52:53 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

If the hole is 8x12", and *NOT* between studs, then the entire wall has
to be made of studs.

Your post makes no sense!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Andy typed:
wrote:

I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in
some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,
Andy

If the hole is 8x12", and *NOT* between studs, then the entire wall
has to be made of studs.

Your post makes no sense!

His does, yours does not. In the 8" opening there is a stud
someplace. Wgy do you find that strnge?

Paneling is painted.

Yikes! In your original post, you mentioned that they no longer make the
same style of paneling. But, I think it would have helped to mention that
the paneling is already painted.

Given that the paneling is painted, creating an almost matching repair
should be easy by doing what you wrote below.

For matching the paint, I would take a large enough chip or piece of the
original paneling (a 1-inch square piece will do) to Home Depot and ask them
to make a color match sample jar of the paint (costs about $3.50 for the
color-matched sample jar). It helps to know if the original paint is flat,
satin, semi-gloss, etc. That saves having to buy a whole quart, gallon,
etc. for such a small repair paint job.

I will cut out hole to a uniform rectangular size and fill in with
wood of the same thickness.

And finish by painting it.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 8:52:58 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks,