Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to repair a mistake in a cabinet door panel

I'm a novice at building raised panel doors and just when I thought
everything was going well when I was cutting the cove in panel, I managed to
take about a one inch chunk out of it. Right where the inner part of the
cove meets. Is there anyway to fix this without starting over. Anyway to
drill out the problem area and put a plug in it? Since this is my first
cabinet project, it has a few other minor errors so I don't expect a perfect
repair for my mistake. The wood is Cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/10 3:40 PM, Neal wrote:
I'm a novice at building raised panel doors and just when I thought
everything was going well when I was cutting the cove in panel, I
managed to take about a one inch chunk out of it. Right where the inner
part of the cove meets. Is there anyway to fix this without starting
over. Anyway to drill out the problem area and put a plug in it? Since
this is my first cabinet project, it has a few other minor errors so I
don't expect a perfect repair for my mistake. The wood is Cherry.

Putty and paint.
;-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02/25/2010 02:40 PM, Neal wrote:
I'm a novice at building raised panel doors and just when I thought
everything was going well when I was cutting the cove in panel, I managed to
take about a one inch chunk out of it. Right where the inner part of the
cove meets. Is there anyway to fix this without starting over.

If it's to be painted, then use putty. If stain grade, you'll have to
cut out a section and find another piece with as close to matching grain
as possible, or else rip the edge off, glue another edge on, and re-cut
the cove.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
On 02/25/2010 02:40 PM, Neal wrote:
I'm a novice at building raised panel doors and just when I thought
everything was going well when I was cutting the cove in panel, I managed
take about a one inch chunk out of it. Right where the inner part of the
cove meets. Is there anyway to fix this without starting over.

If it's to be painted, then use putty. If stain grade, you'll have to
cut out a section and find another piece with as close to matching grain
as possible, or else rip the edge off, glue another edge on, and re-cut
the cove.

Chris

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a piece of
wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I sure have
lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that really matters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2010 5:01 PM, Neal wrote:

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a
piece of wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I
sure have lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that
really matters.

Congratulations ... creative repair of, or camouflaging your big
mistakes (and every project has at least one) is a sign that you're well
on your way to the status of craftsman.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2010 6:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/25/2010 5:01 PM, Neal wrote:

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a
piece of wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I
sure have lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that
really matters.

Congratulations ... creative repair of, or camouflaging your big
mistakes (and every project has at least one) is a sign that you're well
on your way to the status of craftsman.

The mark of a good craftsman is not whether you make mistakes or not but
how well you can make those mistakes appear as something you planned to do
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

On 2/25/2010 5:01 PM, Neal wrote:

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a
piece of wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I
sure have lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that
really matters.

Congratulations ... creative repair of, or camouflaging your big mistakes
(and every project has at least one) is a sign that you're well on your
way to the status of craftsman.

--

Remember, it is not a mistake.

It is a design feature!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:31:24 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/25/2010 5:01 PM, Neal wrote:

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a
piece of wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I
sure have lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that
really matters.

Congratulations ... creative repair of, or camouflaging your big
mistakes (and every project has at least one) is a sign that you're well
on your way to the status of craftsman.

I was taught there were no mistakes, only design alterations.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:43:58 -0500, the infamous FrozenNorth
scrawled the following:

On 2/25/10 3:40 PM, Neal wrote:
I'm a novice at building raised panel doors and just when I thought
everything was going well when I was cutting the cove in panel, I
managed to take about a one inch chunk out of it. Right where the inner
part of the cove meets. Is there anyway to fix this without starting
over. Anyway to drill out the problem area and put a plug in it? Since
this is my first cabinet project, it has a few other minor errors so I
don't expect a perfect repair for my mistake. The wood is Cherry.

Putty and paint.
;-)

No, no no! Putty and sand, stain and poly. THAT's evil.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-02-25 21:44:46 -0500, Mike M said:

I was taught there were no mistakes, only design alterations.

See ABPW.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Neal wrote:

.... snip
. It's fun and that's all that really
matters.

Some days more fun than others. :-)

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2010 5:01 PM, Neal wrote:

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a
piece of wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I
sure have lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that
really matters.

Congratulations ... creative repair of, or camouflaging your big
mistakes (and every project has at least one) is a sign that you're well
on your way to the status of craftsman.

The mark of a good craftsman is not whether you make mistakes or not but
how well you can make those mistakes appear as something you planned to do

Carpentry by Microsoft. "Its not a bug, it's a feature."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2010 5:01 PM, Neal wrote:

I ended up cutting out that section and I fortunately found I had a
piece of wood that was close to the grain of the panel and glued it. I
sure have lots to learn about this stuff. It's fun and that's all that
really matters.

Congratulations ... creative repair of, or camouflaging your big
mistakes (and every project has at least one) is a sign that you're well
on your way to the status of craftsman.

The mark of a good craftsman is not whether you make mistakes or not but
how well you can make those mistakes appear as something you planned to
do

Carpentry by Microsoft. "Its not a bug, it's a feature."

Its so you can see what's in the cabinet without having to reach alllllll
the way over there to open the door.