Igor

Default finishing cabinet panel door

I was just at my sister's house and they had some great looking new custom
cabinets with flat panel doors made by a local guy -- except in a door on a
large pantry cabinet the panel had moved and I could see unfinished areas
on the panel.

Is there a trick to staining/finishing the panel so when it moves around
you don't see any unfinished surface? Do you finish the panel before
assembly -- or, at least stain it first?

I ask because some cabinet doors are on my todo list. Thanks.
Phisherman

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:34:36 -0400, Igor wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:53:56 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

You answered your own question. Just pre-finish the edges of the panel
before gluing up the door and any movement will not result in a visible
unfinished line.

Mike

With stain and poly (for example), or just the stain?

I guess I could save some time by finishing the panel stock all at once,
even before cutting.

I finished all my panels before assembling the door. The panel should
have a small amount of movement so that it is loosely held in place.

Preston Andreas

You can stain only or stain and apply first finish coat before assembly. I
have done both and they both work okay. However, I prefer to put one coat
of finish first. It is easier to clean off dust and any stray glue during
the glue up.

Preston
"Igor" wrote in message
I was just at my sister's house and they had some great looking new custom
cabinets with flat panel doors made by a local guy -- except in a door on

large pantry cabinet the panel had moved and I could see unfinished areas
on the panel.

Is there a trick to staining/finishing the panel so when it moves around
you don't see any unfinished surface? Do you finish the panel before
assembly -- or, at least stain it first?

I ask because some cabinet doors are on my todo list. Thanks.

Igor

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:14:51 GMT, "Preston Andreas"
wrote:

You can stain only or stain and apply first finish coat before assembly. I
have done both and they both work okay. However, I prefer to put one coat
of finish first. It is easier to clean off dust and any stray glue during
the glue up.

Are you talking about just the panel or all of the parts before assembly?

Igor

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:11:18 GMT, "Preston Andreas"
wrote:

I just prefinish the panel. If you prefinish the stiles and rails, you
can't sand the joints if there are any irregularities.

Preston

"irregularities"? Surely you jest!

Thanks.