Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a way to identify PEX pipe?

Last summer I was at a farm auction, and bought a whole stack of plastic
pipe. Most was rolled up, but a few were unwound and thus messy. No one
was very interested, because the stack was pretty messy due to the
unwound ones. So, I got the whole pile for a few bucks.

A few rolls are obviously poly pipe made for underground water supply
(black), but theres a roll of red, orange, and others that are 1/2 or
3/4" sizes as well as a roll of 1" red. Also a bunch of (unrolled) 3/8"
clear.

I think the clear stuff is some sort of dairy tubing used for milking
machines. But I'm not sure about that red or orange stuff. There is no
markings or words on it.

Is there any way to determine if any of this is PEX?

I dont really need it at the moment, but I'd like to try to identify
what I have.

For the price I paid, that black poly pipe alone was worth it, and that
3/8 clear stuff is good for tranferring gasoline, and hose for pump
insecticide sprayers, and other odds and ends around the farm. I already
got my money's worth from that clear stuff alone. But I'd still like to
determine what that other stuff is.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2016 6:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Burning a piece can give you some idea. Polyethylene will smell waxy
but polyvinyl chloride will have an acrid smell due to presence of HCl
PVC is more readily attacked by solvents while PE is not. Put a piece
in acetone and see if it is attacked.

PEX is crosslinked polyethylene and I suppose above advice would not
differentiate between PE and PEX.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 17:27:21 -0600, wrote:

Is there any way to determine if any of this is PEX?

Look along the pipe for markings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:52:34 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Burning a piece can give you some idea. Polyethylene will smell waxy
but polyvinyl chloride will have an acrid smell due to presence of HCl
PVC is more readily attacked by solvents while PE is not. Put a piece
in acetone and see if it is attacked.

PEX is crosslinked polyethylene and I suppose above advice would not
differentiate between PE and PEX.

Thanks for the advice. One thing I never understood is the use of the
word "crosslinked". What exactly does that mean?

I'll have to try these suggestions. I do wonder what would happen if
this was PE, (Not PEX) and I was to install some of it as water pipe,
using regular PEX fittings and clamps? When weather allows, I want to
run some water lines in my barn and would like to use what I have. This
will not be left under pressure, since it will just be connected to the
barn hydrant with a piece of garden hose, when needed to fill stock
tanks. Once the tanks are filled, the water hose will be disconnected,
so all water can drain out (to prevent freezing) in cold weather. I
intend to run this so all pipe slopes toward the hydrant, so it drains
out as soon as I disconnect that short piece of hose.

But if it's NOT PEX, then I suppose I'd be better using regular hose
clamps and barbed fittings. That's why I am trying to determine what I
have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:25:58 -0600, wrote:

One thing I never understood is the use of the
word "crosslinked". What exactly does that mean?

The Internet has more information than you can imagine, if you look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:31:20 -0600, wrote:

I have never seen "WHITE" PEX.

I have. Used to extend red or blue when needed in my house and red was
not available that day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I sure do wonder what that orange stuff is though....

http://www.tscstores.com/RADIANT-OXY...x#.VrvdkC5uldg

... maybe ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2016 7:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Crosslinked means the otherwise linear polymer chains are chemically
bound to each other. PEX with heat will soften but not melt like PE
does. Crosslinking extends the use temperature maybe 20 deg. C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:19:59 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Crosslinked means the otherwise linear polymer chains are chemically
bound to each other. PEX with heat will soften but not melt like PE
does. Crosslinking extends the use temperature maybe 20 deg. C.

PEX can even freeze and not burst. It expands and contracts better
than copper. Even used in NG lines underground, under streets. Same
with water irrigation lines in desert climates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

Breathe DEEP while doing this Cow****.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

[...]

Have you EVER heard of Google or search engines? Obviously you never used
one; including the pimple on your shoulders.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 17:27:21 -0600, wrote:

Is there any way to determine if any of this is PEX?

Look along the pipe for markings.

Could this be known as what is called a klue?

--
Tekkie