Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help identify sink drain pipe connection?

I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I can.

Tradesman, who needs your business, and isn't giving away hard won
knowledge.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 4:12*pm, wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. *The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? *http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. *What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Do you have any objections to using a rubber no-hub coupling?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 1:26*am, Molly Brown wrote:
On Apr 29, 4:12*pm, wrote:

I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. *The house was built in the northeast US in 1965..
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? *http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. *What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Do you have any objections to using a rubber no-hub coupling?

+1
Yep, Fernco type sounds like the solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:12*pm, wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. *The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? *http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. *What is recommended to make this connection?

what is recommended?
I would get out my torch and remove the short piece of pipe still in
the elbow. Solder in a new piece of pipe. Solder on a copper trap
adapter. insert the P-trap into the trap adapter.
(NOT a plumber neither)

What you have is a short piece of pipe that was cut off still in the
elbow. Very tough for a novice to remove especially with just a
propane torch.

You could use a rubber Fernco fitting to make the connection to the P-
trap and it might not leak for 20 years. but then again...

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain?
http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Looks like a copper drain pipe coming out of the wall with the metal end of
an old P-trap still soldered inside the copper pipe.

As someone else suggested, one option is to use a propane or MAP gas torch
and heat the pipe to melt the solder and pull out the old drain pipe that is
inside. Then solder the new one in place.

Or, as also suggested elsewhere, the easiest option would be to connect the
new P-trap pipe to the old drain line using a "Fernco" (it's a brand name)
rubber coupling. That would be my vote.

If you print out the photo and bring it to Home Depot or a hardware store or
a plumbing supply place, they'll tell you what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:12*pm, wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. *The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? *http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. *What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

It appears that the pipe was cut and the stub is still in the old
fitting.

Can you go back further, find a fitting that can be dismantled
correctly and start from there?

When I moved into my house I had an old galvanized drain like that and
wanted to install a disposal. I ended up taking out the galvanized
back to the stack, replaced it with PVC and never looked back. It was
probably 6 feet of pipe, through the floor and over to the stack.

When I removed the old galvanized I found that it had been reduced to
less than an inch of diameter due to the build up of grease and other
crud.

Another option, as noted by others, is a Fernco coupling:

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:12*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, I can.

Tradesman, who needs your business, and isn't giving away hard won
knowledge.

Are you offering to drive to New England to help the guy out? It
would seem that your gas expense might eat into your profit a bit on
the one hour job. Then again, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There ought to be a chain of Butkraks R Us plumbers who work cheap.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:
Yes, I can.

Tradesman, who needs your business, and isn't giving away hard won
knowledge.

Are you offering to drive to New England to help the guy out? It
would seem that your gas expense might eat into your profit a bit on
the one hour job. Then again, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:12:55 -0400, wrote:

I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain?
http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

You are admittedly too cheap to call a plumber and too inexperienced
to know what you're looking at so here is my $0.02.

C A L L A P L U M B E R ! !

Obviously you're going to screw up your attempt to fix the problem.
This could result in a continuous small leak that will lead to mold or
worse or... in dealing with the copper you could catch something on
fire and then your drain issue will be the least of your worries. In
the long run a plumber will be much cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, I can.

Tradesman, who needs your business, and isn't giving away hard won
knowledge.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

That is not nice Chris, I thought you were a good Christian.. Help your
fellow man. WW

wrote in message
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am a good Christian. I'm helping my fellow man, who happens to be a
plumber in this case.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, I can.

Tradesman, who needs your business, and isn't giving away hard won
knowledge.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

That is not nice Chris, I thought you were a good Christian.. Help your
fellow man. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 6:12*pm, wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. *The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? *http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. *What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Yes, it does look like an old piece of pipe is left inside the outer
pipe. Do you want quick and not quite permanent, or longer and more
permanent??

Quick and dirty, use a Fernco type flexible coupling. Should last 10+
yearsif you don't put anything chemically really strong down the
drain.

Take longer and last almost forever, use a big torch and melt solder
and remove old insert pipe and start over. More expensive if you use
copper fittings, but should last 25+ years
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:26:15 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Apr 29, 4:12*pm, wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. *The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain? *http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. *What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Do you have any objections to using a rubber no-hub coupling?

Well thanks all for the feed back. Molly's suggestion what what I
ended up doing. I cut the copper pipe behind the soldered on cast
adapter and used a rubber connection to join the ABS coming off the
trap. Works like a charm.

See? This wasn't worth the cost of calling a plumber. The cost of
the rubber adapter was about $3. Its not that I don't want to support
my local plumber. Its just that there was no way that cost would be
worth the $3 part and my turning of two clamp screws.

I'll save the call for when I actually need him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I am a good Christian. I'm helping my fellow man, who happens to be a
plumber in this case.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, I can.

Tradesman, who needs your business, and isn't giving away hard won
knowledge.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

That is not nice Chris, I thought you were a good Christian.. Help your
fellow man. WW

The reason for this site is to help the OP not have them spend money. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 29, 4:12 pm, wrote:
I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in
1965. Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to
mate up to this drain?
http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

Do you have any objections to using a rubber no-hub coupling?

Well thanks all for the feed back. Molly's suggestion what what I
ended up doing. I cut the copper pipe behind the soldered on cast
adapter and used a rubber connection to join the ABS coming off the
trap. Works like a charm.

Glad it worked out. It is always good to hear from the OP of any post what
the final outcome was
after taking into account the feedback and suggestions that others provided.